DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

Why would you think this? :huh:

Update focused on the announced plane.

Remember viggen isnt really announced when f-14 was in march 2015.

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals

Still, a "Viggen"-announcement was "a few weeks away" or something like that around New Years. So it should be any time now...?

"Week" is DCS slang for year you know.

It also was couple months away in august. My guess is LN waiting for DCS 1.5 and 2.0 merge.

Which is around the corner...I think? Two weeks™?

Waiting for merge of 1.5 and 2.0 makes sense, any patching would have to be done on both builds adding alot of extra work. Thats also why i suspect other near finished modules in the DCS world hasn't popped up yet. C'mon DCS 2.5 (Who makes up these version numbers?)

Go Viggen! :)

76665296.jpg

(Not an AJS, but cool)

Edited by Skjold

"Week" is DCS slang for year you know.

Which is around the corner...I think? Two weeks™?

Actually, wasn't the announcement, when it was first "announced", due sometime March/April last year? :-D

Still, with the amount of details released this New Year, about the aircraft itself, and the progress, the "few weeks" seemed more credible than before.

Oh well... Good thing I'm preoccupied with studying for my PPL.

I doubt it. The Viggen is supposedly nearly done, while the F14 is supposed to be much further away.

Yup...That's what so strange to me. I'm guessing they want to show it and then release it almost immediately. Which would be a weird marketing strategy because there would be no time to build up hype..but I'm no expert.

Yup...That's what so strange to me. I'm guessing they want to show it and then release it almost immediately. Which would be a weird marketing strategy because there would be no time to build up hype..but I'm no expert.

well there is already some hype built up =P.

DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

I doubt it. The Viggen is supposedly nearly done, while the F14 is supposed to be much further away.

True, but Cobra said that we should expect to see videos and typical marketing things before the Viggen launch. Since we didnt see much yet, there could be a chance to see the F14 before if its developing faster. If remember well, Cobra hinted that the Viggen, at that time not yet announced, is far more complex than the Mig21 and even the mist complex one they work on.

True, but Cobra said that we should expect to see videos and typical marketing things before the Viggen launch. Since we didnt see much yet, there could be a chance to see the F14 before if its developing faster. If remember well, Cobra hinted that the Viggen, at that time not yet announced, is far more complex than the Mig21 and even the mist complex one they work on.

The F-14 is far more complex then the Viggen.

Pretty much all the way through is it more complex.

First its a twin seater

wich forces them to make 2 cockpits + a much larger number of displays / gauges etc.

It also adds challanges in how you are to fully operate the aircraft alone (wich is causing them to develop the Jester AI)

Aswell as the Two Player option and how that will work ingame with a pilot and WSO

all of those are complexities the Viggen does not have.

Wich adds ALOT of complexity.

Then its a swing wing aircraft that also adds alot.

It has a more complicated radar aswell as the Optical system

aswell as a large number of other things.

Overall it has alot more complex things then the viggen has.

The only two things for the Viggen would be the Thrust reverser (which should not be that complicated to do)

and the radar.

(and maby to a small degree the Maverick display but thats probably just a question of getting the picture/size correct)

So the Viggen is (should be) significantly less challenging to make then the F-14.

Edited by mattebubben
  • Like 1

The F-14 is far more complex then the Viggen.

Pretty much all the way through is it more complex.

First its a twin seater.

Wich adds ALOT of complexity.

Then its a swing wing aircraft that also adds alot.

It has a more complicated radar aswell as the Optical system

aswell as a large number of other things.

Overall it has alot more complex things then the viggen has.

The only two things for the Viggen would be the Thrust reverser (which should not be that complicated to do)

and the radar.

(and maby to a small degree the Maverick display but thats probably just a question of getting the picture/size correct)

So the Viggen is (should be) significantly less challenging to make then the F-14.

Thanks for the info. So if the Viggen is delayed and its less complex, we shouldnt exoect the F14 in 2016. Lets see

Im not sure exactly what takes alot to model, but of weapon systems maybe the Rb05 would take a bit of time, as it is different to all other current weapon types (i believe)

Dont know if the RB05 would be that difficult to make.

But even if it was i dont think they would hold up the development / release for a single weapon that could be finished later.

And even if the RB05 was one of the staple weapons for the AJ 37 early on it was not as important in later life.

And i also dont think it will be a primary weapon for players in DCS.

I wouldn't say the Viggen is necessarily less complex than the F-14.

The amount of work is less; as the number of systems, components and breadth of work is less -- but some of the Viggens' systems match or exceed the F-14 in complexity.

We've also spent a lot of time improving every aspect of our simulation with the Viggen. Even minor details; such as a dynamically filled out kneeboard which pulls data from your current mission.

Small detail and feature, but adds development time!

We're working very hard at present -- and so are our internal testers. No ETA though other than ASAP!

The F-14 is largely unaffected by Viggen development (rather, it benefits as our codebase matures) and we're still aiming for late 2016.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

The amount of work is less; as the number of systems, components and breadth of work is less -- but some of the Viggens' systems match or exceed the F-14 in complexity.

We've also spent a lot of time improving every aspect of our simulation with the Viggen. Even minor details; such as a dynamically filled out kneeboard which pulls data from your current mission.

We're working very hard at present -- and so are our internal testers. No ETA though other than ASAP!

The F-14 is largely unaffected by Viggen development (rather, it benefits as our codebase matures) and we're still aiming for late 2016.

Thanks for the clarification! No one doubts that every little details is 10s of hours of coding. Hope we see both "ASAP" :thumbup:

Thanks for the report, Nick!

I think in many respects, module development seems like a bit of a black art to the non-developers and those who are less familiar with programming (even for a vfx guy like me :). The timeframes for various components of development, as well as how different 'departments' contribute at different stages, can be difficult to get our heads around. I always enjoy any insight that you (the developers) give on your projects.

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the feedback.

And i never wanted to suggest that the Viggen is not Complex.

Just that as a whole the F-14 feels like its more complex

(everything stacked together)

then the viggen does

(even if it does have its share of complex systems/features)

And again thanks for the feedback and i know the viggen will be a first day purchase for me.

:pilotfly:

Sounds great! In the end all those small things that don't really seem like "important" parts probably takes the most time becuase of the quantity of them. Hope to be flying the viggen soon over sweden dropping metric tonnes of lemons. :pilotfly: (The svenskjævlar dropped 6 lemons at us from the air in 1911 to insult us for not having an air force :mad:)

Any chance of a new ETA for when you will make the official announcement?

Don't ask. Officially the announcement was supposed to happen in August of 2015. They stopped giving ETA's a few months back, for the better. Sit back, relax, and be pleasently surprised when the announcement actually come. Only madness and rage lie in the direction of asking LN for ETAs.