DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

The only reason why this thread still works even though it has so many pages making digging for info hard is the fact that everybody is so helpful.

I dont think i have ever seen somebody telling someone to find it yourself on this thread.

If someone asks a question others will always try to answer them and that to me is what makes for a good forum/thread.

That probably makes this "the thread". :D

Before anyone continues the RWR political side of things, let me remind you that discussing political issues on this forum is discouraged heavily. And personal accusations arent looked at positively either. Let's be civil and adult about this.

No better day than a friday.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

The only reason why this thread still works even though it has so many pages making digging for info hard is the fact that everybody is so helpful.

I dont think i have ever seen somebody telling someone to find it yourself on this thread.

If someone asks a question others will always try to answer them and that to me is what makes for a good forum/thread.

Big kudos to yourself, renhanxue and the other Swedes for all that you have brought to the community through this thread, the declassified manuals etc. :thumbup:

I don't think any other upcoming module has anywhere near as much information on the forum as the Viggen. This makes me reallly want to fly it :)

And thats one of the reasons why i do it (and im sure one of the reasons that other swedes to it as well).

Majority of Swedes are very proud of the Viggen and its loved by pretty much all Swedes that are interested in fighter jets etc.

Where as outside of Sweden its not as well known so it would not have the same interest internationally as a F/A-18C or F-14A/B and as such i love to try to get people interested in the Viggen by talking about it and spreading info about it.

While at the same time trying to educate people on the differences on the different Viggen variants and what to expect from the AJS 37

(so people dont expect a fighter Viggen with BVR missiles from the 1980s with advanced systems and get disappointed when what they are getting is the 1970s Attack variant with some minor 1990s changes).

We Swedes love the Viggen so we want you guys to as well ^^.

And this is also a perfect time for the Viggen since it will bring new features and a new breath of fresh air to the game as there is nothing like the

AJS 37 Viggen in DCS

(Mach 2 capable Anti-Ship/Attack aircraft with funky 1970s tech and a old school air-ground radar).

• Like 1

:D in my squadron I am already known for talking about the Viggen all the time literally. :D

Funny part ist, that we have a real swede also as a member but I am known for talking more about it then him. ;DD We are already doing training in low level high speed a2g for our future Viggen wing. :)) Anything higher then 60ft is to high. No excuses ! :D

Powerlines are to be underflown on final approach to target. :D

Kinda curious how much harder it will be to do that without the FBW.

Although in general, I expect to be able to achieve more with the Viggen due to its nature of beeing intended for A2G, then with the Mirage.

Also the Viggen can carry roughly 20% more fuel while consuming pretty much the same on 100%RPM and the same on stage 2 AB, only on stage 3AB it really eats more fuel then the Mirage, but also has roughly 20kn more thrust, so I guess thats usefuell. :D

Cant wait to pwne people with the RB05 btw. :D

Edited by microvax

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

Yes we Swedes LOVE the Viggen :D It's not very pretty to look at and its capabilities are rather modest in most areas, but it's OUR fighter. It may not be the BEST fighter but it's OUR fighter and we're damn proud of it :)

(and if you understand the context it was meant to operate within it actually IS very capable)

Renhanxue, since you like to dig in archives, would you happen to know anything about the swedish evaluation of the F-4 Phantom (as mentioned
)?

I don't know anything about that at all, but I bet it could be declassified today. If I could find the documents about it, that is. It's probably somewhere in the archives of Kungl. Flygförvaltningen but I don't really know where to start. Still, I'll keep it in mind - probably a lot of people would be interested in that!

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply guys! I personally can't wait for the Viggen: is a very interesting aircraft and it is going to be the first capable dedicated strike one. Every day I get disappointed that the Viggen has not been released yet, but the enthusiasm is immense.

Bring it on!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Alis Aquilae Aut Pax Aut Bellum"

Veritech's DCS YouTube Channel

In the recently declassified manual, thanks to renhanxue for that, there was a part about the RB15 sea skimming anti ship missile that caught my attention. It described how you could set the behaviour for the RB15 missile, and I took it upon myself to translate it to english.

The page I translated is page 92 of the AJS37 part 3 (page 92 of the pdf that is). There is about 9 pages after that describing the various settings with images and such.

As far as I can tell these are the settings you can set from the cockpit, and it seems really awesome.

And here's a link to it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JVoI4SDFulOEPx3GnQq28QoRWdedKJeEVRCV2aYkXAk/edit?usp=sharing

I was very tired, but inspired, at the time, so I apologize for any silly errors in translation and brain farts that might be in here. Also feel free to correct me if I got something wrong.

Enjoy :thumbup:

Edited by JanTelefon
  • Like 1

In the recently declassified manual, thanks to renhanxue for that, there was a part about the RB15 sea skimming anti ship missile that caught my attention. It described how you could set the behaviour for the RB15 missile, and I took it upon myself to translate it to english.

The page I translated is page 92 of the AJS37 part 3 (page 92 of the pdf that is). There is about 9 pages after that describing the various settings with images and such.

As far as I can tell these are the settings you can set from the cockpit, and it seems really awesome.

And here's a link to it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JVoI4SDFulOEPx3GnQq28QoRWdedKJeEVRCV2aYkXAk/edit?usp=sharing

I was very tired, but inspired, at the time, so I apologize for any silly errors in translation and brain farts that might be in here. Also feel free to correct me if I got something wrong.

Enjoy :thumbup:

As far i remember the Robot (missile=robot in swe) it was (always) programmed on the ground, stored on the "stick", even if there was a possibility to address parameters while airborne, it was done on the ground all times. If one thinks once and twice over the settings, it was things that pre-op gathering gave all answers on, only when engaging large fleet's of incoming hostile armadas was all the settings prearranged in the load out depending on aircraft number and squadron/four group tactics and threat analysis. All stored on the stick.

Recce flights identified "most wanted" ship in the formation. And at least Rb-15 could also identify ship type, but technology behind this isn't open info yet. Rb-15 could be launched from distance and behind island "dead ground" position if u planned mission on the ground and ships was in distance from cover. Even over open sea one could make robot behave sneaky, you can see this if you watch SAAB infomercials on YouTube for the system.

In game, I'm not sure how much one could programme, guessing we will have to punch it all in manually, while in cockpit. IRL it's another procedure.

Example (mark 3-version, turns harder and more programmable, more resistant to ECM, in game version should be mark 1 I would imagine or mark 2 that came in the med 90-it's)

Maybe this one is better (mark1-2)

Edited by Mongolf
  • Like 1

Yes. I do realize that in the real world the Missile would be programmed according to recon data.

I was however curious if the thing even could be programmed in flight or in mission (if you were to fly something like blue flag, and the missile can't be programmed in the mission editor). It turns out that can, which makes me very happy. Even if the default settings probably will cover most situations pretty well, it's good to actually (both in game and in real life as it were) be able to tweak it should you want to.

Can't wait to sink fleets with this thing. :)

The RBS 15 we are getting is the RBS 15F.

The RBS 15M (MK1),and the Mk2/MK3 variants are all Ship or ground launched variants.

The RBS 15F is the Air launched variant of the RBS 15M and is the variant the AJS 37 will be carrying.

The F is the designation on the platform, in this case F for Flyg, the Mark designations is for the "generation"

So Rb-15F is in versions mark1,2 0r 3, but exact specifications aren't 100% comparative so for example mark 2 surface to surface version isn't 100% same as mark 2 Air to surface robot, but generally speaking is the capabilities somewhat same, specs on envelope differ some.

The fact that u generally never see mark-designations on the F version, I guess is because SAAB never marketed the F version in the same way as for the customers and pretended customers on the land base versions.

Also, mark upgrade was first on land based systems first, same changes came shortly there after on the Rb-15F

To clarify: the "mark designation" was used on the navy versions in the salecampaigns, but also the Rb-15F has undergone similar development. I think for example latest version that is used is Rbs-15 F ER for extended range, anti ECM and waypoint programming and general capabilities is closest matched to "mark3" somewhere in my memorie I think I've heard something about the warhead, the Airforceversion had some trick up its sleeve. If it where that it is more all round, bridge and large structure capabilities.

Edited by Mongolf

We will most likely get the RBS 15F (MK1) and maybe the RBS 15F Mk2 as well as it entered service in late 90s.

Though while the RBS 15F MK2 has some advantages i dont know if they are enough for them two add two different variants instead of just going with the Standard 15F.

Edited by mattebubben

We will most likely get the RBS 15F (MK1) and maybe the RBS 15F Mk2 as well as it entered service in late 90s.

Thought while the RBS 15F MK2 has some advantages i dont know if they are enough for them two add two different variants instead of just going with the Standard 15F.

For the game DCS, no I don't think so, I agree on that. IRL I think the latest versions has some really clever tricks. It's a large payload, warhead can do much more then blow up the guts on ships.