DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

The Viggen has everything. Compound delta wing, "lumpy" area ruled fuselage, thrust reverser, in-line bogie main landing gear, and the smell of surströmming in the cockpit. What more can you ask for? It's much more interesting than the boring F-16 the RNoAF flies.

The Viggen has everything. Compound delta wing, "lumpy" area ruled fuselage, thrust reverser, in-line bogie main landing gear, and the smell of surströmming in the cockpit. What more can you ask for? It's much more interesting than the boring F-16 the RNoAF flies.

The Viggen was offered for export to Norway and all the other NATO nations that ended up buying the F-16. It was marketed under the name "Eurofighter" and would have been based on the JA 37.

It sure is more interesting, but it's a way more specialized design, that can't compete with the norwegian F-16s in most regards. It's an older design though and hasn't been upgraded as much as the F-16s.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It sure is more interesting, but it's a way more specialized design, that can't compete with the norwegian F-16s in most regards. It's an older design though and hasn't been upgraded as much as the F-16s.

Well in what way?.

And also the Saab 37E (Eurofighter) that was offered to the Norweigans (and other Nato nations like Denmark,Belgium and the netherlands) was not the same as the AJ 37 or the later JA 37 (as it was on the possibilities board in the mid 70s).

So it would have been tailored to the needs of the customers.

And would most likely have been a multirole aircraft (Fighter capabilities and BVR missiles as well as advanced air-ground capabilities).

(Norway was also apparently offered the Viggen at an earlier stage in 1967-1968 before the Viggen entered into service and that would probably have been more or less a AJ 37)

And the Swedish Viggen variants are well capable to compete with the Norweigan F-16s (if we look at the time the Viggen was in service).

And if you compare the capabilities of the Norweigan F-16s with the corresponding abilities of the Viggen its very comparable.

Since sure the F-16A might be a better fighter then the AJ37 but its no better fighter (over all) then the JA 37

(that entered around the same time as the F16)

And the AJ 37 is not really any worse then the F-16A in the Air-ground area either.

and as i understood it the Saab 37E would be fully multirole (so you would only need 1 version instead of two).

And the Viggen would also have advantages for Norway as it would be more adapted to the Winter etc (better handling on ice as well as be able to use shorter runways during winter etc).

A minor update for ye fellow Viggenites!

The crunch continues.

Most of our work is still focused on fixing issues, blocking bugs, ironing out inconsistencies, fixing things that were broken due to version changes and adding a few very minor missing features.

We've also been working hard on auxiliary content that is somewhat seperate from the aircraft.

This includes the training suite, the mini campaign, the main campaign, and a third mini campaign for NTTR.

A lot of effort and time has been lately spent on optimizing the aircraft and the code and/or calculations behind various systems.

We've offloaded the ground radar and a few other items to seperate threads and cores, significantly minimizing impact on CPU time.

Additional time has been spent on writing various automated tests, including tests to ascertain stability (to fix crashes) and to automatically test flight parameters and/or performance.

We're nervous and excited for you all to fly the aircraft. <insert S-Word>

Many thanks for your support, always!

LN

Edited by Cobra847
  • Like 1

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

The JA 37 had the advantage in the air-to-air role over the initial versions of the F-16. Which is unsurprising considering it was optimized entirely for that role.

There are few to come to mind but not sure if they apply right now.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Thanks Cobra! :)

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeeeeesssss

Personally I hope the Viggen comes before the Hornet. If the Viggen came after there wouldn't be enough hype to go around.

Yea me to.

Im sure a ton of people will still get it right away (Including me ofc) but being before the hornet should give it a few more buyers.

Since it will be the first aircraft with Anti-ship missiles the first supersonic attack aircraft as well as the first aircraft with an air-ground radar.

And those are all things that the F/A-18 can do as well.

A lot of effort and time has been lately spent on optimizing the aircraft and the code and/or calculations behind various systems.

We've offloaded the ground radar and a few other items to seperate threads and cores, significantly minimizing impact on CPU time.

Additional time has been spent on writing various automated tests, including tests to ascertain stability (to fix crashes) and to automatically test flight parameters and/or performance.

LN

My I7 6850K is in love with you ! Gimme all ze threads ! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

Well in what way?.

And also the Saab 37E (Eurofighter) that was offered to the Norweigans (and other Nato nations like Denmark,Belgium and the netherlands) was not the same as the AJ 37 or the later JA 37 (as it was on the possibilities board in the mid 70s).

So it would have been tailored to the needs of the customers.

And would most likely have been a multirole aircraft (Fighter capabilities and BVR missiles as well as advanced air-ground capabilities).

(Norway was also apparently offered the Viggen at an earlier stage in 1967-1968 before the Viggen entered into service and that would probably have been more or less a AJ 37)

And the Swedish Viggen variants are well capable to compete with the Norweigan F-16s (if we look at the time the Viggen was in service).

And if you compare the capabilities of the Norweigan F-16s with the corresponding abilities of the Viggen its very comparable.

Since sure the F-16A might be a better fighter then the AJ37 but its no better fighter (over all) then the JA 37

(that entered around the same time as the F16)

And the AJ 37 is not really any worse then the F-16A in the Air-ground area either.

and as i understood it the Saab 37E would be fully multirole (so you would only need 1 version instead of two).

And the Viggen would also have advantages for Norway as it would be more adapted to the Winter etc (better handling on ice as well as be able to use shorter runways during winter etc).

The JA 37 had the advantage in the air-to-air role over the initial versions of the F-16. Which is unsurprising considering it was optimized entirely for that role.

I was comparing the latest swedish AJ/JA 37 with the latest norwegian F-16 and in that case the norwegian F-16 is clearly the better choice overall. The biggest disadvantage of the Viggen (even back at the time of the norwegian decision) is, that it needs different variants for different roles. The 37E would have changed that from what you say, but I have absolutly no knowledge of this variant. :)

But I for sure would prefer the Viggen over the boring and well known F-16 all day long :D

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

The crunch continues.

Most of our work is still focused on fixing issues, blocking bugs, ironing out inconsistencies, fixing things that were broken due to version changes and adding a few very minor missing features.

We've also been working hard on auxiliary content that is somewhat seperate from the aircraft.

This includes the training suite, the mini campaign, the main campaign, and a third mini campaign for NTTR.

LN

Thanks for the update!! I really appreciate it, even though it makes waiting even harder, because of increasing excitement :D

I don't think I've ever been that excited for a DCS module as I am for the Viggen. The wait is really killing me. :joystick:

How about an official anouncement of the module?

Tornado3 small.jpg

The biggest disadvantage of the Viggen (even back at the time of the norwegian decision) is, that it needs different variants for different roles (...)

...and the fact that the Viggen (and later Gripen) wasn't made in the US. After getting US aircraft for free as military aid during the cold war, buying from anyone else has, unfortunately, been out of the question after we had to start paying for them. The "competition" a few years ago was heavily biased towards the F-35 (which lead to both Eurofighter and Dassault pulling their tenders before the final stages of the competition), and I'm sure it was the same way 40 years ago.

Oh wow, this made me very happy to hear. i think the S word must be Svenska, the Swedish guys i fly with are having problems controlling themselves!

Ridiculous to ask a question, but I'm interested if LNS are going to full release or some type of early access with limited functionality to begin with?

The crunch continues.

LN

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Oh wow, this made me very happy to hear. i think the S word must be Svenska, the Swedish guys i fly with are having problems controlling themselves!

Ridiculous to ask a question, but I'm interested if LNS are going to full release or some type of early access with limited functionality to begin with?

Personally i would lean towards the S word Being "Soon"

as in "We're nervous and excited for you all to fly the aircraft Soon"

Personally i would lean towards the S word Being "Soon"

as in "We're nervous and excited for you all to fly the aircraft Soon"

Took me a day to figure out but I agree with Mattebubben, I think he ment "soon".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have the impression, that it has full functionality already :)

Tornado3 small.jpg