DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

There was non for the MiG-21 (pls correct me if I'm wrong), so I don't think there will be one for the Viggen, as it never had one. Sure, in theory export-Viggens probably would have been converted to the imperial system, but that is just a theory. It never happened. So I don't see a reason to implement it, as it would just be an unrealistic game helper. Real Viggen pilots needed to cope with their metric system when they flew together with other air forces. It should be the same for us :)

L-39 from ED has this option, so thought it would be nice to have here too

L-39 from ED has this option, so thought it would be nice to have here too

I don't know if there are imperial variants of the L-39 IRL, but there are't any imperial variants of the AJS-37, as it has never been exported unlike the L-39.

And LNS is not ED ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The AJSH37 in Lelystad (Aviodrome) has this metric-imperial table below the HUD: Viggen pilots also had to do some conversion ;-)

Btw, this Viggen also had a repaint in shiny, wrong colors.

Saab-Viggen-Straaljager.jpg

Image2.thumb.jpg.c3f16d1d7be566edc538507d7fb1cfa1.jpg

Edited by Snail

How (s)low can you go

The AJSH37 in Lelystad (Aviodrome) has this metric-imperial table below the HUD: Viggen pilots also had to do some conversion ;-)

attachment.php?attachmentid=152623&d=1480589922

That would be a nice thing to have instead of unrealistic imperial instruments. :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Nice to have when talking to civilian ATC.

Don't know how swedes did it but at least in Finland ATC (military and civilian) did the conversions. So military pilots just used whatever units they had on the instruments for speed / altitude or height when communicating with ATC.

Don't know how swedes did it but at least in Finland ATC (military and civilian) did the conversions. So military pilots just used whatever units they had on the instruments for speed / altitude or height when communicating with ATC.

Same in Sweden. But when SwAF went abroad, they had to use feet for altitude.

I'm a civilian instrument rated commercial pilot. I've flown the Viggen simulators at F15 museum (at an abandoned airbase) and at Novelair. It was very hard to get used to the altimeter, showing meters, and having 0 at the 6 o'clock position..! :)

Actually, there is a similar table in LNS' Viggen cockpit. :-)

Uhm, where? I haven't noticed it so far.

Tornado3 small.jpg

I think the table is just below the radar screen. Hard to tell from looking at screenshots on my phone...

Edit: It's a conversion table from IFR and VFR flight levels (two-digit, hundreds of feer, standard altimeter setting, 1013 hPa) to meters.

Edited by Dahlbeck

I think the table is just below the radar screen. Hard to tell from looking at screenshots on my phone...

You might be right with that! I really haven't noticed that below the radar... Now I see it as well. But yeah, it's hard to tell what it actually is.

Edit:

It's a conversion table from IFR and VFR flight levels (two-digit, hundreds of feer, standard altimeter setting, 1013 hPa) to meters.

Alright, thanks, nice find!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thanks, that is not a conversion table for altitude.

Looks like a IFR/VFR table?

Edited by Kilrah

ASUS Z370, i7 8086K @ 5,2 Ghz, ASUS Strix GTX 1080, 16GB Ram, TM HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR 5, Saitek combat rudders, 25" 1440p monitor, Oculus Rift

That is weird. I can swear that I saw a screenshot with flightlevel to metres (not feet to metres) and then compared it to a photo of a real cockpit (the one just posted earlier in this thread) which had a FL to feet to metres table and thought we should have that in the sim instead. Hmm...

Anyway, waiting for the Viggen. In frustration (ok, maybe not the only reason...), I went and got a Private Pilot License, so I can confirm that those numbers correspond to deconfliction flight levels (basically everthing going east is separated by 1000 ft from westbound traffic and VFR from IFR in the same direction by 500 ft).

Edit: I realised that the above only makes sense if you found the feet numbers in the table off to even 1000s and 500s.

Edit 2: Looking closer and doing the math, it seems the table in the LNS screenshot is not a conversion table but rather just altitudes in metres that roughly correspond to the standard flight levels that you are supposed to choose according to the so called half circle rule.

Edited by Dahlbeck

There is a conversion table on the preceeding page.

It's the same as the Odd/Even altitudes for civil aviation. If you are on heading 000-179 you fly odd flightlevels (or altitudes if below transition altitude) e.g. 1000' 3000' 5000' add 500' if VFR, 1500' 3000'. If on a heading of 180-359 you fly the even levels, 2000' 4000' 6000' and add 500' if VFR.

The Swedish Airforce operates mostly in uncontrolled airspace, so deconflicting with civilian GA traffic is good airmanship, and promotes a long and healty life ;)