DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

Pre-purchased the Viggen in first hour, even when I needed to spend 30min to rationalize the addition to virtual hangar by aircraft capabilities.

I am little sad that I finally purchased the L-39 (cheap one really, why not big deal) as after all the hype etc isn't so nice to fly, and we're little worried about same case for Viggen.

But reading about the jamming and CM pods etc and finally seeing the ground radar operation, it started to sound a great addition.

Now I can't wait the date to be able fly it and start roadstrip missions like I did first time I got Mig-21Bis (as well designed for road landings and take-off) to do anti-ship operations. I really liked long time ago to do anti-ship with Su-25A and T and the range was fairly problematic when you got saturated with missiles, now that to be changed!

One thing needed to do now on first tests is to see can a Su-27 intercept a Viggen anti-ship missiles like it can do for HARPOON missile and shoot it down with R-27ET.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Also, isn't the green maverick an RB-75T?

15732342_1818353628387307_7478169363951225024_o.jpg?oh=5a36123412347a1c01f0c928fce83816&oe=5923A647

They're either a placeholder for the 75T in the form of AGM-65D (which I doubt), or they're the RB-75T! :D

15844154_1818353635053973_1006567112365603040_o.jpg?oh=e3af55b8aa9b5d159872e1afc4fff9aa&oe=58E0BAB4

I think its the 75T...The paint trim is definitely different from an AGM-65D

15250738_1804975729725097_2248462833551559859_o.jpg?oh=284e3afb73f251687e5490d6cea4950f&oe=5921D5F8

Edited by Ice_Cougar

Hi,

Can we assume TILS will be compatible with current ILS beacons already in-game? and each channel freq can be configured via ME?

Regads

Perhaps the TILS system will be enabled by spawning a special vehicle or structure using the ME at an airfield (an option to spawn all of these at every airfield automatically would probably be in order. But this would allow any good mission-designer to make any road that he/she sees fit to be an airfield...an airfield! Structures like FOBs and road-side hangars could become place-able structures and some really cool re-arming scenarios could be generated too!

Either that or they just make the system compatible with the default airfields :P

Also, isn't the green maverick an RB-75T?

15732342_1818353628387307_7478169363951225024_o.jpg?oh=5a36123412347a1c01f0c928fce83816&oe=5923A647

They're either a placeholder for the 75T in the form of AGM-65D (which I doubt), or they're the RB-75T! :D

15844154_1818353635053973_1006567112365603040_o.jpg?oh=e3af55b8aa9b5d159872e1afc4fff9aa&oe=58E0BAB4

I think its the 75T...The paint trim is definitely different from an AGM-65D

15250738_1804975729725097_2248462833551559859_o.jpg?oh=284e3afb73f251687e5490d6cea4950f&oe=5921D5F8

My guess would be that they are just AGM-65Ds use to represent a Inert RB 75.

Since Green was the Swedish Color Code for Inert Weapons so i dont see why they would change this with having the RB 75T in Green =P.

To my knowledge the RB 75T would be Visually identical to the normal RB 75 (So AGM-65A) it uses the same body / Sensor the only difference is in the warhead.

Edited by mattebubben

Perhaps the TILS system will be enabled by spawning a special vehicle or structure using the ME at an airfield (an option to spawn all of these at every airfield automatically would probably be in order. But this would allow any good mission-designer to make any road that he/she sees fit to be an airfield...an airfield! Structures like FOBs and road-side hangars could become place-able structures and some really cool re-arming scenarios could be generated too!

Either that or they just make the system compatible with the default airfields :P

If LNS are going for accurate system simulation we'd have to get some kind of deployable landing system for the mission editor (after all, that's how the system was used IRL). The Ku-band pulse coded TILS signals are nothing like regular ILS, and are completely incompatible. If LNS are willing to sacrifice some accuracy for playability (as with the support for AGM-65Bs), it would be nice to be able to set up the TILS channels for regular ILS/PRMG frequencies as well.

Isint it the RB75? Which is the same as the AGM65B?

the RB 75 is the Swedish Designation for the AGM-65A.

With the RB 75T being a AGM-65A with a heavy blast-fragmentation

warhead like some of the Later AGM-65 Variants.

Sweden never acquired the AGM-65B but Leatherneck have said they are gonna add it as well since it would be useable by the AJS 37

(as it was compatible with any aircraft capable of using the AGM-65A)

and it has a Zoom function that will make it easier to use compared to the RB 75s with their Zoomed out Seekers.

(that make the RB 75 / 75T harder to use for target acquisition etc then they would have been IRL due to ingame limitations concerning resolution etc).

Edited by mattebubben

the RB 75 is the Swedish Designation for the AGM-65A.

With the RB 75T being a AGM-65A with a heavy blast-fragmentation

warhead like some of the Later AGM-65 Variants.

Sweden never acquired the AGM-65B but Leatherneck have said they are gonna add it as well since it would be useable by the AJS 37

(as it was compatible with any aircraft capable of using the AGM-65A)

and it has a Zoom function that will make it easier to use compared to the RB 75s with their Zoomed out Seekers.

(that make the RB 75 / 75T harder to use for target acquisition etc then they would have been IRL due to ingame limitations concerning resolution etc).

Unless the solution was found in tweaking the resolution of the image display. A zoomable RB75 feels a bit like cheating (though it's useful ingame ;-) )

How (s)low can you go

So if I understand this correctly they are using ED's AGM65B instead of designing their own Rb 75?

I asked on the AMA and they said they're developing their own implementations of the seeker head behavior. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the A-10C.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

No. The 65B is in addition to the Rb75/T. So there will be 3 different Mavs available.

Oh... Well thats a bit strange then IMO. At least we have the option not to use it. I know I wont if indeed it was not carried by the Viggen

I dont think there is a AGM 65B ingame atm =P

if so what aircraft has it? the earliest that can be carried by the A-10A ingame

is the AGM-65D.

Youre right I think I was mistaken with another game that has Bs (Falcon 4.33 most likely)

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@ mattebubben - If green indicates inert in Sweden what colour is live ordnance?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Sweden follow the NATO standard i think.

Yellow = Live

Green = Inert

Blue = Practice

Brown = Ballast warhead

Red = incendiary

White = Illumination

That's true these days but im not sure we always did. :-) I found this old chart. :-)

012uMXAizJdJ?dimension=1200x1200

Not during the Cold War. The standard was similar, but different enough to be confusing. For projectile weapons of caliber 20mm and greater, hand grenades and rockets, the base color of the body of the round is as follows:

Black: AP (kinetic), APHE, HEAT

Red: SAP (semi armor piercing)

Grey, unpainted or "special surface treatment": HE, canister, smoke, incendiary, illumination

Yellow: HE (60mm caliber or less only)

Green: inert (or mockup round)

Additionally, there should be a ring painted on the round (or around the warhead, in the case of rockets where the warhead and the rocket body count as two separate rounds) that denotes the type of warhead, as follows:

Yellow: explosive (omitted if the round is already yellow)

Orange: incendiary

Light grey: smoke

Blue: practice (if the round is manufactured solely for practice use, it can be painted entirely blue)

Brown: dummy (inert warhead with the appropriate weight but no effect)

In the case of rockets they usually seem to have painted the entire warhead in this color - the marking standard mentions that "for ease of manufacturing, the ring may sometimes be extended to cover the entire body of the projectile". Additionally a black ring may be added to denote that the round has some armor piercing ability (for example some HE rounds with thicker walls that still aren't quite SAP).

Special cases (going down the pedantry rabbithole now just for the sake of it):

- illumination rounds have the word LYS in white somewhere on them, and usually the duration of the light is also added

- tracers are denoted by either a ring around the tip of the projectile or the last two digits of the manufacturing year of the tracer, in the same color as the light of the tracer itself (exception for some yellow rounds that have tracer as standard where this may be omitted)

- the letters RSV ("riktad sprängverkan", shaped charge) is sometimes added to HEAT rounds

- canister rounds are marked with the letters GRKT ("granatkartesch")

Ammunitionskatalog för flygvapnet has pictures of all of this in action. Live rb 75's are white (counts as "unpainted", I guess) with a yellow ring, HEAT rockets are grey with a black warhead with a yellow ring, practice rockets are grey with a brown warhead, etc. Green with a yellow ring would be rather confusing since it would indicate that the round is inert but has a live warhead.

e: RaXha got there first, with a handy illustration to boot.

Edited by renhanxue

Also ammunition can vary a great deal in how dangerous it is to practice with within the same color range.

I remember that we used Blue hand grenades and they basically had a small fire cracker inside that you could replace and they where used for training.

But the 9mm rounds that the AT4 anti tank weapon used which had the same ballistics as the projectile where as dangerous as any 9mm round.

9mm??

[slightly off topic] Sub-caliber training kits are available for several types of shoulder launched anti-armor weapons (rocket propelled grenade launchers and recoilless rifles like the Carl Gustaf etc). They use specially made tracer rounds with ballistic properties that are quite similar to the real thing, so they can be used for cheap training. The sub-caliber devices consist of a complete barrel and breech(w/striker) assembly that mounts in the barrel of the weapon system in question.