DCS updater problems

Digll

Hey guys, I'm having this constant issue with the dcs_updater.exe where it corrupts itself every time it trys to 'update itself'.

Each time it scans and discovers a new openbeta 1.5 is locks up on the updating myself portion, and 'cancel' won't close it. My system won't even shutdown itself and has to be cold booted. It doesn't effect the systems operation, the thread is just locked and will not close, or finish updating.

Once the reboot is complete the dcs_updater.exe is corrupt, and I have to run the updater repair process from the sticky thread in order to get it to function. After it is repaired I am able to update, until the next patch or hot fix and this cycle repeats.

I just downloaded the 2.0 Alpha in the hopes that it would be resolved but of course it immediately ate shit trying to update itself from the posted version "DCS Updater 2.6.11.47"'

This is obviously a huge pain in the ass. Is anyone having similar issues and a more permanent solution? As of now it seems like 1.5 beta isn't even updating with my procedure of repairing the updater which used to work.

System Specs:

Win 7 64bit, 2x 980 SLI, i7-3770k

Edited by Digll

It's just the update process that's broken, and I have replaced the DCS_updater.exe from a the main branch of 1.2 since it's the same file it seems.

Game runs great, and praise the sun with all the greatness that 1.5 brings. It's just the updater...

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys, I'm having this constant issue with the dcs_updater.exe where it corrupts itself every time it trys to 'update itself'.

Each time it scans and discovers a new openbeta 1.5 is locks up on the updating myself portion, and 'cancel' won't close it. My system won't even shutdown itself and has to be cold booted. It doesn't effect the systems operation, the thread is just locked and will not close, or finish updating.

Once the reboot is complete the dcs_updater.exe is corrupt, and I have to run the updater repair process from the sticky thread in order to get it to function. After it is repaired I am able to update, until the next patch or hot fix and this cycle repeats.

I just downloaded the 2.0 Alpha in the hopes that it would be resolved but of course it immediately ate shit trying to update itself from the posted version "DCS Updater 2.6.11.47"'

This is obviously a huge pain in the ass. Is anyone having similar issues and a more permanent solution? As of now it seems like 1.5 beta isn't even updating with my procedure of repairing the updater which used to work.

System Specs:

Win 7 64bit, 2x 980 SLI, i7-3770k

you can download the latest version of Dcs updater from:

updates.digitalcombatsimulator.com

also make sure you dont have a antivirus software, UAC or Firewall blocking it.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 1 month later...

I have downloaded the latest updates, but I still 1.5.2 when I open the game, and 1.5.2.48726 when logged in.

How do I become convinced I do indeed have the latest update?

badfinger

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

• ED Team

please attach your autoupdate_log.txt which can be found in your dcs install location

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...

"...Each time it scans and discovers a new openbeta 1.5 is locks up on the updating myself portion, and 'cancel' won't close it. My system won't even shutdown itself and has to be cold booted. It doesn't effect the systems operation, the thread is just locked and will not close, or finish updating... "

Search C: drive for dcs_updater.exe and use that exe or download new version if you don't have it in C:.

Edited by Hydrox

• ED Team
The installed version 1.5.3.50487.22 is up to date."

how come ?

OPEN BETA updated, release version has not yet

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

I just read not too use the auto updater. What is what...

were did you read that?

3 versions currently running

1.5.3 release stable version - Caucasus

1.5.3 open beta - Caucasus

2.0 open alpha - Nevada

currently 2.0 is being used to publicly test the neveda terrain, and the Caucasus map in 1.5 is currently being worked on to work with edge the new graphics engine. At some point 1.5 and 2.0 will merge but we have no time line for that currently.

They run independently and can be found here

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/

if your updater is broken you can get a new one here

http://updates.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

Edited by BIGNEWY

Am I missing something, 2 days ago I had an e mail saying 1.5.3 was updated to version

Nothing happens with the In Game updater, ran repair twice, removed all Mods, nothing, each time I run it I get this, which I already know.

The installed version 1.5.3.50487.22 is up to date.

I don't understand what the post above this means, is there a delay with this update, some problem with it ?

You have to go to the DCS download page and download and install a whole new version of DCS. DCS World 1.5 Open Beta is what you need. To keep up with the latest updates as soon as they are available you need to have 3 separate versions installed....crazy and confusing I know.

Question:

My version is also 1.5.3.50487.

If I use the line command as suggested in this thread:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

and run:

DCS_updater.exe update 1.5.3@openbeta

I can update to the latest version released yesterday, but I am updating to a beta branch, from a stable version... Any problem with this ?

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

You have to go to the DCS download page and download and install a whole new version of DCS. DCS World 1.5 Open Beta is what you need. To keep up with the latest updates as soon as they are available you need to have 3 separate versions installed....crazy and confusing I know.

Are you sure about that, it seems completely illogical.

Hi CE....not sure if you can update the 1.5.3 safe version with the open beta update...i dont think so. I have all 3 versions happily running side by side now as only way I could get the 1.5.3 update 1....pretty ridiculous situation but from what I have read it is the only way....good luck.

Thanks haffende.

This is a ridiculous situation, I don't want or need three versions of the same game on my PC, nor do I have the room for all three.

I have 1.5 and 2 sitting on my PC, I will not be installing another version just so I can get updates. If we keep having to work these things out for ourselves I will be removing those.

Thanks haffende.

This is a ridiculous situation, I don't want or need three versions of the same game on my PC, nor do I have the room for all three.

I have 1.5 and 2 sitting on my PC, I will not be installing another version just so I can get updates. If we keep having to work these things out for ourselves I will be removing those.

You don't have to keep 3 or even 2 installations to get all the updates. Just keep the "stable" release and eventually that will get the updates as well ... just with a delay.

I'm still confused, what is the difference between 1.5 and 1.5 Beta, when you look at the link to the pages BIGNEWY shows above the blurb is the same - word for word.

I have DCS 2 and 1.5 on my PC, I only keep 1.5 to run the existing Caucasus map which I am working on at present, so why would I need 1.5 Beta, which is apparently the same damn thing.

And why is 1.5 telling me that an update is ready then not letting me update it, telling me my existing version is up to date.

I understand the logic of the 2 versions, 2 and 1.5, whilst they sort out the Caucasus map and get that into 2, but the rest (1.5 beta) leaves me wondering what it is and why we bother to have it at all.

Roll on a complete version of 2 with both maps then we can kick this nonsense into the long grass. They could not have made it more complicated had they tried !!!

Rant over, off to have my Horlicks !!!

Edited by crazyeddie

I'm confused. I have v 1.5.3.50487 and it won't update. Am I reading correctly that now I must install a second version of 1.5.3 to get it to 1.5.3.51171?

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Big Newy,

I cannot remember where I read that but it is there somewhere on this site. I read it while trying to make sense of all this....read my other posts on chit chat. While researching for those posts I read that about not using the updater....

• ED Team

It is not rocket science guys.

ED has been running the open beta and open alpha for a while along side the release version.

If you want to participate in the public testing use the open beta and alpha, if you do not, use the release / stable version

A lot have all three installed, I have six versions installed with internal testing, sometimes 7 when testing steam as well

I understand the confusion about this current update as ED did not specify the open beta was updating and not the stable version. and although I do not have a time line for the stable version updating I do not think it will be long.

So if I understand this properly we can have the following:

DCS 2 Open Alpha

DCS 1.5

DCS 1.5 Open Beta

I have DCS World 1.5 and 2 on this PC. The latest version of the 1.5 installation is 1.5.3.50487 - Pls confirm if there are update for this.

DCS Open Beta 1.5 will update to 1.5.3.51171 - Does the 51171 update not apply to the non beta version? Does the non beta version receive its own updates?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

• ED Team

No update available for stable version 1.5.3.50487

open beta updated to 1.5.3.51171 for public testing

open alpha 2.0 is for testing nevada

the stable version will update soon ( no time line yet )