RF 16-2 -- feedback

SDsc0rch

i like this! 8)

a little feedback, if you don't mind....

- please tell us if the mission will be an air start - say it somewhere in the briefing

- also, what's our flight name? there were a lot of "FORDs"

- and.. LABELS?!?! really?? (ugh! what's the key to turn off all labels? ah.. L-SH F10)

- there are some typos in the intro and briefing

- where oh where is that supplemental material that is being referred to??

- why not put bullseye on a landmark - like oh say, the farms that marks the FEBA? later on, i found the "mission planner" button and i found you can actually move the bullseye (AND your flight's waypoints) ------ very nice - but should be right from the get-go

- speaking of that mission planner, i can see REDFOR units and their waypoints - SPOILER ALERT!

- and last but not least..... MP! yes, this is a cool scenario, but working with the AI is "difficult" - i would so much more prefer to fly this mission in multiplayer and work cooperatively on it - wouldn't have to be fishing through menus to communicate with TWO

and yeah, this is the first campaign i've bought - i like it

i notice how its named RF 16-2 ------ wouldn't it be cool if we got a 16-3 and then -4..... and 17-1.. 18-.. 19-...... etc etc

8)

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why air starts? Sorry, but that kills fully the immersion for me!

For a quick start missions it's ok, but not for a campaign.

For me it’s not a campaign but many quick time missions in a row to train different situations.

This campaign feels much more like training, but you must solve all the trainings before you get to the one you would like to train.

I can’t “feel” a campaign with air starts.

The second point is the briefing.

What’s the point of it?

Again I have the feeling this is a training to do myself the right things before the campaign starts (waypoints setting).

The briefing said I never should go over the FEBA but if I open the mission planer the waypoints are set to go over this point.

Why?

Should I train to set my waypoints right myself?

Really if this is to train how to do all things right at first, even the mission planning, why not make it in such a way I know what I should do or not?

Or what’s the point of this campaign? Did I miss the special point?

I am lost the first time with a campaign.

I am little bit disappointed!

• Like 2

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

first mission was an airstart

that's the one i've flown

i think they're probably simulating arriving on station after a transit to the OPAREA - the briefing/materials seem to indicate that

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For me it’s not a campaign but many quick time missions in a row to train different situations.

This campaign feels much more like training, but you must solve all the trainings before you get to the one you would like to train.

What’s the point of it?

Again I have the feeling this is a training to do myself the right things before the campaign starts (waypoints setting).

The briefing said I never should go over the FEBA but if I open the mission planer the waypoints are set to go over this point.

Why?

Really if this is to train how to do all things right at first, even the mission planning, why not make it in such a way I know what I should do or not?

again, first mission is an air start (i "think") because they are simulating departure from home base (not modeled in NTTR), transiting a long distance (2bags) and arriving on station in the AOR and taking up a CAP station to provide cover for arriving follow-on elements

the bullseye is deep in RED territory - it is not meant to be overflown - they are either following along with the convention we've seen online where typically b/e is wpt 1 ----- or (maybe), that's the way its done in the real-world (you must allow for that possibility) ---- the first time i flew the first mission, yeah i proceeded to wpt 1 and got the mission failure msg and had to go back to the drawing board, read the brief, look at the map, and figger out what i did wrong

(emphasis on the "I")

as for your comments to the effect of everything should be "right" out of the gate.. well, you might have a point, but also keep in mind, if something doesn't work for you - CHANGE IT ----- you're a big boy, cmon

??

i'm stoked - from what i've seen in the first mission, this campaign is kickass and i'm looking forward to the rest of the missions

and more red flags after this!

i had a few minor points of feedback i wanted to get in front of the devs eyes - i was not intending to open up a slugfest

this is a great product - lets keep this on point

also, i want it understood that if i am offering a suggestion that is counter to how things are performed in the real-world........ stick to your guns and.. CORRECT ME

maybe wpt 1/bullseye is normally Mt Helen ----- in that case, i would retract my statement and say "atta boy! that's why i come to DCS!"

also, if there is a better, more private way of providing feedback, away from the eyes of the immature that want to diss all over well-made material, let me know

Edited by SDsc0rch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

There is only ONE air start in the campaign at the very start where the player flies into Nellis from the UK to participate in the exercise.

What’s the point of it?

Why?

As stated, first mission is air start due to the fact that you're coming from home base and flying into the A/O. Don't hit WP-1, that will fail the mission...was wondering why WP-1 was inside the Gomer's FEBA. Had to fly it twice to get to pass. (Wags sniped me in previous post - sorry!).

The second mission (which I looked at but have not flown) is RAMP start, which is the way it should be. I assume the rest of the mission will be RAMP.

Pretty good 1st mission, the rest should build on that. Looking forward to flying the rest asap.

Anyhow, did notice that when flights would communicate I would get a small stutter - not a game breaker by any means, but a tiny bit annoying. Not sure why, don't get this in any other missions (I have made a training mission in NTTR with about 20AC in the air and no stutters - lots of action going on).

In any event, great work ED. I like it!

Good day,

DrDetroit

• ED Team

1- Only the first mission has an air-start because it is the player flying in from Lakenheath in the UK to participate in the exercise.

2- See the Lineup cards.

3- Unable to reproduce, labels off by default here.

4- Supplement material here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=158744

5- Blue Bulls is centered on a very visible landmark: Mt. Helen.

i like this! 8)

a little feedback, if you don't mind....

- please tell us if the mission will be an air start - say it somewhere in the briefing

- also, what's our flight name? there were a lot of "FORDs"

- and.. LABELS?!?! really?? (ugh! what's the key to turn off all labels? ah.. L-SH F10)

- there are some typos in the intro and briefing

- where oh where is that supplemental material that is being referred to??

- why not put bullseye on a landmark - like oh say, the farms that marks the FEBA? later on, i found the "mission planner" button and i found you can actually move the bullseye (AND your flight's waypoints) ------ very nice - but should be right from the get-go

- speaking of that mission planner, i can see REDFOR units and their waypoints - SPOILER ALERT!

- and last but not least..... MP! yes, this is a cool scenario, but working with the AI is "difficult" - i would so much more prefer to fly this mission in multiplayer and work cooperatively on it - wouldn't have to be fishing through menus to communicate with TWO

and yeah, this is the first campaign i've bought - i like it

i notice how its named RF 16-2 ------ wouldn't it be cool if we got a 16-3 and then -4..... and 17-1.. 18-.. 19-...... etc etc

8)

• ED Team

Please review mission map. SP1 is Bulls.

Yes, all missions but the first are cold starts on the ramp.

Note: At start of mission get permission to start up and then taxi. Wait for your clearance to taxi to avoid taxi issues. Don't worry about getting clearance to takeoff for now.

As stated, first mission is air start due to the fact that you're coming from home base and flying into the A/O. Don't hit WP-1, that will fail the mission...was wondering why WP-1 was inside the Gomer's FEBA. Had to fly it twice to get to pass. (Wags sniped me in previous post - sorry!).

The second mission (which I looked at but have not flown) is RAMP start, which is the way it should be. I assume the rest of the mission will be RAMP.

Pretty good 1st mission, the rest should build on that. Looking forward to flying the rest asap.

Anyhow, did notice that when flights would communicate I would get a small stutter - not a game breaker by any means, but a tiny bit annoying. Not sure why, don't get this in any other missions (I have made a training mission in NTTR with about 20AC in the air and no stutters - lots of action going on).

In any event, great work ED. I like it!

Good day,

DrDetroit

Eagle pilots

Just to back up Wags, a few things to be aware of:

1. In the F-15, there is no dedicated Bulls Eye steerpoint, so the community has a practise of always using the first tactical steerpoint as the BE - this is going to be the case on every mission, so don't forget it. This little BE idiosyncrasy is explained in full in the briefing documents that Wags has linked to. My advice is to read these very detailed PDFs in full before you step to your jets

2. This campaign was not really made for you to just jump in and fly. It is supposed to be as close to an actual Red Flag as is possible in a commercial flight simulator. That means that you have to read the briefings before you fly the sorties. If you do so, you'll know whether or not you should be editing your steerpoints or moving the BE around (the answer is no, of course)

3. The briefings tell you what your callsign is, and they tell you who the other players are and what their callsigns are. They give you everything you need that you would get in a real RF briefing, to include objectives and ToTs for all the players

4. Each mission has a lineup card. Use the card to review your steerpoints, callsigns, ToTs and RoE. When we were creating the campaigns, I actually printed these out so that I could refer to them without having to ALT-Tab out of the sim

Enjoy!

Edited by Steve Davies

thx

yeah, flew the first mission last night and couldn't find those docs - someone posted a link to the supplemental material today

agreed - printing these docs will help..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Thanks for popping in Steve!

For those not aware, Steve is the author of the F-15C briefings and lineup cards. I don't think we could have picked a better person to team up with on this project.

http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Davies/e/B001JP1T64

If you have not already done so, I highly recommend a read of his book Red Eagles.

Thanks

Eagle pilots

Just to back up Wags, a few things to be aware of:

1. In the F-15, there is no dedicated Bulls Eye steerpoint, so the community has a practise of always using SP1 as the BE - this is going to be the case on every mission, do don't forget it. This little BE idiosyncrasy is explained in full in the briefing documents that Wags has linked to. My advice is to read these very detailed PDFs in full before you step to your jets

2. This campaign was not really made for you to just jump in and fly. It is supposed to be as close to an actual Red Flag as is possible in a commercial flight simulator. That means that you have to read the briefings before you fly the sorties. If you do so, you'll know whether or not you should be editing your steerpoints or moving the BE around (the answer is no, of course)

3. The briefings tell you what your callsign is, and they tell you who the other players are and what their callsigns are. They give you everything you need that you would get in a real RF briefing, to include objectives and ToTs for all the players

4. Each mission has a lineup card. Use the card to review your steerpoints, callsigns, ToTs and RoE. When we were creating the campaigns, I actually printed these out so that I could refer to them without having to ALT-Tab out of the sim

Enjoy!

Eagle pilots

Enjoy!

They fit very nicely onto your kneeboard - just use kneeboard builder (an app available on this forum) to convert the PDFs and add them to airframe specific kneeboards.

Very very useful!

And I'd like to add my thanks for another great product from ED. Enjoying your books too Steve!

Completely understandable that without the text, it would have been difficult to figure out what to do! :pilotfly:

Hey Steve...

Considering the limitations of the FC3 Radar modeling...How do you have your HOTAS set up to best reflect the real plane? Especially the ACQ switch. (? Im using a Warthog.)

Sierra 99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

wow! I spend around 1h to read the intro, the first briefing and studing the map. Finished first mission on the first try with two kills. Very nice mission.

But for future improvements:

restrict afterburner use for wingman. I landed at Nellis with around 50% internal fuel, stupid wingman ejected right before touchdown.

I got only 2 kills (two fast movers). I hit the chopper, chopper burned and landed, I strafed him and the chopper was obviously dead (tail section cut off) but nothng but a "hit" was in the debriefing and no official kill for me...

Btw, going from WP 2 to 3 and back and forth... it's mess if you can only select "next" waypoint (or do I miss something?)

Anyway, fantastic job ED!

:pilotfly:

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pedals, Oculus Rift

:joystick:

Hey Steve...

Considering the limitations of the FC3 Radar modeling...How do you have your HOTAS set up to best reflect the real plane? Especially the ACQ switch. (? Im using a Warthog.)

Sierra 99

I don't have my setup to hand at the moment, but will certainly post it when I do early next week :thumbup:.

I don't have my setup to hand at the moment, but will certainly post it when I do early next week :thumbup:.

Whenever ya get a chance...

There's plenty of info for early C-Models (the -34 is readily available).and E model info is available but Mudhens have a dramaticlly different radar.

I'm particularly interested in the ACQ switch function...

Thanks again

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.