In Cockpit Footage Taxying and Airborne - Engine Noise

Tinkickef

Might have been shown before, but of particular interest to me is the noise of the engine, compared to the sound files we have.

Airborne, there is the deep bass rumble of the burners and air going through the engine, rather than the whine we have, whilst during ground handling the noise of unsynchronised fans / cores is very apparent.

Anyways have a listen, perhaps a future update could accomodate this.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

The topic of the engine sounds have been up many times, and I'm not saying they are correct the way they are. But GoPro sound recording is hardly a good source to base the true in cockpit sound of the A-10.

Sounds depend on cam's microphone specs.

In my honest opinion, the sounds from camera footage may not be a good source or sample to reference real life aircraft sounds.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

...Airborne, there is the deep bass rumble of the burners and air going through the engine, rather than the whine we have, whilst during ground handling the noise of unsynchronised fans / cores is very apparent.

Ummm... the A-10 TF-34 doesn't have burners...:music_whistling: Just a large fan and a 4-stage LP turbine, a 14-stage HP compressor, and a 2-stage HP turbine.

These are essentially (with a few differences) the same engines used in the commercial Bombardier CRJ-200 (CF-34) so if you want to hear a more accurate sound, listen to one of those from inside the passenger cabin.

Forget the sound, I want the smell !!!

.......bit of oil & kerosene on a cloth next to my pit, works for me:D

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

The majority of what I'm hearing there is the sound of air flowing over the cockpit. The low rumble is vibration being picked up via mechanical induction.

Low quality mic + small, enclosed, loud space = inaccurate representation of soundfield.

dcs_sig.jpg

You also realize the pilot wouldn't hear the same thing since he has earplugs in as well as his helmet restricts sound.

How does the pilot hear the radios with earplugs in?

What kind of earplugs, the foam kind or the rubber ones? I'm gonna start wearing them for immersion;)

Ummm... the A-10 TF-34 doesn't have burners...:music_whistling: Just a large fan and a 4-stage LP turbine, a 14-stage HP compressor, and a 2-stage HP turbine.

These are essentially (with a few differences) the same engines used in the commercial Bombardier CRJ-200 (CF-34) so if you want to hear a more accurate sound, listen to one of those from inside the passenger cabin.

Well where does the fuel get burned then if not in burner cans or similar device - mixed with air and ignited??? Or are we playing lets diss the no nothing newbie because of semantics? :music_whistling: Been into aviation all my life, had a private pilots licence and well know how a jet engine works. I'm done with this forum.

Canacomb.gif

Edited by Tinkickef
  • Like 1

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Well where does the fuel get burned then if not in burner cans or similar device - mixed with air and ignited??? Or are we playing lets diss the no nothing newbie because of semantics? :music_whistling: Been into aviation all my life, had a private pilots licence and well know how a jet engine works. I'm done with this forum.

Canacomb.gif

Calm down. "Burner" is common shorthand for "afterburner."

• Like 1

dcs_sig.jpg

Actually, if you search these forums you will find that the engine sounds in the sim we specifically remarked upon as being weird or wrong by A-10 pilots who have listened to it.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2750421&postcount=14

"I have actually discussed the realism with several A10 pilots and all of them are very impressed with it as a whole. There are some things that they find to be lacking in the A10 but part of those issues are kind of more to do with the way we (as simmers) have learned to fly them. Procedures and the like. None of them care for the engine sounds. One of the pilots said that the DCS A10 sounds a lot more like a 727 than an A10 when its in flight."

Apologies. Having a really bad day the other day. Could not get onto my berth at the marina because some ahole had parked their boat in it and walked off into town.

Yes I know the A10 does not have reheat.

This thread originated in defence of someone else's post where he went to a great deal of trouble and time detailing a conversation he had with a real life A10c pilot who specifically said the engine noise was completely wrong in this sim.

The poor guy got flamed by an extremely small, yet nastily vocal minority who hang out on here who seem to enjoy taking peoples posts apart. I guess these are the boogie Francis types with no life outside of the internet. The pooy guy in the end was on the defensive, essentially saying he was not lying.

I got to tell you, from an outsiders point of view and from someone lurking in the background for a few months, this forum prima facae, is not the friendliest because of this minority of keyboard warriors, and many, like me, refrain from making posts because of it.

• Like 1

Things like that happen all the time in any forum. But I would counter-argue that the *vast* majority are helpful and considerate. I would go so far as to say that it's the norm, and that's why the "inconsiderate" posts stick out like a sore thumb.

But I will agree that some take offense at the slightest critique. But again, it's been my experience that people go out of there way to teach, help and guide others.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I have found, at least here in the A-10C forum, the vast majority of posters to be exceptionally helpful and friendly. Don't be shy, post away!

*edit*

ninja'd by hansangb, what a jerk! :lol:

Edited by Harzach

dcs_sig.jpg

I have found, at least here in the A-10C forum, the vast majority of posters to be exceptionally helpful and friendly. Don't be shy, post away!

*edit*

ninja'd by hansangb, what a jerk! :lol:

Indeed. As on most forums, most people are kind and helpful, there are just the rotten apples that spoil the barrel.

I was brought up with a modicum of tact and don't understand why anyone would flame someone trying to add to the forum via putting up interesting topics of discussion. Debate is one thing, deliberate disingenuity regarding semantics, sarcasm and disrespect are an entirely different matter.

After all, this forum is about a GAME fer chrissakes, a very complex game sure, but a game nevertheless.

Anyone who thinks they win real life kudos because they know how to play it has some real self image problems.

Anyway, that's over now. My safety valve has reset itself and the steam has stopped coming out of my ears.

I hope the music teacher keeps posting his conversations, I for one am interested in reading about them.

Edited by Tinkickef
  • Like 1

Nomenclature

Well where does the fuel get burned then if not in burner cans or similar device - mixed with air and ignited???

I believe that the nomenclature that you are looking for is the combustion section. Looks like what is commonly referred to as a can-annular version in that picture.

Quick and pointless note, the fire inside of the combustion section is actually hot enough to melt the metal that makes up the vast majority of combustion chambers (cases) and the only thing that keeps them from melting is bleed air from further up that is 'cooler' than the air that is mixed with air and jet fuel. Crazy isn't it?

Edited by vstolmech513
Added note