Through The Inferno - A randomized and endless task-based mission for DCS 1.5

Great work. I enjoy your missions. I also like CASCAP Infinity missions but have always thought missions like this would be a lot better if random groups of Friendlies could be spawned in too so that you're actually providing CAS for somebody. Is something like this possible?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great work. I enjoy your missions. I also like CASCAP Infinity missions but have always thought missions like this would be a lot better if random groups of Friendlies could be spawned in too so that you're actually providing CAS for somebody. Is something like this possible?

I've already got the framework of the mission randomization and dynamic aspect of it down. It's easy to create missions within the mission. Still with me?

I just need to learn how to create a good balance and how to make the mission seem realistic and work correctly. I've tried some other scenarios in the past, but it seems that the friendly and enemy AI go at it too hard and just kill each other before you get a chance to get a slice of the fun...

I'm always willing to try something, and I'll have to keep trying new combinations of units and vehicles to get that mission type working properly.

That being said I am wondering if you know of any specific missions or scenarios out there that have a good example of what you're looking for? Let me know, I'd love to do this update for this mission :)

"Through The Inferno"

Endless, Dynamic, Open-World Experience for DCS World

but it seems that the friendly and enemy AI go at it too hard and just kill each other before you get a chance to get a slice of the fun...

:)

I figured that that could be an issue with this idea in general. Its either that or they're to far away to engage.

I thought something similar to the "create fast mission" with random battles and MP coop environment would be fun for MP.

If you haven't played it CAS Infinity Nevada Joint Force has spawned enemy groups and friendly forces that can track enemy units. You have a JTAC and armor unit that are mobile, and artillery that can be used. It seems all the friendlies are already out there but maybe triggered by enemy spawned groups. I don't much about mission editing.

Another favorite of mine is Operation Bactria. Although the amount of missions are limited they're randomly assigned when yoy fly out to AO. Each mission is more specific. Take out HVT, protect convoy, blow up cave entrance.

Edited by cthulhu68

Great mission...except my wingman never pulls back on the stick! :) He just taxis off the runway in Zone 5 and plows into the ground. Do I need to run this as an MP mission?

Upon further playing, he'll take off if I ask for a mission before we taxi to the runway. If I try to free-flight or Recon, he taxis at full afterburner till he hit's something. No waypoints, maybe?

Interesting...

I'm mainly testing this without the AI wingmen... I honestly don't know why they'd do that... I do have a script in place where there is ambient air traffic, that may have something to do with it, but I'm not entirely sure. Thanks for letting me know, I'll look into it.

• Like 1

"Through The Inferno"

Great job man! Been having a blast with the F15 on v1.33.

I finally learned how to use track while scan using your map for practice.

Glad to hear it. TWS is very useful. Let me know how you feel about some of the mission designs once you get used to it a bit more.

"Through The Inferno"

Tried this last nite with the A-10c. A couple things:

I couldn't get the JTAC to work at all. I'm positive I had the radio tuned correctly and all that, but he never answered my initial call. He did, however, give me the radio messages when I made the kills on the groups he was watching.

Also, I really dislike the JTAC on the VHF AM radio. Is this just something that has to be done due to how the missions are scripted, or can it be changed? As an A10, having the JTAC on the AM means AWACS and others are tuned out. Generally the FM radio is used for the JTAC it seems.

Tried this last nite with the A-10c. A couple things:

I couldn't get the JTAC to work at all. I'm positive I had the radio tuned correctly and all that, but he never answered my initial call. He did, however, give me the radio messages when I made the kills on the groups he was watching.

Also, I really dislike the JTAC on the VHF AM radio. Is this just something that has to be done due to how the missions are scripted, or can it be changed? As an A10, having the JTAC on the AM means AWACS and others are tuned out. Generally the FM radio is used for the JTAC it seems.

The problem is that I had to change the channels a bit because many other players suggested different channels for other aircraft.

M-2000C, F-5E can only use certain frequencies and I wanted to have as many planes work with JTAC as possible.

I'm still looking at work-arounds for this, but I can forsee that the friendly aircraft are probably getting in the way with 121,124 Mhz and 151 Mhz channels.

Some fixes I can think of are to just remove the ambient AI, but it leaves the mission to feel a bit lifeless.

Ultimately I'll have to be deciding what to do. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

"Through The Inferno"

I am a little bit ashamed by asking this, but how do I install this "endless mission" properly? I simply copied the files into the FC3 mission and campaign folder, but this was obviously wrong, as I can not select the mission inside DCS. I use the STEAM version. Any help appreciated...

I am a little bit ashamed by asking this, but how do I install this "endless mission" properly? I simply copied the files into the FC3 mission and campaign folder, but this was obviously wrong, as I can not select the mission inside DCS. I use the STEAM version. Any help appreciated...

This is for DCS 1.5, which is not on Steam.

You should probably consider moving to the standalone version:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/

It's got a major overhaul on the game engine and graphics. You can transfer you Steam licenses to your DCS account and download all the modules you own from steam:

"Through The Inferno"

Ehm, the STEAM version of DCS World is currently 1.5.5, which is exactly the same as the standalone version if I am not completely mistaken?

It is? Interesting... I wouldn't know since I moved to standalone last year...

The only other thing I can think of is that you have to put the .miz files somewhere not just the .zip...

I'll see if I can download the Steam version to confirm.

"Through The Inferno"

Does it matter, where I put those files? I did simply put them into the same folder the .miz files of the FC3 campaigns were located.

Yeah campaigns have a special file and directory structure.

Do you have a folder in your docs?

Usually DCS puts the missions you create under here by default;

C:\Users\Matthew\Saved Games\DCS\Missions

"Through The Inferno"

Hi there, just had a look at this as it states it contains helo supply missions. However whenever I load up, I can't seem to select it. I can get CAS missions, but sadly those are not much use as I'm a slick pilot.

Can anyone please confirm whether or not the supply missions work for yourselves. Desperate to find a MP coop campaign for myself and my mates which allow us to do purely supply or transport missions with the UH1 or MI8.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Hi there, just had a look at this as it states it contains helo supply missions. However whenever I load up, I can't seem to select it. I can get CAS missions, but sadly those are not much use as I'm a slick pilot.

Can anyone please confirm whether or not the supply missions work for yourselves. Desperate to find a MP coop campaign for myself and my mates which allow us to do purely supply or transport missions with the UH1 or MI8.

Cowboy10uk

Supply missions are coming up for me. You need to have at least one person from your group to be in a vehicle marked LEAD in the role selection. Only LEAD should be controlling mission selection and all of those options in the f1 - Other menu.

"Through The Inferno"

Ok, got it working now in a folder different from those with the campaign files in it. Great work. Last question: if I select F4 for an easy Air to Air mission, I then can only continue like this? I was not able to select a "hard" air to air mission afterwards, only the option "another easy air to air mission" was available.

Ok, got it working now in a folder different from those with the campaign files in it. Great work. Last question: if I select F4 for an easy Air to Air mission, I then can only continue like this? I was not able to select a "hard" air to air mission afterwards, only the option "another easy air to air mission" was available.

You can repeat a mission while in air, after you complete one.

The idea is you can only repeat missions that you initially selected from the airbase.

You'll have to go back to an airbase to select another mission.

"Through The Inferno"

I see. Then something else I would like to clarify: after I shot down some planes, I landed my Su-27 successfully back on Krasnodar Center, I taxied back to the parking position, turned off everything for refuel and new ammo and bang, I was back on the "select role" tab. So, it is not intended to refuel and reload on the ground?

I see. Then something else I would like to clarify: after I shot down some planes, I landed my Su-27 successfully back on Krasnodar Center, I taxied back to the parking position, turned off everything for refuel and new ammo and bang, I was back on the "select role" tab. So, it is not intended to refuel and reload on the ground?

You can go back to the parent menu in the comms menu, you always have an option to go back if you need to do something else.

Sometimes hitting the \ key again will go back to the parent menu.

"Through The Inferno"

Supply missions are coming up for me. You need to have at least one person from your group to be in a vehicle marked LEAD in the role selection. Only LEAD should be controlling mission selection and all of those options in the f1 - Other menu.

Strange, tried it half a dozen times yesterday with myself in the lead Huey, could select other missions but when I selected supply, nothing happens.

Will try again tonight.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh: