better drogue/refueling basket?

I was wondering would it be possible to create a new refueling basket, especially the tube, to make it into a more flexible one. The one currently in the game is horrible, sometimes when you refuel with the Su-33 and you drift slightly to the right or left, the refueling tube is very “stiff” because it has few poly and acts like a straight line. Would it be possible to make it more “rope-like” so when you hit it with the refueling probe it will actually move back and such? Also when you hit it with the nose of the aircraft it will actually bounce off rather than go through the plane. Plus, maybe this would also fix that small bug that can sometimes be seen online when you refuel, the basket would disappears when you hook on (IIRC the basket can only be seen by the host?) Anyway, yea I’m just putting this idea out there to see if anyone agrees. I just want to know from the 3d professionals if this was possible or does it depend on the code on how the refueling basket moves around.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think the basket 3D model is ok. The physics applied to it are the issue. And this I bet cannot be changed by a mod.

Firstly if you want a new basked (more detailed maybe) you need a ne tanker plane model with new basket and new animations.

Second you need that IL-78 to have something very similar to SU-25(t) in the game... advanced physics that may come only with AFM.

Thirdly... you may need a new Su33 with same specs... :D

PS... 6DOF will help also :P

edit

The arguments controling the basket 2 are 42-45 in IL-78m.cmd

il78droguelv9.jpg

There is also a IL-78m-collision.lom file that could control some of the animation-physics of the model, maybe the key would be this one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Picking up on this one guys....

We are looking at implementing a Lockheed L-1011 TriStar (RAF) for refueling within our VEAO mod (on the IL-78m overlay).

We're not sure if it will work yet and the basic modeling has only just started.

We will try to implement for LOFC.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

The IL-78M is actually using the same universal UPAZ refueling pack(well three of them - one on each wing and one at the rear of the fuselage) as the Su-33, but as others have mentioned, in LO the UPAZ is not a separate entity - they are part of the aircraft model(s) and the code for their functionality is integrated with the "FM" for the particular aircraft entries.

If the contact point for each refueling basket is pre-determined by the code(and I believe it is), then it would be difficult to use e.g. the IL-78 "slot" for a functional tanker of different design and make it look right.

It would be necessary to align the positions of the extended 3D baskets of your new tanker model with the positions for the IL-78. E.g. if your new tanker is smaller than the IL-78 you might be able to fix the longitudinal position by adjusting the length of the hose, so that the basket extends to the same length from the center point of the aircraft model as preset for the IL-78 - the problem is with the lateral positions.

Also there is the matter of the number of contact points - as I understand it(not familiar with this design), the RAF converted Tristar uses only two centerline installed refueling packs and no wing attached ones(?).

JJ

thought it had 3 - one centre and 2 wing.

edit - ragarding the Tristar look at their home page of the Tristar

and the Wiki site

pics - from the wiki

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

Edited by joey45

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

thought it had 3 - one centre and 2 wing.

The IL-78M does yes - one on each wing and a third offset to port side of the rear fuselage.

edit - ragarding the Tristar look at their home page of the Tristar

and the Wiki site

pics - from the wiki

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

Yes and as you can see from "pic 2", the Tristar does indeed only have two packs and both at rear below the fuselage.

I suppose the left one could be used with the IL-78 slot, but on the IL-78 the fuselage pack is attached to a small pylon mounted on the side of the fuselage(not below) and thus more offset from centerline than the left one on the Tristar, which in turn presents a problem with the lateral positon of the contact point.

See what I mean? :)

Edited by Alfa

JJ