buying from DCS v. other vendor...

fitness88

Since DCS is obviously going to be fully compatible with all of it's own releases why would someone purchase a DCS product module from anyone other than DCS?

What's the benefit of buying from another vendor such as Steam for example and have to deal with certain incompatibilities?

Thank you.

At any given time, a sale on Steam could provide a better price (compared to ED's price at that moment) and the key is usable on the ED installation. Some people also like the Steam environment features (i.e. Steam overlay, behind the scenes auto updates, etc.).

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

At any given time, a sale on Steam could provide a better price (compared to ED's price at that moment) and the key is usable on the ED installation. Some people also like the Steam environment features (i.e. Steam overlay, behind the scenes auto updates, etc.).

Why do I see sometimes notices stating that if you have Steam you can't do 'this' or 'that'?

I used to only buy modules from Steam, because they would be overall cheaper, since I live in Brazil and Steam would translate the currencies differently. Since the F-5E released there, it changed, and it's pretty much the same. I would use the key purchased from Steam and link them to my ED account, then play the standalone, because DCS on Steam has always been broken asf for me.

Worth mentioning Steam has more payment options, aswell.

[sIGPIC][url=http://www.blacksharkden.com][/url][/sIGPIC]

http://www.blacksharkden.com

"Come join us" - Bad Religion

I used to only buy modules from Steam, because they would be overall cheaper, since I live in Brazil and Steam would translate the currencies differently. Since the F-5E released there, it changed, and it's pretty much the same. I would use the key purchased from Steam and link them to my ED account, then play the standalone, because DCS on Steam has always been broken asf for me.

Worth mentioning Steam has more payment options, aswell.

I see, it's mainly the $$$...thanks.

If you buy from official website at full price you also get a small discount depending that accumulates if you buy more than one module. This discount is not active for all modules though. Something you don't get from steam.

Be careful buying from other non-official vendors as these keys may be cheaper, but there have been lots of reports of such keys being banned without warning and ED support will not help or care in such a case because they have this notice around the website.

Why do I see sometimes notices stating that if you have Steam you can't do 'this' or 'that'?

There are some limitations on Steam. DCS v2.x is not available on Steam since steam will only allow ED to have one normal release and one 'beta' release. Modules typically release in ED's shop long before being released on Steam. Steam does not use ED's auto-updater so it is not possible to 'roll back' to a previous version. Steam also does not allow you to prevent updates (it used to be that option seems to have been removed).

Aside from those limitations, the Steam version (relative to ED's stable release version) should allow all of the same functionality.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

DCS is the name of the Sim, ED is the company that makes it. :)

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

I started my DCS experience on Steam, and later on I moved to ED's mainly because of the more frequent Sales and bundles that they have ...

the only tiny thing that I do miss from Steam, is the time accounting that Steam provides, that allows you to see how many hours have you dedicated to the game :(

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I started my DCS experience on Steam, and later on I moved to ED's mainly because of the more frequent Sales and bundles that they have ...

the only tiny thing that I do miss from Steam, is the time accounting that Steam provides, that allows you to see how many hours have you dedicated to the game :(

I'll have to double check but I thought there was a pilot's log for that info, possibly I'm mistakenly thinking of the days when I flew Jane's flight simulator.

I'll have to double check but I thought there was a pilot's log for that info, possibly I'm mistakenly thinking of the days when I flew Jane's flight simulator.

The logbook only records actual flight time ... it doesnt record time on the cockpit while you are on the tarmac starting up the plane, it doesnt record the time spent on the Mission Editor, it doesnt record the time spent activating/deactivating, etc.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

I don't use Steam so this is just what I have heard, but apparently some ISPs don't meter steam downloads so if you are on a small download limit and steam downloads are not metered you can download other things. Steam takes a minimum of 30% of the sale price, so personally I would rather use up a dollar of download and help support ED to produce more content.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

I started on steam and quickly changed over because of the betas that will not get released on steam, plus the module keys from steam can be used on the DCS standalone installation, not the other way around.

Seems to me like a win win for ED and TFC, if steam doesn't allow ED's keys used on steam and still allows you to be an independent distributor. Good to be "exposed" on steam and have some people transfer to standalone, that way ED gets 100% for there modules etc. How big is the steam market place? Around 125 million active users apparently!

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I started on steam and quickly changed over because of the betas that will not get released on steam, plus the module keys from steam can be used on the DCS standalone installation, not the other way around.

Seems to me like a win win for ED and TFC, if steam doesn't allow ED's keys used on steam and still allows you to be an independent distributor. Good to be "exposed" on steam and have some people transfer to standalone, that way ED gets 100% for there modules etc. How big is the steam market place? Around 125 million active users apparently!

And what part of the 125 m support DCS, I've been curious about their membership size?

From all that I have heard from Steam users, the disadvantages of using it are never outweighed by the benefits. I hear complaint after complaint from it's users about update issues, compatibility issues, late release issues, serial number issues, etc. There always seems to be problems.

For the life of me I could never see why anyone would go through a middle man when you can go directly to the source.

I think that a lot of the younger folks use steam because it's sold in a shiny package with a bunch of "perks". Many of the older people prefer to just do it the simple way.

For the life of me I could never see why anyone would go through a middle man when you can go directly to the source.

:) ... price could be a valid reason ... I mostly purchase at ED's store, but back in October 2016 I purchased on Steam the Mi-8 and the Gazelle at US$ 20 each (40% discount) and the Enemy Within Campaign, also at 40% off

Not quite clear what you mean as to the difference between releases and standalone. A module for sale from DCS now is considered a release or standalone?

Without steam then from who?

Release: a module you can buy...from Steam or DCS?

You can buy modules in the DCS store (https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/) 6-12 months earlier than in Steam.

If you buy a module from the DCS store, then you can't use it with the Steam version of DCS, so it's generally better to use the non-Steam version of DCS.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.