Racetrack Runways?

crudboy12

So, I was browsing the web and I found this:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/a25827/why-runways-should-be-round/

This sounds like an utter cluster****! :megalol: I wonder what it would be like to fly an approach on a runway that was round. And the article suggests that multiple aircraft might occupy the same runway at the same time!

gallery-1490627024-tomo.gif

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-10C, FC3, P-51, BF-109, UH-1, MI-8, KA-50, M2000C, AJS-37, Gazelle, F-5E, L-39, F-86, MiG-15, MiG-21.

When I was much younger, Popular Mechanics had an article on how to build a boat out of concrete.

That didn't catch on either. :D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

If you've got DSC 2 and NTTR you have a race track to try on, problem I have are those pesky light poles around the race track. :P

<edit>

And yes I have taken the Huey and the Gazelle around the race track.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

When I was much younger, Popular Mechanics had an article on how to build a boat out of concrete.

That didn't catch on either. :D

In that statement - you are entirely incorrect. Concrete boat hulls have been around for a while.

I know the article is from Wikipaedia, but it is entirely factual in this case.

And in fact this research seems to be soundly based, and a possibility...

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/17/circular-runways-are-being-researched-to-save-space-at-airports-6515326/

And no, it wasn't an April fools thing, look at the date on the last link. It was however European Commission funded research, so read into that what you will!

Edited by NeilWillis

they can save the space but i fear that there would be much more accidents. money versus people

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

they can save the space but i fear that there would be much more accidents. money versus people

They actually seem to have tried already.

Pilots said it "works well, though you need to get used to".

The idea is to always Take off and land into the wind with no crosswinds.

It is possible to take off in any direction directly with less pattern traffic etc., etc.

My guess is, if they try this in any western, inhabited area you can see not only a couple thousand people in the direction the approach/landings will happen file a complaint, but everybody around the airport covering 360°... :music_whistling:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)