1080 to 1080ti... No improvement?

Shein

Hey.

Must be something I'm doing wrong...

I have my settings at the VR preset and pixel density of only 1.5 and I'm regularly down below 25 fps with lots of chop. When I look at the sky I go up to 90, look down at the ground and suddenly its down to steady 45, or even lower. What am I doing wrong? If I look at another asset, it's even worse - in this case a hornet

Processor is an i7 3770k.

ASW - on or off doesn't seem to matter.

Not sure what else it could be...?

Hey.

I have my settings at the VR preset and pixel density of only 1.5 and I'm regularly down below 25 fps with lots of chop. When I look at the sky I go up to 90, look down at the ground and suddenly its down to steady 45, or even lower. What am I doing wrong? If I look at another asset, it's even worse - in this case a hornet

You are bottlenecking somewhere besides the GPU. Most likely the CPU.

post your rig's full specs. If that cpu is a "k", have you O/C? HDD, how much RAM?

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Sounds like you're bottle necking at the CPU or ram as stated before. I've got 2 1080ti's in sli, i7 6700k, and 32 gigs of ddr4 along with DCS on a solid state. I have my graphics set at vr settings with high model and terrain textures and pd at 1.7. Never drops below 90 fps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to say.

As previously mentioned, are you overclocking the CPU at all or running at stock 3.5 GHz speed?

What kind of performance were you getting with the previous 1080 card?

Did you do a clean driver install after installing the new card?

Best to remove the drivers first before card install, using Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe Mode. Then shut down, install new card, and after booting up install the latest Nvidia drivers for the 1080 Ti , I recommend installing only the driver and PhysX, unchecking all that other stuff especially GeForce Experience.

Also remember to set DCS in Nvidia Control Panel to " Prefer Maximum Performance".

If you did not remove the drivers prior to the card install, I would definitely suggest going ahead and removing them now anyway and giving a clean driver install.

Also keep in mind currently DCS 2.1 is an early Alpha Product, and especially after the 2.1 update is having some VR performance issues, especially with deferred shading and trying to run any level of MSAA.

I too have an 1080 Ti on the way to me, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite card. And for DCS 2.1 currently, I do not expect for it to much of a performance boost, hoping for at least a little. I also am hoping for some performance optimizations from the devs for it before too long, will see.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I noticed a massive improvement switching to a 1080ti from a 1080, but I don´t play in VR.

I´d suggest you get MSI Afterburner with the Riva tuner and let it show you system loads while in game. If the GPU is running at 99%, you are GPU bottlenecked, if your CPU is running at 100%, you are CPU bottlenecked, if your memory is maxed out, you don´t have enough RAM and it has to write the files to a storage drive (much slower) so both GPU and CPU are waiting for the data...

And post your full system specs.

A rather old CPU that can't feed a 1080, let alone a 1080ti?

TJ

No, that CPU is more than capable of pushing 90fps when paired with a decent GPU...people are still using Sandy-Bridge to game.

But then again, DCS is very CPU bound, newer CPUs and DDR4 RAM might give it a performance boost? Hard to say without diagnostics.

Edited by Chrinik

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

No, that CPU is more than capable of pushing 90fps when paired with a decent GPU...people are still using Sandy-Bridge to game.

But then again, DCS is very CPU bound, newer CPUs and DDR4 RAM might give it a performance boost? Hard to say without diagnostics.

That CPU doesn't have anywhere near the single threaded performance of newer chips. All DCS cares about is single threaded performance.

DCS will be heavily CPU bound on this older chip and its bottlenecking the old 1080, let alone the 1080ti.

TJ

Wow!

Thanks for the input all.

As suggested I downloaded MSI Afterburner (I actually use riveira for fallout to maintain a stable frame rate) and I tried to dip the FPS as much as possible. The CPU came close to max quite a few times, and did max a time or two, so that very well may be the problem.

Yes it's running at 3.5 ghz stock, no I haven't overclocked it, and I have 8 gigs of DDR4 ram which wasn't even close to maxed out according to MSI

I knew it was time for a new MOBO and processor anyway.

Thank you all again for all of your inputs!

Wow!

Thanks for the input all.

As suggested I downloaded MSI Afterburner (I actually use riveira for fallout to maintain a stable frame rate) and I tried to dip the FPS as much as possible. The CPU came close to max quite a few times, and did max a time or two, so that very well may be the problem.

Yes it's running at 3.5 ghz stock, no I haven't overclocked it, and I have 8 gigs of DDR4 ram which wasn't even close to maxed out according to MSI

Just curious, are you in 2.1 or 1.5 version of DCS?

TJ

The CPU came close to max quite a few times, and did max a time or two, so that very well may be the problem.

There might be your problem. Try overclocking the chip, since your slow clockspeed is holding you back alot.

I however, am curious how you are running DDR4 with a 3770K?

Edited by Chrinik

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

That CPU doesn't have anywhere near the single threaded performance of newer chips. All DCS cares about is single threaded performance.

TJ

Stock there is about a 20% difference in single threaded performance between 3770K and 6700K primarily because of the 500mHz clock speed difference, OC that 3770K and you can gain some parity, altho the Skylake can pull ahead again with OC. Mine pulls 4.6 easily but I run it at 4.5. Kabylake is just a faster skylake, so the higher clockspeeds are a given performance up.

Sandy-Bridge overclocked like a champ, don´t know what the maximum headroom on Ivy-bridge is, but I see a bunch of 4.5gHz results...that´s a start.

Edited by Chrinik

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-Red-Lyfe

Stock there is about a 20% difference in single threaded performance between 3770K and 6700K primarily because of the 500mHz clock speed difference, OC that 3770K and you can gain some parity, altho the Skylake can pull ahead again with OC. Mine pulls 4.6 easily but I run it at 4.5. Kabylake is just a faster skylake, so the higher clockspeeds are a given performance up.

Sandy-Bridge overclocked like a champ, don´t know what the maximum headroom on Ivy-bridge is, but I see a bunch of 4.5gHz results...that´s a start.

Let's try a 25% difference between today's offerings (6700k or 7700k) and a 3770k. You also have to stop your argument around OC'ing. If I'm going to OC a 3770k, why wouldn't I OC a 7700?

I agree that you can't quite OC a 7700 like you can a 3770 (only about 600 or 700mhz on 67 or 7700 vs 1.1 ghz of the 3770.) However, the architecture advancements of the 67 or 7700 series make up for its smaller OC headroom. This is why you've never seen a 3770k (even at 4.5 or 4.6ghz) perform as well with DCS as a 67 or 77. The CPU architecture just doesn't support it as well as a more advanced offering.

There is no question about it. For its time and money, the 3770k was a BEAST. But it's 5+ years old now and it's showing it's age. On games that require single threaded performance, the 6700k and 7700k lines of processors will still be preferred.

And also- I feel like I shouldn't have to say this but I will... games that use a modern engine that relies heavily on your GPU perform quite well on a 3770k. DCS isn't there yet. 2.1 is a step in the right direction.

TJ

1080 to 1080ti... No improvement?

Yes it's running at 3.5 ghz stock, no I haven't overclocked it...

Just saw the above.

Go to your favorite pc parts store. Pay 25-30 bucks for the Hyper 212 evo air cooler (I believe it supports the 3770k, check first.)

OC your CPU and buy 2.1 on the summer sale.

You'd be amazed at what you get from an extra ghz of processing power.

TJ

Edited by Tj1376
Added correct model of air cooler.

Hey.

I would definitely recommend sticking on a better cooler and overclocking that CPU

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

I have a 3770k oc to 4.6ghz on a water cooler (corsair h100) and am fairly pleased with the performance. I'm not at 90fps on multiplayer but it's certainly playable with textures on high and pd of 1.8. (16g ddr3 and ssd- rift).

I just replaced my EVGA 1080 FTW card, with a new EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Elite card.

Did some testing in DCS 2.1 along with another combat sim this morning, can say I am pleased so far. This Ti runs cooler, and gives me a nice little boost in VR performance.

Now DCS 2.1 is obviously early Alpha and still rough around the edges, but it is running pretty good now for me. No, certainly can not maintain 90 fps over Normandy, but I would consider it playable at this point for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I just replaced my EVGA 1080 FTW card, with a new EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Elite card.

Did some testing in DCS 2.1 along with another combat sim this morning, can say I am pleased so far. This Ti runs cooler, and gives me a nice little boost in VR performance.

Now DCS 2.1 is obviously early Alpha and still rough around the edges, but it is running pretty good now for me. No, certainly can not maintain 90 fps over Normandy, but I would consider it playable at this point for me.

LOL. Figured it was a matter of time. Hey, did you hear that M.2 AHCI is like four times faster than SATA SSDs? Muwhahahahaha! :D

I find myself looking at SM951-AHCI benchmarks for no particular reason. And muttering to myself "man...if I had the M.2, I'd get some @#$@ done!" :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

LOL. Figured it was a matter of time. Hey, did you hear that M.2 AHCI is like four times faster than SATA SSDs? Muwhahahahaha! :D

I find myself looking at SM951-AHCI benchmarks for no particular reason. And muttering to myself "man...if I had the M.2, I'd get some @#$@ done!" :)

Lol ya certainly have been hearing some good things about it.

I won't be adding anything else to my current build now, as I will likely be doing a new build sometime in 2018.

Don B

I switched and was a bit disappointed. No big difference in dcs.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

I switched and was a bit disappointed. No big difference in dcs.

TY. Did you get the AHCI or NVMe?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1