age and health affecting flight sim hobby

Ramstein

Yeah...You see. Unprocessed carbs are not harmful to you at all. Since you are eating boiled potatoes and brown rice, you are getting all of the nutrience with the carbs and your body disposes of it correctly. Thus, your weight and functions stay stable. Stuff like french fries, and white rice has been robbed of everything but the energy(starch, carbs) through it's processing so your body treats it as though it were sugar.

I would never have believed that making this change would have changed so many things in my body for the better. It says a lot about big business, human apathy, and how dangerous deception is. Just think of the burden that would be lifted from the medical industry if there were better rules and the food industry actually cared about the human side of their product. Good on you BIGNEWEY!

Except its the corporations that make most of the rules in the world, so our best bet is getting the truth out about the crap they put in "food". I live in an area where good meat is fairly common so for the most part i can avoid crappy meat, either by harvesting my own or getting local.

The flight simming community shall outlive all other "gaming" community's combined! :D

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

• 5 months later...
OMG

The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall changed my life also!

been on a wholefoods, vegan no oil diet for a short time and already reaping the rewards for it!

:thumbup:

Wow this is great!

I've been following Dr. Neal Barnard's diet for reversing type 2 diabetes for about 6 months, and my doc took me off the meds, within a couple of months. It's a very similar approach to Dr. John McDougall's methods.

I'm absolutely amazed how this isn't mainstream knowledge. People quote studies and statistics of all sorts, but two or three weeks of eating clean, and you know it's the right way, from your waist line, to the mental clarity and ease in the water closet! (not to mention my doc said it was the first time he's ever seen cholesterol improve hah!)

Add a good exercise regime to your lifestyle too - if you're up to that. It is always hard to get motivated, but I find walking a few miles a day makes a big difference to my wellbeing in all kinds of ways.

Yep, Try and get a good simple exercise routine going if your able, also eat fresh clean food with no preservatives, organic if able. I have also cut down on my meat intake 80%. I also like to try and juice once a day and recommend to anyone to do at least this if your not willing to change your habits. Be careful tho, some can have reactions to citrus or to much citrus, try and go green "alkaline" in the juice as much as possible, just add a few apples to make it taste good, this will clean you out.

Another good one to stop the hunger cravings and fill you up. Banana smoothies using a blender, add orange, apple, ice, coconut water etc, Experiment.

Documentary to watch on Netflix

Fat Sick & nearly Dead

Make sure to see and check with your doctor if your going to go for it in a big way, it can be a shock to the system, you will feel like crap at the start.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I know there are a lot of us that love to fly... but a lot of us get older and make us lose the sharpness and agility on the keyboard, stick, eyesight.. (add very bad health to my list). I still am active with the squad activities too, but hard settings make it very hard. Have very bad diseases, and pain, low stamina, and... just like fun... easy things...). I can do hard slow startups, but prefer quick starts by far. Can't do much about speed of my body and eyesight...

so, if you make and do missions and campaigns give us old farts a chance to with aircraft and missions we can do. Thanx!

:joystick::pilotfly::doh:

I am age 66. My dad died at 63.

I take it day by day and feel like sh_t usually.

Age 63 I get epilepsy. WTF? A total surprise. What happened? How? Did a brain hemorrhage at age 50, my doc thinks it was from that. The brain thing should have killed me outright. Years of distance running, maybe why I survived.

Got 7 damn diseases I am dealing with and the meds' side effects worse than the disease.

I feel your pain. You are not alone.

Why I do DCS is it keeps my mind from atrophy' ing. I try to do a mile or two walk every day and take 2 canes with me and cell phone in my pocket---in case a 911 shout out. I wear MedicAlert tags in case I go down.

Keep plugging...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You guys got an old fart's squad to join ??

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow this is great!

I've been following Dr. Neal Barnard's diet for reversing type 2 diabetes for about 6 months, and my doc took me off the meds, within a couple of months. It's a very similar approach to Dr. John McDougall's methods.

I'm absolutely amazed how this isn't mainstream knowledge. People quote studies and statistics of all sorts, but two or three weeks of eating clean, and you know it's the right way, from your waist line, to the mental clarity and ease in the water closet! (not to mention my doc said it was the first time he's ever seen cholesterol improve hah!)

No kiddin' ?

Worth trying.

Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Eats and Age

I am 75 and like I mentioned in another post.....I am running out of time. When folks here mention the word patience.....I almost want to laugh. Many here talk about a new module they want...only take a few years to develop.....if you are in your 20's or 30's or even in your 50's

you can wait and have all the patience that is mentioned here...often. I've invested a lot of money in this sim and only really want the modules I have purchased to be finished and 2.5 to

be a stable base so things work without having to spend debug time trying to get it all to operate.

Before I run out of time.

My only advice is eat healthy, laugh often, give more than receive, take care of yourself and the planet and please take care of the animals before they are all gone.

DieHard, I too have a medicine cabinet that looks like a pharmacy. If I took all the meds I am suppose to....I wouldn't last a week. I try and eat 4 small meals a day. I try and make the meals as healthy as I can....I slip up once in a while. My downfall is Ozzie Bites.

Laz :D

lazduc

"I've invested a lot of money in this sim and only really want the modules I have purchased to be finished and 2.5 to

be a stable base so things work without having to spend debug time trying to get it all to operate."

Amen to that. I'm beginning to wonder if half of the modules I have purchased are ever going to get out of Beta, or work at all the way they're suppose to. For me, it's a matter of patience. I'm running out quickly.

• ED Team

Time and tide waits for no man - Geoffrey Chaucer

Enjoy what you have :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hey friend, I was having age related issues too - however a friend recommended a couple of books for me, and well I feel 20 years younger (everywhere, as embarrassing it is to say).

If you have the time, take a look at a book called The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall. It won't fix everything, but I can't recommend it highly enough for anyone.

If you have Netflix then you can watch a documentary called Forks Over Knives, or What The Health. They are based on the same topic.

Thanks for the links.

I am 6 foot 3 at 210 pounds.

Did take an excursion to 240 once and figure that number set me up.

I was a distance runner for 30 years until medical issues I had to stop.

Getting Type 2 diabetes was a total shock!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Getting Type 2 diabetes was a total shock!

My brother is Type 1, diet and exercise isn't going to fix that.

It does bring to mind a Tom Hanks interview on the subject (He is Type 2). His doctor told him that if he could get back to the weight he was in high school then the problem would go away. His response was "I guess I am going to be a diabetic then because there is no way that is going to happen." :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

For me, high school would be a 40 pound drop.

Not impossible, but definitely not a fun trip.

I think my doc is over-cautious and caught me early not to advance to the point-of-no-return.

Sorry about your brother. Best wishes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

I think my doc is over-cautious and caught me early not to advance to the point-of-no-return.

I have lost 60 pounds so far, on the McDougal method, it has been great for me and made me want do more, still eating loads and feeling great.

Edited by BIGNEWY

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

No kiddin' ?

Worth trying.

Thanks

That was my approach too, I figured I'd try it for 3 to 4 weeks and see what happens. It made it mentally much easier for me to have a trial period, because I was afraid of a 'life-long commitment' in the past. But it's been over 3 years now, and after after a few months it is completely effortless as my mind just switched gears.

And like others have said, it's so simple and easy, it's almost criminal that this isn't the default response when you go to the doctors. Fix the problem, instead of treating the symptoms with pills. (of course if you are on meds, they will likely need to be adjusted as you improve, so keep your doctor informed) :thumbup:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

Enjoy what you have :)

Too much broken and unfinished stuff in DCS at the moment to really enjoy much of it. And no, the often heard explanation of an ever-evolving product doesn't really cut it anymore. There comes a time when the problems _have_ to be sorted out or the people will just leave.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

...Fix the problem, instead of treating the symptoms with pills...

Couldn't have said it better.

There is too much money involved with meds instead of fixing problems and until people understand a lot of the pharma/doctors don't have their best interest in mind and are only want to sell you drugs the problem is just going to get worse.

My dad had a doctor recommend a drug and then say "i am obligated to tell you i get kickbacks from the drug company" which was a little crazy.

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

My brother is Type 1, diet and exercise isn't going to fix that.

It does bring to mind a Tom Hanks interview on the subject (He is Type 2). His doctor told him that if he could get back to the weight he was in high school then the problem would go away. His response was "I guess I am going to be a diabetic then because there is no way that is going to happen." :)

I was in a similar boat to Tom Hanks, the idea of losing weight to me was torturing myself with running for hours and endlessly chewing lettuce..... diabetic blindness was almost worth the risk hah!

After reading Dr. Barnard's book, I almost laughed in relief. All I've essentially done is go for a 15 minute leisurely stroll, and eat pancakes for breakfast, a curry or pasta dish for dinner, with enough left over for the lunch the next day. No extremes, just sensible eating - and it's a heck of a lot easier to get in and out of the cockpit now!

Alec Baldwin did it, so I'm sure Tom Hanks could handle this too ;-)

6g3lLr2fH7E

It's not as hard as it may seem. Don't give up on trying, it's certainly worth the effort. As I posted earlier in the thread, I gave up all processed sugars, carbs, and food in general 3 years ago. This was not a diet. I changed my lifestyle.

It took only 3 months for 35 lbs to just fall away from me. I eventually lost around 40 lbs and have easily maintained a weight of around 180 ever since.

My wife was 180 lbs and after watching my transition, she too gave up these foods. She is now 135 lbs at 5' 8" tall.

It involves a commitment to change the way that you look at food. Some people like my father in law who is only 4 years older than I am (Yes...my wife is 20 years my junior...lucky me) and weighs in over 300 lbs. can't seem to stay away from the pizza, McDonald's, and soda. He tries to stop but can't. I suggested to my wife to have him get mental help for it. Believe it or not.....those foods are addictive by design. I had withdraw symptoms when I quit everything. I was lucky because I had a doctor coaching me through that time.

I gave up all of those foods and habits because I'm 53 and have an 8 year old boy. My father, his father, and grandfather only made it to their early 60's, but they lived unhealthy lifestyles. Smoking and bad eating habits. My sister passed away in 2005 from Gastric Bypass, She was 45 years old so that should tell you how dire it was for me to stop. But so far as I am concerned, there is never a small enough reason to change your lifestyle if it saves your life.

I sincerely hope that you find what you are looking for. ;)

Edited by Zimmerdylan

It's not as hard as it may seem. Don't give up on trying, it's certainly worth the effort. As I posted earlier in the thread, I gave up all processed sugars, carbs, and food in general 3 years ago. This was not a diet. I changed my lifestyle.

It took only 3 months for 35 lbs to just fall away from me. I eventually lost around 40 lbs and have easily maintained a weight of around 180 ever since.

My wife was 180 lbs and after watching my transition, she too gave up these foods. She is now 135 lbs at 5' 8" tall.

It involves a commitment to change the way that you look at food. Some people like my father in law who is only 4 years older than I am (Yes...my wife is 20 years my junior...lucky me) and weighs in over 300 lbs. can't seem to stay away from the pizza, McDonald's, and soda. He tries to stop but can't. I suggested to my wife to have him get mental help for it. Believe it or not.....those foods are addictive by design. I had withdraw symptoms when I quit everything. I was lucky because I had a doctor coaching me through that time.

I gave up all of those foods and habits because I'm 53 and have an 8 year old boy. My father, his father, and grandfather only made it to their early 60's, but they lived unhealthy lifestyles. Smoking and bad eating habits. My sister passed away in 2005 from Gastric Bypass, She was 45 years old so that should tell you how dire it was for me to stop. But so far as I am concerned, there is never a small enough reason to change your lifestyle if it saves your life.

I sincerely hope that you find what you are looking for. ;)

You don't want to restrict carbs in the long run though, all of the healthiest foods contain carbohydrates - fruit, grains, beans etc

It's a long conversation so I won't get into it since we have google at our disposal, but the research shows that all of those people on low carb diets such as atkins, paleo and keto do lose weight, but sadly their chances of all-cause mortality actually goes up! :huh:

Which is the opposite result we're looking for, we want to be thin to be healthy, not thin to have a lighter coffin :thumbup:

Sorry to hear about your sister, I heard a lot of bad things about gastric bypass surgery recently, very sad.

Edited by TomOnSteam

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

"You don't want to restrict carbs in the long run though, all of the healthiest foods contain carbohydrates - fruit, grains, beans etc"

I take in plenty of carbs every day. As should everyone. What I am saying (I thought plainly) is that I cut out processed or simple carbs.

Complex carbs are carbs that are complete with all of the nutrience that make them healthy. Processed carbs that you find in white flour, pastas, crackers, etc.... have been stripped of all of that stuff so all you get is pure energy with no helpful vitamins and such to help your body use it.

Same exact premise goes for simple vs complex sugars.

• 1 month later...
Put it this way, I am encouraged by the results for such little effort :)

I will always be bignewy, my brother and I served together in the same infantry battalion, he was newy and I was bignewy.

Same battalion? That's impressive AND ballsy--too! ; if at war-time.

Brother and I enlisted Navy together at the same time : me 22, him 18. And started out basic together with the same company.

I busted my ass to get so I barely got thru swimming qualifications in the biggest indoor pool I ever saw.

A week later we got separated. He needed glasses and was set back one week.

I aced one of the exams and got the night off, so I looked him up to go visit him.

I went Bees and he went Fleet.

Nice for you!!

(Originally got up to 240 pounds. Dropped to 200; back to 210, currently 205 pounds and 30 to go. Added a mile walk daily at dawn!)

-+-

Thanks you guys for the motivation kick-in-the-butt!!

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Yeah my brother and I same battalion but they split us up, I was A coy 1plt he was C coy 7plt

nice weight loss die hard, keep it up