AV8B Harrier Panels

Brewnix

I was reading the Av8b flight manual and notice in the back there is a cockpit layout sheet for the left and right panels and front dash. Is there a way to figure out the correct dimensions for the panels and the dash?

EDIT-

Corrected 2 panels to hopefully the correct size. Well close, I setup them up with 3 parts

Top panel

middle plate to bolt top too! Bottom box to be 3d printed. I figured the bottom box since F360 is free I will leave it 2d and anyone can extrude the box to there specific size. Please feel free to grab and critique.

EDIT- 11/26 I have found some flaws to the panels and I have updated to what I think might be latest version. Moving lettering to 5mm and adjusted panel sizes accordingly and moved the 12mm wholes to 12.20. I m sorry for anyone looking at them I think this is the lastest though! I have changed 4 and working on the others.

EDIT-3/24/20 Added Landing gear panel and Temp throttle plate. Gonna try to produce my own throttle.

EDIT-3/20/20 Just FYI I ran across a dimension issue that I wanted to point out. I built the radius's to the panel to hold them in place with 5mm allen bolts. SO for every panel I measured per this doc \https://mycockpit.org/tutorials/Panelbuildingfocussedondimensions.pdf holes 9.525mm until I got the desired length of panel. Then because I am going to Allen bolts I based the radius of the top panel the 1.588 radius around allen bolt with 8.5mm head not the DZUS size bolt head. Just needed to make this clear for just in case it is noticed. I had forgot I did this and was thrown off I realize maybe I should be writing design notes down!

Capture.png

Just posting progress figure out how to url the pics from IMGBB

IMG-1546.jpg

ELEC Redo 2 v2.rar

INTR LT Redo 2 v6.rar

RPS YAW Redo 2 v5.rar

EXT LT Redo 2 v1.rar

ECS Redo 2 v3.rar

FUEL Redo 2 v5.rar

ACNIP Redo 2 v6.rar

UHF RADIO Redo 2 v5.rar

ANTI G Redo 2 v2.rar

THROTTLE Plate Redo 2 v5.rar

LANDING GEAR Redo 2 v20.rar

SAAHS Redo 2 v13.rar

Edited by Brewnix
  • Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Try this:

http://iiwiki.com/wiki/AV-8_Harrier#Avionics

The AV-8E has three liquid crystal display (LCD) panels. Their screens are in full color and they also contain anti-glare features. Two of these three are 4 in (10.16 cm) in diameter and they are oriented on the front of the main cockpit panel. The third is only 3 in (7.62 cm) in diameter and takes the place of several systems gauges, mounted center and down on the cockpit panel.

If it's true you could extrapolate from there?

It is the 'E' version though, unsure if they upgraded the display sizes. On typhoon they upgraded the displays from Crt to LCD but kept the same dimension so they didn't have to modify the up front bulkhead.

Edited by Mr_Burns

Thanks Mr Burns. Wondering if I were to blow up the print in the flight manual to some of the common gauge sizes like back up ALT,AOA,Airspeed. Place ruler on screen increase size till I get close and hit print. The MFD's would have to be close to same size as other aircraft. They probably would match F18 maybe, ok cool I think I have a plan. Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well for FA/18 Natops its 400% so you can centre screen on the panel you want, hit print, change size t0 400%, click more print options and check centre on view. With this you get pretty close prints.

Then what I am doing is cropping the pdf for the instrument I want to copy and exporting it (seems to be better than saving the crop, Im not too clever with Adobe).

I then open Coreldrawx8 and import the pdf as vectors (not text) and then you can measure the 400% pdf and pull the corner of the coreld drawer to match that size.

Then, I change all the text and lines to white, 0.3mm and bring to the front then draw a rectangle, fill it with black, send it to the back and et voila - you have a panel. I then print these at work as their laser printers are better than my ink jet!

You can then ungroup it all to remove the switch levers if you intent to put your own in.

But I dont know if they are the same scale.

Right I have been noticing some other things like there is no fastners in the NATOPS pics. I'm thinking its gonna be draw it up and make it look kind of close! What would be a good program to start drawing panels. I have been messing around with free version of Sketchup. My skills are horrible. But I think I am gonna Stick with it till i learn it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sketchup is my choice as well.

YT has dozens of good tutorials which helped me a lot.

Ok so a couple of hours of fiddling with sketchup I produced a panel. But wondering why in the text some letters are grey and some are white?

picture.php?albumid=1169&pictureid=9427

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Because the vectors are not closed the free MS 22558 font if you're using it has holes or unclose vectors. 3 d modeling programs are also not very good at text.

I would suggest you make your panel out line and holes and any relief for pcb in the 3d modeling program. Then export the face of your file to a DXF. file and import it into Corel Draw and place your text with your chosen font where you would like it, and save as a corell file then a DXF file for engraving.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Almost the same suggestion - and the way I'll use it:

Don't fiddle with too much details in your CAD-program. This should be used for the general design of the pit. Graphics belong IMO to a dedicated program like Gimp, Photoshop,...

So, export (somehow) the faces of the panels and fine-tune them in Inkscape/Gimp/...

The result should then be ready to print 1:1.

Depending on the level concerning the design of your pit, you'll surely need more than only one program. For me, I'm trying to master Sketchup, Gimp, KiCAD for the complete Pit. That altogether is a quite long road, but I like to learn that kind of new stuff.

Sure, there are other ways to skin the cat. ;)

Don't fiddle with too much details in your CAD-program. This should be used for the general design of the pit. Graphics belong IMO to a dedicated program like Gimp, Photoshop,...

So, export (somehow) the faces of the panels and fine-tune them in Inkscape/Gimp/...

Depending on the level concerning the design of your pit, you'll surely need more than only one program. For me, I'm trying to master Sketchup, Gimp, KiCAD for the complete Pit. That altogether is a quite long road, but I like to learn that kind of new stuff.

See, I feel the other way. I prefer putting in the smallest of details, as it makes things easier to orient/understand during assembly and for generating shop drawings. I have multiple simplified configurations for different manufacturing operations.

Because the vectors are not closed the free MS 22558 font if you're using it has holes or unclose vectors. 3 d modeling programs are also not very good at text.

I would suggest you make your panel out line and holes and any relief for pcb in the 3d modeling program. Then export the face of your file to a DXF. file and import it into Corel Draw and place your text with your chosen font where you would like it, and save as a corell file then a DXF file for engraving.

Ok I see what your are saying about the gaps in some of the lettering.

Ok so i think Only Sketchup Pro can Export to DXF file. Or is there a Extension or pluggin i can use for Sketchup Make. When i go to export the file/Export/3d model all I get is DAE and KMZ! Thanks for the tips.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First you should decide how you want to build your panels:

Fully CNC'd? With or without backlighting? Or just as a printout on paper/foil?

Assuming the easiest way as a print:

Just make a (big) screenshot with top view (parallel) in Sketchup and load in i.e. Gimp.

Draw in the markings and letters and you're almost done.

Concerning fully CNC'd panels: Here or over there at VP are highly skilled pit-designers, who'll surely help you doing it that way.

Ok alot to learn. So my first plan would be to build the panels and cnc router them and place back lighting. I have been toying with the idea of Glow in the dark sticky paper maybe with a black light to illuminate the printable panels. That idea was from Dog Fight boss printing glow n' the dark panels for his cockpit he makes. Thought I would try out a couple of panels to see how they work or if its viable solution. I have already tried printable glow n the dark photo paper it works but requires a lot of bright light to keep it lit bright for awhile that's why i was thinking a black light might help with. Got order black light.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...

already so i have been drowning my self in Fusion 360 and inkscape I have 2 things I drew up I planing making some how. So far this is what I got. This is close to scale by eye ball I have no idea exact measurements but im am tayloring them to the 3d printed hud I found on ebay. Just wanted to share! First thing I did I drew them in Fus360 then saved them as a DXF file then added the lettering in Inkscape then saved them as a PDF. I do plan to post the files so them can be downloaded if anyone wants even correct or add to. I am definitely game for help on creating these or even constructive criticism. I plane to 3d print the boxes and top plates to hold the buttons and rotary encoders that I am going to use. I have been inspired by the other 3d printed projects on this forum.

picture.php?albumid=1169&pictureid=10643

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

already so i have been drowning my self in Fusion 360 and inkscape I have 2 things I drew up I planing making some how. So far this is what I got. This is close to scale by eye ball I have no idea exact measurements but im am tayloring them to the 3d printed hud I found on ebay. Just wanted to share! First thing I did I drew them in Fus360 then saved them as a DXF file then added the lettering in Inkscape then saved them as a PDF. I do plan to post the files so them can be downloaded if anyone wants even correct or add to. I am definitely game for help on creating these or even constructive criticism. I plane to 3d print the boxes and top plates to hold the buttons and rotary encoders that I am going to use. I have been inspired by the other 3d printed projects on this forum.

Please please please release the files! I don't own a 3D printer but am in current contact with a perspex laser cutting company here in London who are doing some work for me and I think the combination of laser cutting and raster engraving (laser etching) would be awesome

:)

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

Please please please release the files! I don't own a 3D printer but am in current contact with a perspex laser cutting company here in London who are doing some work for me and I think the combination of laser cutting and raster engraving (laser etching) would be awesome

:)

I do plan to post the files. Just struggling to make them. Do you have any cad experience?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I do plan to post the files. Just struggling to make them. Do you have any cad experience?

A little bit,mostly in Sletchup though which I understand isn’t the best tool out there. What are you struggling with if you don’t mind me asking?

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

No i don't mind the questions at all I was just thinking maybe we could combine efforts or any ideas on making these work. Im learning Fusion 360, And its a steady 45 degree angle for me. But anyways I guess I can set a drop box account or send email of files back and forth. Technically I draw them 2d first and then I can save them as a DXF file. The posted pic above was made because the top layer of panels needs lettering so I figured I would make those in Inkscape and saved as a PDF, they came out alright just not perfect.

I m working on the DropBox thing so stand by.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...