Su-25T Laser Rangefinder - what's it for?

I just watched the Training mission for the Shkval, and it showed how to use the AC mode to lock on to targets. It talked about turning on the Laser Rangefinder, it gets hot and needs to cool down. But If I can lock on to a target before turning it on, what do I need it for? I can lock on to a target without it.

I know it's a stupid question, there is surely a good use for it. But the training doesn't say as far as I can tell.

The AT-9's in particular employ laser "beam-rider" guidance. Sensors are mounted in the tail of the missile and the sensors detect the laser beam emitted by the laser rangefinder of the T-Frog and follow the laser beam directly to the target. No laser = no LA, even though target will be locked.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Correct. IIRC the only fire-and-forget missile is the 29T. Technically the 58's and 25MPU are also fire-and-forget, but launched with the Phanta pod.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Why does the laser on the su-25t get so hot? I mean, beam-rider lasers are a couple of magnitudes less powerful than 'ordinary' lasers that just paint the target. I mean, why can some other laser-guidance equipped aircraft like the F-15e lase for extended amounts of time, and the su-25t, with the little wee low powered laser can't?

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

It's because laser designators require a lot of power to simply designate, given the frequency and range they have to typically operate at.

LOMAC Section| | Gaming Resume (PDF) | Gallery | Flanker2.51 Storage Site |

Also known as Flanker562 back in the day...

Steam ID EricJ562 | DCS: A-10A/C Pilot | DCS: Su-25T Pilot | Texture Artist

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

Leo and M1 use a laser rangefinder only, and that too can be damaged.

Remember Force Feedback, today's lasers and those old lasers are not the same technologically speaking. Today you get more power, less heat.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

On the tail?

The AT-9's in particular employ laser "beam-rider" guidance. Sensors are mounted in the tail of the missile and the sensors detect the laser beam emitted by the laser rangefinder of the T-Frog and follow the laser beam directly to the target. No laser = no LA, even though target will be locked.

The laser will also increase the precision of the employment of "dumb" weapons considerable in some circumstances.

The position of the piper on your HUD wich will show the estimated impact point of your unguided weapons is calculated by your fire controll computer. One important information for this calculation is range to target. Without a laser, like in the A-10 or in the Su-25 with the laser turned off, the computer will calculate target range with flight attitude and your height over ground using a "pytagoras calculation". For this to work the computer assumes that the target has the same height above sea level as the ground below your aircraft ( =the terrain is flat ). As long as the terrain is actualy flat, this works excellent. But in rough terrains your CCIP will be off, showing false results.

Not so with your laser turned on. The laser will measure target reange directly and allow precise CCIP calculation. This makes the Su-25 a very precise attack plattform, especially in rough terrain.

Altough the Su-25 might look very simple, it actualy has more sophisticated attack avionics than the A-10.

Got a pic? Looks like it"s on the nose to me??

A laser guided missile like the Kh-29L has a forward looking seekerhead to home on laser energy being reflected off the target - the Vikhr has no seekerhead, but as 159_Viper mentioned, rearward facing sensors instead to pick up the direction of laser bursts as they are being emitted from the launching aircraft - i.e. the Vikhr is a "laser-beam-riding" missile :) .

This type of laser guidance is employed to provide extended range and ability to engage a moving target.

- JJ.

JJ

Understand but im confused see the wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT-9_Spiral-2

A laser guided missile like the Kh-29L has a forward looking seekerhead to home on laser energy being reflected off the target - the Vikhr has no seekerhead, but as 159_Viper mentioned, rearward facing sensors instead to pick up the direction of laser bursts as they are being emitted from the launching aircraft - i.e. the Vikhr is a "laser-beam-riding" missile :) .

This type of laser guidance is employed to provide extended range and ability to engage a moving target.

- JJ.

What's confusing?

If it is the fuze, then remember, fuze and seeker are not the same thing.

The Vikhr in BS has a prox fuze which you can activate before launch if you know you will be attacking an airborne target, IIRC.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Previous posts just stated the At-9 was laser guided, no biggy, and web sites stated the missile was lock on before launch, ie acquire the laser before launch, bit hard to do if the seeker is in the rear end of the missile and the designator on the nose of the chopper.

What's confusing?

If it is the fuze, then remember, fuze and seeker are not the same thing.

The Vikhr in BS has a prox fuze which you can activate before launch if you know you will be attacking an airborne target, IIRC.