Can't decide if I want to jump in "Rift".

JIMJAM

Vet simmer, latest greatest Falcon NE build, 1080 ti MSI VR ready card, 38' Sony 4k tv, TM HOG Hotas, track IR....

I have all the ingredients but one. I no longer have the drive to spend countless hours tweeking to get something right like I use to. Seeing I will be sitting and simming I assume setting up 2 sensors will be simple. Appears my card has 2 hdmi needed. I DO wear reading glasses which is a major issue in my decision. Also there are reports of failing hdmi issues with the Rift.

Do I jump in now at $400 or wait till the major changes with DCS and wait till the dust settles?

In other words is VR going to BLOW:yes: this old simmer's mind so go ahead and whip out the CC or leave well enough alone and wait a while longer?

My advice hasn't changed. If getting kills is the most important thing to you, don't get the Rift. It can't compete with 1440 monitors in terms of clarity. If you like the competitive edge of TrackIR giving you the ability to check six by turning your head just a little bit, don't get the Rift.

If you want to experience what it's like to fly, get the Rift. Even things like touch-n-go's are fun in VR. It's not so much fun on monitors.

I got VR lens/goggles because I need glasses to see distance. If you only wear reading glasses, you're probably OK. But I'll let others chime in with real life experience.

For $400, I don't see how you could possibly go wrong given your Falcon NE build. And finally, there's nothing to tweak. Watch the "all things VR sticky thread" and you're off and running.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I cannot fly without track ir. For me its the IMMERSION. I flew IRL for 30+ yrs so no longer into setting up intricate flight plans, programming a FMS etc. The AI is so wonky I may ground pound some but for the the most part just burn holes in the sky. Watched the vids, heard the oohs and aahs but also lived through the numerous VR hype of the past.

I do not know the scoop on what the near future holds for the goggles or if a major upgrade or version is on the near horizon. $400 is cheap for sim gear but that said I don't want to buy right before a new version is forecast to be released.

"My advice is to wait until Monday to see what the new HTC headset will have." EXACTLY. As with vid cards there is always a "better,faster" around the corner.

Going to decide by Sunday night Anything else needed? The Amazon package has the goggles, 2 controllers and iirc 2 sensors. My computer/tv are within 3-4 ft of me if that so don't think I need the extension.

Edited by JIMJAM

"My advice is to wait until Monday to see what the new HTC headset will have."
EXACTLY. As with vid cards there is always a "better,faster" around the corner.
Yes; in this case you are not waiting weeks or months for the possibility of an announcement. They are announcing a newer headset with higher resolution.

https://twitter.com/htcvive/status/949339978521169920

Going to decide by Sunday night Anything else needed? The Amazon package has the goggles, 2 controllers and iirc 2 sensors. My computer/tv are within 3-4 ft of me if that so don't think I need the extension.
What's one more day? You can go ahead and purchase now - you may or may not come to regret it.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Oh hell, in that case, it's not even up for debate. I thought TrackIR was incredible. Turns out it wasn't even in the same ballpark..not even in the same State!

And you don't need anything else other than free USB 2 ports. You need one for the HMD, and two for the sensors.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

This was like going to Oktoberfest and asking if beer was good.

Did you hear that?????

That was the sound of $400 leaving my bank. Oh and about 6 other "must haves" that have been patiently waiting in Amazon's cart for 6 months.

Straight up the resolution thing can be an issue as others have said however especially if you fly helicopters or just enjoy "casual flying" I am sure you will be blown away!

Manoeuvring your helicopter around objects and low level flying are amazing with the spatial perception that VR brings. Sure the rendering isn't as good as the flat screen you have but the experience is well worth it.

I am longsighted and find I do not need glasses for the Rift at all! However if you do need it, corrective lenses are available for Rift.

Keep in mind VR is fairly new technology and it's not perfect and better stuff is always "just around the corner". My Rift cost me the best part of AUD$1000 12 months ago but for me it's well worth it.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Well its a done deal...Here Tuesday.

I understand there is some software to be preloaded so best to wait for the Rift or can I go ahead and preload? If so where?

Have some time to read up and try to reduce the learning curve and take notes on best settings, positioning the sensors for a seated position etc...

Any places besides here that are "must reads" for VR simming feel free to post em. Thanks all..

You will never go back if you try a Rift. I can't fly without it anymore.

What he said.... 2D is so boring, and yesterday... can't beat the immersion of VR. :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Or asking a Scotsman if Scotch is any good! LOL :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Well its a done deal...Here Tuesday.

I understand there is some software to be preloaded so best to wait for the Rift or can I go ahead and preload? If so where?

Have some time to read up and try to reduce the learning curve and take notes on best settings, positioning the sensors for a seated position etc...

Any places besides here that are "must reads" for VR simming feel free to post em. Thanks all..

You can't setup the software w/o the HMD. (https://www.oculus.com/setup/)

You can read up on other games (there's a few that come with the package) that you can try. I bought Apollo 11 and that was way cool! Robo Recall is a blast, no pun intended. Enjoy it!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Well I have not flown IRL since I was 45 almost 8 yrs ago when I was injured in a helicopter incident that ruined my back. Been simmng since Microprose F-19 on a mighty 25 mhz Tandy from Radio shack that cost $3000.

Really look forward to the experience and downloading the programs now.

Only real unknown is my glasses which are really for close up small print. A little heat in the middle and I can bend them to hug my face.

Wait until it arrives is my advice - the installation and setup process is very polished, and the tutorial game is actually one of the shining gems of the whole experience! Assuming you got the touch bundle, take the time to enjoy some of the other aspects of VR and familiarise yourself with the dash environment. You are currently able to opt into the new beta software, which hugely increases the interactivity of the menu and home system (essentially the VR environment when you’re not in game)

I bought it for flying, but I’ve had fun playing the other stuff beyond a level I can describe. Superhot VR is an absolute masterpiece of immersion and action.

For DCS, watch Jabbers’ YouTube video, which explains everything you need to know about configuring the settings for optimal VR performance. I found it to be pretty much plug and play. Hint - Resolution, monitor config and aspect ratio do nothing in VR!

It’s worth configuring shortcuts to launch VR and standard mode for DCS, so you don’t have to mess around with the options.

DCS has ‘Re-center view’ and ‘VR zoom’ keybinds in the preferences, which are very useful during flight. To save you a headache, the VR zoom is a momentary push command, which zooms to a preset magnification, and returns to normal when you release the button. It is not an axis.

If you have touch controllers connected, you will see them in the cockpit, but at this stage they are non-functional static hands. Just put them out of the way. Shift-P will show/hide the pilot model in some aircraft, it adds amazing immersion in VR, but also masks a lot of switches, so consider binding it to something accessible.

I hope that helps with taking your first steps into VR. As others have said, the resolution keeps it from being 100% perfect, but I am confident you will forgive that the second you’ve moved your head!

Edited by Ragtop

476th vFG Alumni

Look forward to being a face masher.

I have almost all the DCS modules but recently been flying the snot out of the Harrier. I have the TM HOG programmed for all but for most can mouse what I need. The exceptions are cases like using mavs or other guided weapons. As I said though, flying the helis and warbirds and maybe having to set a puke bucket next to me would make me a happy man. Flew 5+ yrs wearing NVGs so flying with sweat and a scuba mask on will not be so alien.

Edited by JIMJAM

Yep when I first got Rift I flew the Huey for about half an hour and thought WOW! Then I jumped into the Gazelle and after about 10 minutes I had to land and take a break or things would not have gone well. :D

Some people get a little motion sick and some don't initially however after some use it becomes very natural.

As for the glasses thing wait as I said I found I was fine without glasses with the headset.

<edit>

Oh and BTW the Rift does NOT have to attach to the face with the veracity of an alien face huger especially for flight sim use. And you will no doubt develop VR hair. :P

Edited by FragBum
<edit>

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Well I have not flown IRL since I was 45 almost 8 yrs ago when I was injured in a helicopter incident that ruined my back. Been simmng since Microprose F-19 on a mighty 25 mhz Tandy from Radio shack that cost $3000.

Only real unknown is my glasses which are really for close up small print. A little heat in the middle and I can bend them to hug my face.

Sorry to hear about the accident. Huey and A10C are my favorite modules. Gazelle too!.

How funny, I had the same Tandy 1000 (with *a built-in sound and 16 color CGA!!) :) and F19 and Gunship. Some of my favorite memories of computer gaming came from MicroProse. Knights in the Sky multiplayer with modems. Flight of the Intruder with null modems. But F19 and Gunship hold a special place in my hear!:thumbup:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Look forward to being a face masher.

I have almost all the DCS modules but recently been flying the snot out of the Harrier. I have the TM HOG programmed for all but for most can mouse what I need. The exceptions are cases like using mavs or other guided weapons. As I said though, flying the helis and warbirds and maybe having to set a puke bucket next to me would make me a happy man. Flew 5+ yrs wearing NVGs so flying with sweat and a scuba mask on will not be so alien.

you'll get your "sea legs" with VR. Some might take a little longer than others. I managed after a couple of flights. Now, it's never an issue, but those first couple of flights, I felt my stomach get a little light... but all good.

you're in for a treat my man! There is no way you'll ever go back to 2D flying. VR is flight sim crack!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

There is always this option.

https://vr-lens-lab.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

I had a hell of a time setting up my trackir seeing that I have such a large tv. You can't set it on top "to high" and to far. So I had to make a clear plastic stand that sets on the table at the right height and distance so it works with my cap.

I see the rift has 2 sensors but all the vids are made for small room moving around. Any tips/tricks on setting them up for a stationary sim situation? No doubt I am over thinking this but I always have and always will.

All I am sure of is my MSI 1080 ti says it is VR ready with 2 hdmi, I have enough ports and I am assuming this comes with any other cables needed. Nothing worse than having to run to BB for that cable/adapter.

edit- Thanks Lucky. Company seems to be overseas. I can fly quad copters with various goggles but of course you can adjust the camera focus. In vr as with a monitor you can focus your eyes to a certain extent. Question is will that slightly out of whack focus get the best of you and lead to headaches or nausea. My high $$ glasses have 2 lenses for long distance and reading. They meet the mm criteria from Oculus and I also have a few tricks up my sleeve if they are to big. Worst thing would be scratching the glass in the unit. Have to wait and see what awaits me.

Edited by JIMJAM

I'm a 42 yr old male who started with f19 stealth fighter and needs reading glasses.

don't worry about your eyes :)

the people on here complaining most about VR have 20/20 vision. poor lambs.

all they see are pixels and screen door.

the long sighted see a slightly more blurry version of normal DCS.

and are more blown away by the spatial awareness..

really its a middle aged mans toy.

we don't see the bad graphics because of age related eye degradation.

we don't mess up our hair because of male pattern baldness.

and skin like shoe leather hides the marks left by rift face :)

welcome to the club. ;)

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.