2.5 Model enlargement - distant visibility

Rhinozherous

A long time ago there was something called model enlargement to better spot planes in the distant. As I am a returner to dcs close before the 2.5 version I wonder what happened to this concept? Is it completely removed, changed into other, or is there something new with 2.5 in this concept? How do you do your spotting?

Thank you!

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

The "spot in the distance" mechanic now is OK, but for me who is sitting with a 1440p screen, the spot is veeeery small. I have trouble spotting enemies far away.

So this could be tweaked more, like darkening the spot-spots a bit?

At least it's better than the Model Enlargement solution. (please don't bring it back ;) )

//Jarl

Spotting seems much easier in 2.5 for both air and ground. I think the new lighting makes a huge difference.

I don't know but for me it's waaaay harder recognize the planes (I play in VR).

It was much easier in 1.5, yesterday I played a bit of Cold War and to understand what was the enemy fighter I had to get really, really close.

The harrier is a bit easier since you can see the smoke trails.

It might also be the fact that both of these engagement were from the tail, instead of the usual merge headon / lateral.

PC : i7 7700K | NVIDIA 2070 Super | 32GB RAM 3000MHz

Modules : FC3 | Bf 109K-4 Kurfurst | F-5E-3 Tiger II | A-10C Worthog | MiG-21Bis Fishbed | UH-1H Huey | Combined Arms | AJS-37 Viggen | F/A-18C Hornet | Ka-50 | F-14A&B Tomcat! | L-39 | Mi-8MTV | Persian Gulf | F-86F | MiG-15 | AV-8B N/A | M-2000C | P-51D | F-16C | Yak-52 | Nevada | SA342 | NS430 | JF-17

Virpil WarBRD | Virpil VFX Grip

VR has the problems, because low resolution and smudging lenses. With display it is more realistic.

You can spot in optimal situations if you know where to look exactly, a C-130 size aircraft from about 30km distance, but it is just that you can see there is something. But if you don't know where to look, you will not spot them than by pure luck if you happen to look exactly at them.

With VR, it is radically shorter distance and even at far closer ranges it becomes far more difficult to spot something. And it is just annoying as you know it is in general direction, you look and you scan and you try and you just can't, until suddenly from 2km distance the missile trail appears straight where you are looking...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Maybe DCS.exe can see that VR is used. That enlargement is bigger then by normal use in a monitor. Checked by IC or something else. It's a thought.

When dcs.exe -vr is used then modelenlargement =1.5 :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

VR has the problems, because low resolution and smudging lenses. With display it is more realistic.

You can spot in optimal situations if you know where to look exactly, a C-130 size aircraft from about 30km distance, but it is just that you can see there is something. But if you don't know where to look, you will not spot them than by pure luck if you happen to look exactly at them.

With VR, it is radically shorter distance and even at far closer ranges it becomes far more difficult to spot something. And it is just annoying as you know it is in general direction, you look and you scan and you try and you just can't, until suddenly from 2km distance the missile trail appears straight where you are looking...

4K users also have the same issue. Its not as simple as you suggest.

Its a piece of the puzzle that was very well received and unfortunately removed for reasons unknown.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

What model enlargement bright to VR was more than spotting distance. Currently we can use labels to create dots that fade in and out with distance that works well in VR for me, but the lack what the enlargement brought.

What it brought to VR was the ability to properly judge aspect of a target a a decent distance. Chasing dots is one thing, but to be able to see the wing position of a target a few on away makes combat much more enjoyable as you can avoid playing zoom bungie

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

• 2 weeks later...

New VR googles with more resolution are coming soon.

I have on radar HTC VIVE PRO.

I Hope 2.5 has a new model visibility, different from actual based on pixels.

Actually i have a 27" 4K and it´s impossible to spot nothing.

I don´t wanto to have same problem in VR Googles.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know but for me it's waaaay harder recognize the planes (I play in VR).

It was much easier in 1.5, yesterday I played a bit of Cold War and to understand what was the enemy fighter I had to get really, really close.

The harrier is a bit easier since you can see the smoke trails.

It might also be the fact that both of these engagement were from the tail, instead of the usual merge headon / lateral.

I play in VR and I can't identify planes easily at all. I am starting to recognize the F15 when I see it since my brother and I are flying it and we see each other on screen so much. But you have to be so close to see the shape of the aircraft, you'll be in the middle of a dogfight by the time you can identify the plane. But by that point they're already shooting at you so you just engage. I am now able to see planes out in the distance very easily, I just can't identify them if they're not showing up on radar.

New VR googles with more resolution are coming soon.

I have on radar HTC VIVE PRO.

I Hope 2.5 has a new model visibility, different from actual based on pixels.

Actually i have a 27" 4K and it´s impossible to spot nothing.

I don´t wanto to have same problem in VR Googles.

Please let us know how that Vive Pro does. It seems like a rip off with just slightly better optics than Oculus Rift with an $800 price tag for the headset with no controllers or base stations. The setup will cost over $1,200 vs $399 for a rift. I'd like to know how much better the optics are for 3 times the cost. My guess is it will make it look the same if not just barley better than the rift and it has all the upgrades they charged extra money for. Like headphones and a premium headstrap. Though by the price, it seems they're still charging you.