DCS CAPPED AT 64FPS - VSYNC OFF

Goa

Hi all,

first of all I apologise to fill in the forum with all my problems.

I am running a fresh intall of win 10 FCU 1709 and of course fresh install of DCS 2.5.

Vsync is off both in game and nvidia control panel, the game is capped at 64 fps, alt-enter doesnt change anything game still remains at 64fps.

In my saved games folder I placed an autoexec with fps limit 120, game still capped at 64fps (all vsync options are OFF).

Removed autoexec from config folder (under saved games), game still capped at 64fps.

My monitor is an asus pg278QR Gsync, I've changed options in NVC and put it at fixed refresh rate of 120fps : game still capped at 64fps.

So is it a DCS bugg??

Thaniks for the advise.

Furthermore , is there any possibility to open a "ticket" with DCS in order to solve this problem?

Who should I contact to send some logs if needed.

My specs:

CPU: I7 7700K

MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO

RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHZ GSKILL TRIDENT Z

GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX OC 1080TI

MONITOR: ASUS PG278QR 165HZ GSYNC CAPABLE.

Glad to hear from you.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

DCS is not cap'ed at all. Neither a bug as I am running up to 90 FPS on a pretty much similar rig.

Wondering about that 64 FPS... cannot really understand the source of this value. How long this value is sustained? Is this just a maximum spike or it holds 64 FPS longer time? Did you tried multiple missions or online servers?

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Any chance you have set "frame rate limiter" in your Nvidia profile?

Do you have any other apps running? (ex: MSI Afterburner or something else with a frame limiter)

Didn't you imply that you had over 120fps at times in the TrackIR thread? Did you change anything?

Edited by prccowboy

Do you have any other apps running? (ex: MSI Afterburner or something else with a frame limiter)

Didn't you imply that you had over 120fps at times in the TrackIR thread? Did you change anything?

I dont have MSI nor any other gpu tools installed on my pc.

The only way to remove the fps cap limit is to delete max fps from graphichs.lua but I dont wanna delete that line, I want to figure out why its capping fps at 64, not 60, but 64.

If i put vsync on (in game or in nvcp) then fps would go from 60 up to 100 abut then get back again to 64 and remain again at 64 nevertheless i press alt-enter or not.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

I formatted pc and put again a fresh insatall of win10 (build 1709, same as before formatting my ssd).

Now if I want to run the game without being fps capped I am forced to remove the max.fps line from graphics.lua which I suspsect it is also the reason of trackir stutter.

It is also strange that my monitor show me fps 120 but fraps and ingame fps counter shows 64 fps.

no I am not using 391.01, i have 388.31, i have this bug with all the drivers.

and only with DCS, other games are not capped at this strange "64" fps, its not even 60, but 64 despite the monitor refresh rate is set at 120hz.

I formatted pc and put again a fresh insatall of win10 (build 1709, same as before formatting my ssd).

Now if I want to run the game without being fps capped I am forced to remove the max.fps line from graphics.lua which I suspsect it is also the reason of trackir stutter.

It is also strange that my monitor show me fps 120 but fraps and ingame fps counter shows 64 fps.

Someone was having the same issue with 1.5 as well, see here https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=175085

Go to C:\Users\yourname\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config

Create a text file called autoexec.cfg and add the line

options.graphics.maxfps = 120;

Set the max FPS to what you want, save and run.

If you already have the autoexec.cfg from custom skins just add the line to the file.

Edited by Washout

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.dfa-squadron.co.uk

My rig:Intel i5 2500K @4.5Ghz ,ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe,MSI 1080 GTX Gaming X edition,16gig Cosair DDR3 2400Mhz RAM, Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog/Saitek pro pedals,TrackIR4

Go to C:\Users\yourname\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config

Create a text file called autoexec.cfg and add the line

options.graphics.maxfps = 120;

Set the max FPS to what you want, save and run.

If you already have the autoexec.cfg from custom skins just add the line to the file.

Dude dis you read my post? I already placed an autoexec.cfg with correct line for fps max 120, and the game is capped at 64fps.

Hi Goa, for starters maybe check the fps using DCS itself if you get different fps readings from different sources. Press Ctrl+Pause to see the fps in DCS.

I got the FCU shoved down my throat last friday and tried the game mode in DCS, headtracking (non TrackIR) was sluggish, turned game mode off and it was fine again.

Edited by Coug4r

-

If man were meant to fly he'd be filled with helium.

This is going to sound weird.... but I encountered a similar issue when first installing 2.5

For some reason my frame rate was capped to 64 FPS even while in the game menus (not actually "flying").

What fixed it? I enabled nvidia share (shadowplay) overlay in Geforce Experience and suddenly was back to normal framerates.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I am really surprised about how much complaints of fps I read in DCS forums.

Just for reference, and then you can continue complaining. In XP 11.20 VR5 I get with Oculus on roughly 22-25 fps, I get around 90fps with TrackIR. In P3DV4.2 I get 15-20fps with VR singlepass and with TrackIR 35fps. If I use the VRS F18 in P3D, my frames drop between 8 and 15fps.

I am stucked at 45fps in DCS and Oculus VR. This is what I read on screen. I can fly fluid, no stutters, nothing in DCS 2.5. I can fly fast complex jets and have no restrictions. Pure fun.

Please go on now ...

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

I can understand the desire for higher fps (up to a point)... especially during air-to-air combat (something I personally try to avoid in the Hawg :music_whistling:)

Various studies have shown that humans can perceive over 500hz, up to 3khz (500-3000fps), so during the intensity of "combat" in DCS, higher fps equals faster response time and better perceived fluidity.

As a reference point: NASA and the USAF targeted 120fps (8ms frame render time) for the OBVA simulator https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=20120014276

That said, I think IRL the G-force impact on your body and mechanical response time of the aircraft would limit some of the fast maneuvers that people attempt on pc games.

Personally, I can perceive the difference in 144 vs. 60 vs. 45fps, but I'm extremely happy if I can get a steady 60fps (to match my TV refresh). Nevertheless, I give credit to those wanting to drive higher fps if their hardware can handle it.

Edited by prccowboy

Just for reference, and then you can continue complaining. In XP 11.20 VR5 I get with Oculus on roughly 22-25 fps, I get around 90fps with TrackIR. In P3DV4.2 I get 15-20fps with VR singlepass and with TrackIR 35fps. If I use the VRS F18 in P3D, my frames drop between 8 and 15fps.

I am stucked at 45fps in DCS and Oculus VR. This is what I read on screen. I can fly fluid, no stutters, nothing in DCS 2.5. I can fly fast complex jets and have no restrictions. Pure fun.

Please go on now ...

*Clap clap* kudos to you.. nobody's talking about FPS while in flight in this thread btw. The guy had an issue where his fps wouldn't exceed 64 even in the game menus... which is some kind of bug. That - and just because you're okay with low fps doesn't mean people won't always be looking for a way to increase their own.

That last line in your post? Follow your own advice if you're not going to be helpful maybe.

• Like 1
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Just once again - pointing out Goa was experiencing a bug that seems to effect g-sync users, with the only known work around atm being - install geforce experience and enable the shadowplay overlay.

Not a "complaint" of "My hardware is only pulling such and such frames per second in DCS.".

The game menus themselves will easily hit the 180 fps cap set in the graphics.lua when functioning normally and no v-sync or g-sync even on older hardware (or perhaps even ASW).

There is no g-sync monitor in existence that's capped specifically to 64hz refresh rate or frame limit. This bug also prevents the user from exceeding 64 fps in flight when hardware permits otherwise.

A bug is a bug. A 2016 thread was linked about the same bug. :P I've experienced this bug and know exactly what the OP was going through.

So has ccamillo apparently.

I'm not trying to be a forum moderator or anything here, but I fail to see the purpose of posting in this thread if you aren't experiencing said bug or attempting to help the OP fix said bug having experienced it before.

Not everyone's a fan of Geforce Experience either, so using it as a workaround isn't the ideal fix for everyone. It does work for now though.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Thanks to everyone for supporting me ,indeed the intention of this thread was only trying to find a solution which indeed works if using shadowplay within geforce-experience.

The other solution is deleting maxfps line from graphics.lua in dcs config folder.

Anyway it is strange that this problem only occurs to gsync monitors despite gsync was dectivated on nvcp.

• 2 months later...

Hey Goa not good to see u again struggeling. As i see youre running Asus equip as i do. Do u use the AISuite or did u overlocked your system ?

DCS seems struggeling with overlocking the cpu and having AISuite running in the backround.

As DCS seems not to need much CPU power and more uses memory and V memory power its should worth it to try out to keep the cpu as not overlocked as possible.

At the moment im struggeling around with the news update and Persian Gulf Map to find a sweet spot for settings. But im not as far with figuring it out as i want. But still MSAA and overlocking seems to be a problem. As u already killed MSAA theres only the overlocking thing left in my opinion even my opinion isnt experienced enough to tell you were the your problem is : /

Hey Goa not good to see u again struggeling. As i see youre running Asus equip as i do. Do u use the AISuite or did u overlocked your system ?

DCS seems struggeling with overlocking the cpu and having AISuite running in the backround.

As DCS seems not to need much CPU power and more uses memory and V memory power its should worth it to try out to keep the cpu as not overlocked as possible.

At the moment im struggeling around with the news update and Persian Gulf Map to find a sweet spot for settings. But im not as far with figuring it out as i want. But still MSAA and overlocking seems to be a problem. As u already killed MSAA theres only the overlocking thing left in my opinion even my opinion isnt experienced enough to tell you were the your problem is : /

As long as your OC is stable, there will be no problem.

Just if DCS crashes all the time when you run an OC, then it is likely not stable, not for DCS and very likely not for test apps too.

Many pilots run highly overclocked rigs and dont have issues due to overclocking alone, remember that when you hit a crash wall. The reason is your specific OC, not the code.

;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Sapphire  Nitro+ 7800XT - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Hi mate, I dont have this problem anymore, I've solved it by deleting max fps string from graphics.lua.

anyway i OCED manually as always, everything is smooth as silk expect I must run game at max 60fps as trackir would generare stuttering between 60 and 120 fps.

:thumbup: