VR FPS (2.5.1.16543.355)

Flighter

So I’ll do a repair on my game and see if that helps anything, but I did take off and I’m still getting only 15-25 FPS. THis is quite frustrating as I’ve been jonesing for DCS for the last 5 months.
Have you tried what I suggested above? Having dcs rebuild the graphics sections by renaming your saved games folder to something else ?

That usually will resync everything.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah I missed that part of your post. Something is seriously off if you are only getting those fps. Have you tested your gpu in other games to make sure it's performaning properly?

I can't think of what else it may be if a clean install was done, drivers all up to date, etc.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

So I did what you suggested but it didn’t fix the problem. But the good news is I figure out what the problem was, it was my squadrons mission. I can do any other mission just fine, with 35-45 FPS with high setting so thanks for the help everyone, it was most appreciated

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Same FPS in 2.5.0 and 2.5.1 for me

Same for me. Same settings same frames

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Same for me. Same settings same frames

Guys, going from 2.5.0 to 2.5.1 with identical settings is not producing any noticeable difference in performance.

The whole issue is that 2.5.1 does not let you turn off Deferred Shading and the FPS penalty for that is gigantic (increasingly so with MSAA on x2 and x4).

Check what difference it makes using 2.5.0 and switching DS on and off (restart of the sim is required).

Cheers

JUSTDOGFIGHT server - For Nickname reservation, stats, server map, instructions and other content visit our site justdogfight.com

🙂 Smile 🙂

Switch MSAA off when using VR. Everything flickers either way.

lemoen, MSAA makes a hell of a difference on my system. Try on 2.5.0 with DS off, PD 1.5 and MSAAx4.

JUSTDOGFIGHT server - For Nickname reservation, stats, server map, instructions and other content visit our site justdogfight.com

🙂 Smile 🙂

No flickering for me, I'm using a Pixel density of 1.5 on the Samsung Odyssey with mostly high settings. Without msaa in 2.5.1, the world just looks a bit more bland, there is no smooth shine as there is with 2x msaa. 4x makes it shimmer more but kills performance.

2.5.1 update 1 no improvement... sad...

I have just installed and tested today's update (2.5.1.16987)

I am afraid that the miracle I was expecting did not happen... :cry:

Performance is identical with previous beta.

attachment.php?attachmentid=184316

I am sad.

Edited by Flighter

🙂 Smile 🙂

Yea I don't think there are any performance related updates here in this update.

Well I bit the bullet and allowed the latest 2.5.1 update. IMHO, my experience in VR has been completely ruined.

When I test as I describe here, I used to get around 115 fps (in 2.5.0). Now with the same settings I get 50 fps.

If I turn off MSAA (from 4x), I get 100 fps, but it looks like sh1t.

I realise VR users are a minority, but I am now very annoyed. I have spent a lot of money upgrading my system, in the main for this game. The way ED just made the DS change on us without warning, causing a cut of > 50% of frame rate, is, I think, unacceptable.

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

MSAA 2x and off looks basically the same

Well on my system, with my particular settings, MSAA off is an atrocious shimmering mess. 2x is a lot better, and 4x is considerably better than 2x. Unfortunately fps goes down the toilet.

When reading your comments, I wonder at how our subjective experiences can be so different.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Well on my system, with my particular settings, MSAA off is an atrocious shimmering mess. 2x is a lot better, and 4x is considerably better than 2x. Unfortunately fps goes down the toilet.

When reading your comments, I wonder at how our subjective experiences can be so different.

Hi Hippo.

I cannot agree with you more.

I think people went for DF as it was the new kid on the block and did not compare/evaluate it properly.

Plus the priority in VR is the frame rate and the maximization of the perceived image quality (because of the low resolution of out HMDs).

These two things got a deadly hit from the new developments.

I tried last night to play on line in 2.5.1. I wanted to convince myself that there is some setting that is OK, even with less overall quality.

I am afraid that I was left in disappointment and frustration.

Cheers !

🙂 Smile 🙂

Agree entirely.

To add to the frustration, I pre-ordered the F-18 assuming I had found settings which would work for me. This is no longer the case, and the sense of disappointment is enormous. I'm thinking of asking for a refund.

Agree entirely.

To add to the frustration, I pre-ordered the F-18 assuming I had found settings which would work for me. This is no longer the case, and the sense of disappointment is enormous. I'm thinking of asking for a refund.

If you must use msaa keep it at 2x. I agree with you, performance in 2.5 was better. But I've always been on the beta branch for a while now.

What's odd is I seem to get about 45-55 fps with 2x msaa and higher settings than you with a pixel density of 1.5. Not sure what your specs are but it looks like you need at least a 1080ti to get playable performance with a decent look in VR. For me it's playable and seems smooth when I'm flying. I dont really know how to record fps because I'm using a Samsung Odyssey. With my occulus I could enable the tool tray and get the fps in my view.

I tried the latest update to the Beta last night, and I'm with you Flighter. There is still no option to turn Deferred Shading off, and with AA on at all you only get slightly better performance than in the previous version of the Beta. Things seem smooth if you're looking straight ahead, but looking left or right in VR, everything is constantly jumping back and forth like one eye is lagging behind the other eye. Not to mention that Deferred Shading is just plain ugly, and the cockpit has gone back to looking like a cartoon. I can understand that they want to develop things in the sim to take advantage of newer technology and techniques, but I think it was a mistake to take the Deferred Shading option out of the settings menu.

My main gripe with the Beta, though, is the default position in the cockpit in VR. Now they have you sitting way too far back from the panel and HUD. So far back that its extremely difficult to keep the stick within reach so I can hit the VR re-center button I have mapped to the paddle switch once I'm finally far enough away and sitting high enough to set center at a more realistic distance and height.

Just to pre-empt any "Its a Beta!" comments, that is fully understood, and the reason for having a Beta being open to all users is so bugs can be reported and squashed more effectively. If we don't speak up about things we see and don't like, we're kind of defeating the intended purpose of an open Beta.

The really great thing about how they're approaching this now is that we can have both the Stable and the Beta installed without burning extra activations. We no longer have to worry about killing the whole thing with an update and having to wait for a fix. It lets the developers keep improving things, and lets us keep flying if they miss something. That was a brilliant idea! :pilotfly:

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I tried the latest update to the Beta last night, and I'm with you Flighter. There is still no option to turn Deferred Shading off, and with AA on at all you only get slightly better performance than in the previous version of the Beta. Things seem smooth if you're looking straight ahead, but looking left or right in VR, everything is constantly jumping back and forth like one eye is lagging behind the other eye. Not to mention that Deferred Shading is just plain ugly, and the cockpit has gone back to looking like a cartoon. I can understand that they want to develop things in the sim to take advantage of newer technology and techniques, but I think it was a mistake to take the Deferred Shading option out of the settings menu.

My main gripe with the Beta, though, is the default position in the cockpit in VR. Now they have you sitting way too far back from the panel and HUD. So far back that its extremely difficult to keep the stick within reach so I can hit the VR re-center button I have mapped to the paddle switch once I'm finally far enough away and sitting high enough to set center at a more realistic distance and height.

Just to pre-empt any "Its a Beta!" comments, that is fully understood, and the reason for having a Beta being open to all users is so bugs can be reported and squashed more effectively. If we don't speak up about things we see and don't like, we're kind of defeating the intended purpose of an open Beta.

The really great thing about how they're approaching this now is that we can have both the Stable and the Beta installed without burning extra activations. We no longer have to worry about killing the whole thing with an update and having to wait for a fix. It lets the developers keep improving things, and lets us keep flying if they miss something. That was a brilliant idea! :pilotfly:

For the views all I did was copy my snapviews.lua from 2.5 stable and place it in the 2.5.1 directory.

To adjust your view in the cockpit use right shift+Ctrl and numpad keys 4, 6, for left right, * and / I think for forward and backwards. Save the view you want with right Ctrl+shift numpad 0.

Thanks for the info sze5003! :D I was trying to find info on how to manually adjust the VR position, because I remember seeing that somewhere. Now I don't have to keep looking. Thank you, sir!

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I have a huge performance boost in a way most of you may already be aware of. Normally, when I start on a new map, I create a startup mission file with a lot of static airplanes on the different airfields. I then use that file as a base to create my actual missions in SP. I did not realize those static objects effects the fps so much. So reducing the number of objects increased my fps tremendously. Even in NTTR map. Nellis was the worse where I was dipping into the high teens & low 20s, but now I'm not seeing anything under 45.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Wooooow just bought an RX 580 8 GB, these are my results (caucasus)...

in singleplayer I only get 17-23 fps when I start "M2000 missile combat", in multiplayer 14-17 fps on ramp (when M2000 warmed up) and 12 fps flying Mach 1 low over Krasnodar, using the settings you see in the 2 screenshots here

https://s9.postimg.cc/7ib50ot7j/Screen_180515_020339.png

https://s9.postimg.cc/gdbzbc019/Screen_180515_020851.png

Terrible. Needs optimization ASAP (or Vulkan API).

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

^^ this

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals