Sizable performance drop, 2.5.1

I have a high-end system (5.3ghz 8700k, 32gb ddr4, 1080 Ti SC). With 1.5.8 and 2.5, I had a solid 60 FPS under any circumstance. With the locked-in deferred shading, MSAA has been cut in half from 8 to 4 (lots of jaggies) ???? and my FPS has dropped 10-15. Not smooth, stutters, messy performance.

The shadows look sooooo bad I had to turn them off. They went from awesome immersion in earlier 1.5 versions, to being an annoying distraction in 2.5 through 2.5.1. Not sure the reason, as there was a menu to select shadow options. I’d recommend putting the ‘Very high’ and ‘Ultra’ options for shadows back in. Let the individual user choose the higher quality shadows.

I don’t know what’s up with deffered shading, but at times during flight it looks like someone is shining a 3,000 lumen spotlight into the cockpit, complemented with the most overtly jagged shadows I’ve ever seen in a sim. Does not look realistic, looks messy and almost cartoonish.

One good thing...the explosions look great!

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

Have you tried clearing your shader and fxo cache folders?

How do I do that?

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

^ You go to C:\Users\[your name]\Saved games\DCS (or DCS.openbeta)\ location and delete everything from metashaders and fxo folders. It's a good habit to do so after every game update.

8x MSAA setting wasn't working anyway, as per Sideslip's observation...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=202092

...so nothing lost really.

That being said, things like oversaturated colours and gamma problems, lower cockpit shadow map resolution and performance hit when using in-game MSAA are generally "normal" since introduction of Deferred Shading in 2.1 and are here to stay unfortunately, so you either get used to them or change your flight sim platform of choice.

BTW, to make colours less washed out, you might want to experiment with gamma slider. Default value is absurd, drop it to 1.5-1.8 to get more reasonable look.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Forgot the awesome tracers!!.

For the lighting, try putting some clouds in the sky it seems to cut it down a little. And try the gamma if not already.

But even with these fixes it does seem like a lot of surfaces have lost their definition because of reflection or something. Its hard to explain.

I have a high-end system (5.3ghz 8700k, 32gb ddr4, 1080 Ti SC). With 1.5.8 and 2.5, I had a solid 60 FPS under any circumstance. With the locked-in deferred shading, MSAA has been cut in half from 8 to 4 (lots of jaggies) ???? and my FPS has dropped 10-15. Not smooth, stutters, messy performance.

The shadows look sooooo bad I had to turn them off. They went from awesome immersion in earlier 1.5 versions, to being an annoying distraction in 2.5 through 2.5.1. Not sure the reason, as there was a menu to select shadow options. I’d recommend putting the ‘Very high’ and ‘Ultra’ options for shadows back in. Let the individual user choose the higher quality shadows.

I don’t know what’s up with deffered shading, but at times during flight it looks like someone is shining a 3,000 lumen spotlight into the cockpit, complemented with the most overtly jagged shadows I’ve ever seen in a sim. Does not look realistic, looks messy and almost cartoonish.

+1

I 'am facing the same issues with an i7 7700k@5.0 ghz + 32gb ddr4 3200mhz + 1080ti + 500gb SSD.

Before the latest patch I had costant 60fps in any circumstances, now it drops to 40-45....

What computer do we need to run DCS smoothly??

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

WOPR.jpg

WOPR.thumb.jpg.936e4dca4f2909bf686c160249792ed8.jpg

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

Weird thing; when I run on the VR preset everything is smooth.

But when I change shadows from medium to flat... I got stutters, lower framerates.noexpression.gif I thougt that shadows on flat was less demanding.

Overal poor VR performance for my rig that runs great without issues.

Asus Maximus Formula V, i7-2600k, 16gb DDR3 1866mhz, Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, HTC VIVE, Windows 7 Ultimate

On VR preset I can not adjust PD higher than 1.2 or it will stutter even more..

With these settings I can not feel/see any difference between 2.5 and 2.5.1

Tested on empty mission with M2000 @Caucasus.

Edited by BrainFart0

[ i7 8700K@5Ghz (LC) - GTX 1080 TI (LC) - 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 - Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming K3 - Samsung 970 PRO NVME SSD - LG 34" Ultra Wide - HTC Vive - Virpil MongoosT-50/WarBRD Base ]