Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

Maybe don’t make units spawn when we cap a FARP, that would bring more challenge, deploying defenses for the captured farp and it would avoid the respawn and recapture problem on them, the mission last 10h, 15min to deploy farp units to protect them is totally worth it :smilewink:

Good suggestion. Won't solve the problem though as the FARP will switch back and forth to being Red then blue then Red etc.

I've changed some lines in the .lua script. Hope it will fix it this time and then I could implement your idea at some point to make the mission more dynamic. I'll need to run some tests first.

By the way, I looked up some data regarding the BMP-2 and its armour and talked to Shadow TK (Combined Arms expert) about it. Turns out 50. cal rounds can penetrate through and cause some damage. I don't think they should explode after being hit by 20-30 rounds but certainly they can kill the crew.

You were right. I was wrong. So go ahead and spam Avengers around Red FARP's if you want :smilewink:

S!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Server News:

Operation Hold The Line:

- The bug should be fixed now or so I hope. Ran multiple tests and the mission was bug free. We'll see how it goes tonight.

- MiG-29A's and M-2000C's have been removed.

Operation Two Towns:

- Artillery and attacking units for both sides received optimised advanced options.

- More options for Combined Arms operators (check out the briefing).

Operation The Desert Has Eyes:

- The bug not allowing the server to rotate if a coalition wins - fixed.

Note:

... Lots of reports as of late. Over 50 posts the other day! You people are killing me :smilewink:

I'm aware of the fact that Su-25's are defenseless without R-60M's. Every time in the past when the weapons' restrictions were on, Su-25 pilots stepped down shaking their heads. I get it. And I understand that. If only I could enable missiles for certain airplanes. Hope ED enables such option one day. Therefore, I'll try and find some isolated but not too far away airbases for Su-25's in missions where that's possible if at all and give them some AA missiles. This doesn't mean that Su-25's should then be misused as fighters carrying 2 x R-60M's only which would make them a capable opponent for Blue airplanes. Also, I'm aware of the fact that some A-10 pilots carry only AA missiles for the same reason. Replay files did show such behaviour as of late, especially since the weapons' restrictions were initiated.

Obviously, no one's breaking any rules here. And why not test out a plane and push it to the limits. However, when such behaviour becomes routine and strikers start flying CAP or sweep missions very often, then it's just contradicting what I had in mind when I first thought about hosting a server. I do my best to avoid having airquakes which you can have on many other servers where airquakes are appreciated, but at the end of the day it's up to the players to adapt or start their own thing using this server as their stage. So pretty please, read the briefings, understand what you're doing, get on comms, coordinate your attacks and THAT is what I'm trying to achieve here. So again, either you adapt or you don't. Up to you. We either end up having airquakes mainly or experience the currently available 25 different scenarios in 25 missions. I hope it's the latter :thumbup:

Edited by Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Truth be told the missions are a lot more fun when you also do the A2G objectives, but there does appear to be some who only come for the A2A and then also some who only seem to play when reward Mirage/MiG29 aircraft are available :/

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

Truth be told the missions are a lot more fun when you also do the A2G objectives, but there does appear to be some who only come for the A2A and then also some who only seem to play when reward Mirage/MiG29 aircraft are available :/

Good point, I’m glad that Alpenwolf took away the 2000 and 29 from the Hold The Line mission. I would prefer them not to be part of any of the missions.

The future Mig23 and F14A(no phoenixes) will be more suitable for this era.

Edited by NELLUS

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is this only playable on servers or are any of the missions downloadable for single player against computer?

The missions are for multiplayer purposes. There would be no fun in flying them as single player.

You're the first to ever ask this :)

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Is it possible to even the rotation between the maps? Sometimes 12 hr long missions rotate to another 10 hr mission and all on persian golf.

Cheers.

I try that but missions are constantly taken out of the rotation and replaced by other missions. Whether it's due to bugs in the mission or just because it's about time to do so.

I feel you, buddy. But maps like the Persian Gulf or Syria are going to be the future. Most missions I have are in the Caucasus already (19 in total out of 25). Many of those missions are very old and require some reworking which I'm doing when time allows it.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

Operation Hold The Line is fixed again. This time around I added more conditions for capturing a FARP. This should prevent the FARP from switching coalitions back and forth on its own. As for the players, nothing changes; Destroy the enemy's ground units around that FARP and have at least one friendly ground unit moving in to capture it.

The changes are only in the script, NOT in carrying out the objective for the players.

I will have my computer running some tests for several hours while I'm at work, before I put the mission back online.

Give me a day or two, please.

S!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

Obviously, no one's breaking any rules here. And why not test out a plane and push it to the limits. However, when such behaviour becomes routine and strikers start flying CAP or sweep missions very often, then it's just contradicting what I had in mind when I first thought about hosting a server. I do my best to avoid having airquakes which you can have on many other servers where airquakes are appreciated, but at the end of the day it's up to the players to adapt or start their own thing using this server as their stage. So pretty please, read the briefings, understand what you're doing, get on comms, coordinate your attacks and THAT is what I'm trying to achieve here. So again, either you adapt or you don't. Up to you. We either end up having airquakes mainly or experience the currently available 25 different scenarios in 25 missions. I hope it's the latter :thumbup:

Nothing to add. It’s great to look for new tricks but in the long run it’s great you always aim for a immersive battlefield

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant

Server News:

I'm aware of the fact that Su-25's are defenseless without R-60M's. Every time in the past when the weapons' restrictions were on, Su-25 pilots stepped down shaking their heads. I get it. And I understand that. If only I could enable missiles for certain airplanes. Hope ED enables such option one day. Therefore, I'll try and find some isolated but not too far away airbases for Su-25's in missions where that's possible if at all and give them some AA missiles. This doesn't mean that Su-25's should then be misused as fighters carrying 2 x R-60M's only which would make them a capable opponent for Blue airplanes. Also, I'm aware of the fact that some A-10 pilots carry only AA missiles for the same reason. Replay files did show such behaviour as of late, especially since the weapons' restrictions were initiated.

Unfortunately we have situations where MiG21s are entering the fight in Fight Island with R60m as they are flying across to Su25 base to collect them :(

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

Reminder you have AIM-9P and magical 24J

Reminder that the Aim9p and 24j are not frontal aspect, unlike the R60m and R3R :smilewink:

Only 8 x R-60M's are available at Havadarya for the first 4 x Su-25's to take to the skies as they are quite defenceless. I did say some days ago that I'm going to try and figure out something for the Su-25's. And I know in Fight Island the two Red airbases are close from one another which is why I gave the Su-25's laughable 8 x R-60M's only to see how things go. If some MiG-21 pilots steel those from their Su-25's it's on them for discouraging Su-25 pilots even more to perform CAS. Probably one MiG-21 took 6 missiles and got a kill or two. He shouldn't do it and no one except for the Su-25's and maybe the L-39's. Which is why only they both spawn at Havadarya airbase. That's it. What's the big deal.

With the R3S and the R-13M1 missiles are as bad as it can get since the last update I don't see any reports in that regard or requests to go back to enabling all missiles to balance the odds. Instead this here and a pm already with tacview files showing me the R-60M's on Fight Island demanding to fix the "bug".

How about I take all R-24J missiles out and restrict Viggens to AG and anti-ship tasking keeping R-24's for self-defence purposes only? I mean, that's what it's for after all. Instead, more Viggens in many missions were added and more AA missiles for them as requested by some players and I gave them that. No problem. I see people are having fun with it (often on the cost of the patience of many Red pilots) and I've been very generous here trying to give people what they want while keeping things on an even keel between fun and realising the various missions' scenarios I have.

I stretch out my hand and only after a while my whole arm is gone as it's been like that ever since I started this Cold War stuff. Nothing new to me here. Lots of wishes on both sides, I have my own and the missions require some dedication. Keeping all that in good order is what I've been trying to do ever since.

So I say it again. It's really up to the players what changes take place, when, how and why. YOU guys decide. And I merely try to tend to it within the boundaries I have in mind.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

As an idea:

Maybe a zone around the base where a 21 player going below 1kn is removed from his slot could work? As he would be landed already anyway it wouldn't be too terrible, he'd just have to reslot and take off from his original base.

I thought about it. however, this would limit Red pilots to certain airbases, especially tactic wise.

If only ED would give the mission editor the option of limiting some missile types to certain airplane. I don't even know if they're working on it or not which would be very satisfying to know.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I thought about it. however, this would limit Red pilots to certain airbases, especially tactic wise.

If only ED would give the mission editor the option of limiting some missile types to certain airplane. I don't even know if they're working on it or not which would be very satisfying to know.

Maybe there is a way to place the L39’s and the SU25’s on a road base, just like you did with the L39’s on the ‘catch me if you can’ mission. I have seen a few highways around on the mainland.

They only have to takeoff and keep the R60M’s on until they run into trouble.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

With the R3S and the R-13M1 missiles are as bad as it can get since the last update I don't see any reports in that regard or requests to go back to enabling all missiles to balance the odds. Instead this here and a pm already with tacview files showing me the R-60M's on Fight Island demanding to fix the "bug".

How about I take all R-24J missiles out and restrict Viggens to AG and anti-ship tasking keeping R-24's for self-defence purposes only? I mean, that's what it's for after all. Instead, more Viggens in many missions were added and more AA missiles for them as requested by some players and I gave them that.

Certain blue pilots complaining about RED pilots, said something about sucking it up by RED and stop complaining. And here we are, with more complains from the same guys.

I think yesterday event has shown perfectly what massive difference does make R-60M for 21. R-3S represents in reality and should in DCS a level of improved AIM-9B (which no F-5E ever carries), R-13M is nothing more than AIM-9D, which is far less than AIM-9P / Rb-24J but is not present in DCS at all. So we have to make do. And Alpen stretches his hands as much as he can :)

We will see what can be done about R-3S and R-13M performance, since they are mixed right now (one performs the way the other should and vice versa) and I have reported it to Devs.

But I have yet to see those Viggens do air to ground. I mean, how could they when they load themselves with Rb-24 exclusively :megalol:

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Certain blue pilots complaining about RED pilots, said something about sucking it up by RED and stop complaining. And here we are, with more complains from the same guys.

I think yesterday event has shown perfectly what massive difference does make R-60M for 21. R-3S represents in reality and should in DCS a level of improved AIM-9B (which no F-5E ever carries), R-13M is nothing more than AIM-9D, which is far less than AIM-9P / Rb-24J but is not present in DCS at all. So we have to make do. And Alpen stretches his hands as much as he can :)

We will see what can be done about R-3S and R-13M performance, since they are mixed right now (one performs the way the other should and vice versa) and I have reported it to Devs.

But I have yet to see those Viggens do air to ground. I mean, how could they when they load themselves with Rb-24 exclusively :megalol:

This guy is comparing an all aspect missile to the rest of the rear aspect ones. Good going..

The R60M’s were aimed to help the SU25 out, incase you missed it.

You also keep forgetting that the 21 has the only radar lock-on all aspect missile (R-3R) on the cold war server.

The Viggens are doing both Air to Ground and Air to Air work incase you have missed that. Ever wondered what fast mover keeps taking out the secondary runways, carpet bombs or rocket strikes the Farp’s, Gun Pod cutting the Mi8’s and KA50’s in half, Maveric strikes long range SAM’s and RB05 the Ships? All of these weapons take 2-4 pylons which leaves only 2-4 pylons for Air to Air missiles.

Please get your ducks in a row.

Edited by NELLUS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There you go, been carrying multirole all day today. Mavs, rockets, bombs, all good fun and progresses the mission.

unknown.png

Can you confirm the damage modelling on the MiG21 extends to flap overspeed situations? Suspect we're seeing some MiG21 pilots using flaps and airbrakes to slow down rapidly from high speeds.

• ED Translators

Again I want to remind about useless baseless discussions, and again I want to stress the importance of data and doing something but just speaking.

This little research took 30 minutes:

What I did. I took a tacview from fight island. This is 4 hour tacview.

Then I exported events log into xls. And opened it and filtered two events: "HasBeenHitBy" (which logs event when someone got hit by a weapon). And "HasFired" (which logs event when weapon was launched).

I've filtered all air to air missile shots and calculated their hit rate percentage. (means we know how many were launched and how many had hit event).

Results are:

RED side 22 hits R-13M 22 hits R-3S 2 hits R-60M 46 hits overall (118 launches)

BLUE side 40 hits RB-24J 23 hits AIM-9P 63 hits overall (120 launches)

Results per missile:

R-3S (same name in tacview) 65 launches, 22 hits - 34% hit rate

R-13M (R-3 in tacview) 53 launches, 22 hits - 41% hit rate

AIM-9P (same name in tacview) 48 Launches, 23 hits - 48% hit rate

RB-24J (ROBOT in tacview) 72 Launches, 40 hits - 55.5% hit rate

From this raw data we can see how many missiles were used, what is most popular missile in mission etc.

I think 8x R-60Ms somewhere on another airfield is just small fraction of whole picture.

Here is archive with tacview file and excel file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1os05FSQMgihnk08mekfDlQfmSUuGqXZP/view?usp=sharing

edit: R-3R is treated by tacview as R-3 (just like R-13M). So R-13M above shows combined R-13M+R-3R stats

Edited by P61

AKA LazzySeal

• ED Team
This guy is comparing an all aspect missile to the rest of the rear aspect ones. Good going..

The R60M’s were aimed to help the SU25 out, incase you missed it.

You also keep forgetting that the 21 has the only radar lock-on all aspect missile (R-3R) on the cold war server.

The Viggens are doing both Air to Ground and Air to Air work incase you have missed that. Ever wondered what fast mover keeps taking out the secondary runways, carpet bombs or rocket strikes the Farp’s, Gun Pod cutting the Mi8’s and KA50’s in half, Maveric strikes long range SAM’s and RB05 the Ships? All of these weapons take 2-4 pylons which leaves only 2-4 pylons for Air to Air missiles.

Please get your ducks in a row.

R-3R is a no-aspect missile, it's an AIM-9B with a shitty SAHR seeker. 99% of the time you can't even get a lock with your radar in the first place at the altitudes we fight at, rendering R-3Rs into ballast. The only hit I ever got was against an F-5 flying straight at me at high altitude, with no regards for what was happening around him.

And AIM-9P not being all aspect (at least on paper) means nothing when you look at the kill rates. The performance of the RB-24J as it's depicted in DCS matches an R-73, only its seeker is inferior. It's been shown, with proof, and all you have to show on your end is insults. Those are a bannable offence on this forum btw.

Edited by m4ti140

We have been laughing at the Red pilots that frequently fire their air to air missiles in a head to head merge, hoping for that all aspect hit that they were used to before.

Seriously, no wonder the stats look like that when, even the experienced Red simulator enthusiasts, fire in that kind of angle.

Keep it cool and wait for the right moment, that’s at least what we teach in the Devils.

There is one aviator that we dont laugh at and that is SAS6007, his R-3R are frikken deadly.

Have a chat with him.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
We have been laughing at the Red pilots that frequently fire their air to air missiles in a head to head merge, hoping for that all aspect hit that they were used to before.

Seriously, no wonder the stats look like that when, even the experienced Red simulator enthusiasts, fire in that kind of angle.

Keep it cool and wait for the right moment, that’s at least what we teach in the Devils.

There is one aviator that we dont laugh at and that is SAS6007, his R-3R are frikken deadly.

Have a chat with him.

I don't think you have even the slightest idea how the weapon system works in MiG-21. You're simply lying. This discussion is pointless.