Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

HT to Variable for doing a great job in his first time as GCI.

I never had such a successful sortie before on the server!

Who was your GCI? What mission?

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Who was your GCI? What mission?

Supervision. The traffic are increasing now on the server. We were 20 ppl before i had to go RTB. (Return to bed)

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

Good to hear. Wait for the F-14 to kill the hype though. To sort of finish what the F-18 has started :smilewink:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Are there any pointers for those who might want to give it a try sometime?

My personal experience with the AI rooskie AWACS is that they pretty much actively try to get me killed, so that's probably easy to beat. But then I think other people might have a higher standard to that.

Are there any pointers for those who might want to give it a try sometime?

My personal experience with the AI rooskie AWACS is that they pretty much actively try to get me killed, so that's probably easy to beat. But then I think other people might have a higher standard to that.

Just enter the server, and if there are enough players, let them know in the chat window that you're doing GCI. You'll have at least 2-3 players who'd appreciate that.

AI AWACS is not accurate, that's true. But it's programmed to be so, or so I believe. The second it calls "merged" for example, the bandit will still be about 3 km away from you (mostly on your 12). Instead of pulling an immediate tight turn trying to spot the bandit expectedly on your 6, which it's not, keep flying straight and try to spot the bandit within the next 3-4 seconds checking the forward hemisphere of your clock between 9 and 3 o'clock. If you fail to spot him, pull on your stick, make the turn and now expect the bandit to be your 6 or close to that.

The AI AWACS is not programmed to call a merge right on the spot, because it might be too late, especially if the bandit has spotted you already and has started turning around. Besides, we don't all speak Russian, so we'd need to actually read what the AWACS operator is saying. Even the English speaking AWACS needs 2-5 seconds to give you bearings. So by the time that's done or you're done reading, and in the case of a merge, the merge will already have taken place. Hence the delibrate early call to kinda compensate that. The thing is, many of us don't need seconds to react to the AWACS calls. A glimpse suffices thoroughly and that's mostly less than 0.5 seconds. Me persoanlly, I don't speak Russian (will change that soon hopefully :)) and I don't know what "merge" means in Russian. But I've heard that word thousands of times already and therefore can react to the sound of it. Besides, the AWACS message "merged" is quite a short one. So even without taking my eyes off of scanning the area and turn my gaze upwards and to the left to have that glimpse on the message, I can still see how short that message is poping up on the edge of my visual range, knowing I'm in tourble.

I think, most people just panic when they hear/read the message "merged" and turn immediately or even start dispensing flares. We've all been there. That's just being called a rookie :smilewink:

EDIT:

Most of what I've written above is based on tests I ran relying on tacview, but also assumptions of my own.

Edited by Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I think the server crashed

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

AI AWACS is not accurate, that's true. But it's programmed to be so, or so I believe. The second it calls "merged" for example, the bandit will still be about 3 km away from you (mostly on your 12). Instead of pulling an immediate tight turn trying to spot the bandit expectedly on your 6, which it's not, keep flying straight and try to spot the bandit within the next 3-4 seconds checking the forward hemisphere of your clock between 9 and 3 o'clock. If you fail to spot him, pull on your stick, make the turn and now expect the bandit to be your 6 or close to that.

The AI AWACS is not programmed to call a merge right on the spot, because it might be too late, especially if the bandit has spotted you already and has started turning around. Besides, we don't all speak Russian, so we'd need to actually read what the AWACS operator is saying. Even the English speaking AWACS needs 2-5 seconds to give you bearings. So by the time that's done or you're done reading, and in the case of a merge, the merge will already have taken place. Hence the delibrate early call to kinda compensate that. The thing is, many of us don't need seconds to react to the AWACS calls. A glimpse suffices thoroughly and that's mostly less than 0.5 seconds. Me persoanlly, I don't speak Russian (will change that soon hopefully :)) and I don't know what "merge" means in Russian. But I've heard that word thousands of times already and therefore can react to the sound of it. Besides, the AWACS message "merged" is quite a short one. So even without taking my eyes off of scanning the area and turn my gaze upwards and to the left to have that glimpse on the message, I can still see how short that message is poping up on the edge of my visual range, knowing I'm in tourble.

I think, most people just panic when they hear/read the message "merged" and turn immediately or even start dispensing flares. We've all been there. That's just being called a rookie :smilewink:

Well, maybe it's just my luck, especially since I don't spend so much time on the server at all, but my AI AWACS experience, especially on the Red side goes something like this:

'Pop up, 120 for 200, flanking.' - 'Pop up, 127 for 190, hot.' - 'Pop up, 120 for 230, hot.' - 'Merged!'

And that generally leaves me yelling out a word not fit for good company and absolutely no idea where that sudden merge even came from, because that stupid controller won't ever shut up about flights that are on the other side of the operation theatre until he's suddenly: 'Oh, yea, and also one contact right behind you, if you care.' I literally hate that guy by now.

Well, maybe it's just my luck, especially since I don't spend so much time on the server at all, but my AI AWACS experience, especially on the Red side goes something like this:

'Pop up, 120 for 200, flanking.' - 'Pop up, 127 for 190, hot.' - 'Pop up, 120 for 230, hot.' - 'Merged!'

And that generally leaves me yelling out a word not fit for good company and absolutely no idea where that sudden merge even came from, because that stupid controller won't ever shut up about flights that are on the other side of the operation theatre until he's suddenly: 'Oh, yea, and also one contact right behind you, if you care.' I literally hate that guy by now.

You're right about that too. That's why I rely on myself only all I can, while using AWACS as a nice extra to have, but don't get all bothered if it's useless. ED is working on a better AWACS already.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Mission Five Point seem to be bugged, blue team cant arm their planes.

Mission Five Point seem to be bugged, blue team cant arm their planes.

All Blue planes can't rearm? Both Anapa and Novorossiysk? Red can?

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

All Blue planes can't rearm? Both Anapa and Novorossiysk? Red can?

Anapa is neutral.

Krymsk and Novorossiysk the ground crew were firing at me (blue)

Anapa is neutral.

Krymsk and Novorossiysk the ground crew were firing at me (blue)

Anapa is Blue. Krymsk is neutral.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Another player in the Viggen said he was able to contact ground crew but couldn't hear AWACS.

i7 7700k, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080, 500 GB NVMe m.2 SSD, Trackir 3 Pro, Gunfighter Mk I w/MCG; Mod. TM Cougar throttle and Mod. CH Pro Pedals w/Pro Micro + MMjoy2, Nostromo n52