Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

I didn't argue against air superiority or flying fighters. I wish a fighter had been there to get that MiG-21 before it killed me in my Huey above one of our own bases yesterday. I'm arguing for more coordination. As you've said, there are many roles this server offers, actually requires, in order to win the missions.

I saw that kill! Let me tell you what happened:

The mission had just started, so most Red pilots grabbed a MiG and went out to bullseye. We only had 1 Mi-8 tasked for capturing bases. Turned out Blue had the same idea and were able to push us back. The Mi-8 started calling for help (all that on SRS - not saying everyone was on SRS, but some were). I then grabbed a GCI slot and the rest was history. From that moment I was able to get the Mi-8 out of there and have some fighters fight off any threats until the Mi-8 got to his destination. Within minutes we gained air superiority and pushed the enemy all the way back to his base! Surely it wasn't fun for blue, but one guy should've grabbed a GCI slot at that moment which is what I try to encourage over and over again. I had 6-8 pilots on SRS and they were very dedicated doing exactly what I told them without complaining. That's the beauty in GCI and also a lot of fun is involved when something comes out of it. If only people knew :smilewink:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Ha, that's interesting. So did you actually guide the MiG to intercept me?

Well, I have to admit, I was a little careless at that moment. I had been flying for some time already, bringing crates to various bases, and at that point I was too complacent moving over friendly territory, flying a little too high and not looking for terrain-masking. And 'bang', I was instantly punished for that.

A thought I shared with another Huey pilot on SRS yesterday: Maybe the mission objectives are too many to fullfill. With the present player preferences (the F-5 vs. MiG-21 melee) it's almost impossible for us few chopper guys to win the missions. How do you feel about reducing them by half?

Edited by Pilot Ike

Ha, that's interesting. So did you actually guide the MiG to intercept me?

Well, I have to admit, I was a little careless at that moment. I had been flying for some time already, bringing crates to various bases, and at that point I was too complacent moving over friendly territory, flying a little too high and not looking for terrain-masking. And 'bang', I was instantly punished for that.

A thought I shared with another Huey pilot on SRS yesterday: Maybe the mission objectives are too many to fullfill. With the present player preferences (the F-5 vs. MiG-21 melee) it's almost impossible for us few chopper guys to win the missions. How do you feel about reducing them by half?

You only popped up on my radar after that MiG-21 flew above you. When I gave him the call, he told me he sees you, but it's an Mi-8. I corrected him and the rest was him shooting you down. I fly the Mi-8 quite often so I feel for you brother, but I had to do my job.

Red has managed to finish Once Upon a Time in Abu Dhabi several times. Five Points Unleashed at least 1 time. Battle Over Sukhumi is simply a tougher mission which is why it runs for 10 hours. Not saying it ain't doable, but requires more dedication than the other two. Which leads to more and more players dedicating themselves to flying helicopters more than in all the other missions. If I'd start making things easier you'd see less helicopter activity. I've been doing this for years so I base my knowledge or claim on long time experience. And always open for criticism and feedback which have helped me quite often.

The new mission, Search & Destroy has less planes by the way and more helicopters than the usual. I put in online yesterday for 2 minutes and had to take it out immediately due to some weird script behaviour.

I'll fix it during the day and put it back online tonight after the Combined Arms tournamnet -> https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=269040

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

I fully agree with the choice of taking away AWACS, makes perfect sense.

EWR’s inserted by hilo’s at recently taken objectives makes even more sense.. Fixed wing will be forced to gather at one specific area at a time due to the reduction of Awacs free flight model, where everyone are on their own mission.

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree with 59th Alpha - no Awacs will ensure our comms and nav are spot on and we coordinate as a team. This helps eliminate the air quake.

It doesn’t take a lot of light research to uncover that in Vietnam pilots were lucky if they had AWCS every day.

In fact I’ve got a book about Corsair pilots and sometimes when Awacs and GCI wasn’t available all they had was a stopwatch, a pencil and local hiking maps when the mil maps weren’t always available.

Count ourselves lucky and let’s use this mission to worker tighter and better together.

Keep it coming Alpenwolf you’re creating some great stuff.

Crumble - Devils 666 Squad

You only popped up on my radar after that MiG-21 flew above you. When I gave him the call, he told me he sees you, but it's an Mi-8. I corrected him and the rest was him shooting you down. I fly the Mi-8 quite often so I feel for you brother, but I had to do my job.

No hard feelings, that's the game. It's war after all :thumbup:

If I'd start making things easier you'd see less helicopter activity. I've been doing this for years so I base my knowledge or claim on long time experience. And always open for criticism and feedback which have helped me quite often.

Thank you, I think your server is the best out there. It's great that we can offer constructive feedback.

It is my impression that most of the lone fighters simply do not care for mission objectives. They just want an arena with a planeset that suits their interests, where they can dogfight forever, of course garnered with some AAA and SAMs to spice up the experience and some juicy, easy targets like choppers or strikers.

That said, I don't think that making mission goals easier or more difficult has any influence on those people flying the planes they want in the way they want. Taking away the AI AWACS is one big step into the right direction though, because now they really only have Eyeball Mk.I to detect enemies, which might be too tedious for them.

From my point of view as a chopper guy (atm), when I come on the server and there's a mission on that lasts for six hours (with respective mission goals that really take some time to achieve them all) with like two hours left upon joining and no mission goals being pushed forward so far, there's no chance I can influence the mission anymore.

Taking away fighter slots or making them available on conditions and adding more striker slots also is a great thing, I think.

On the other hand though, a server also lives by high player numbers in the lobby, that attracts even more players. Maybe scaring away those many loner fighter guys ends up being a shot in the knee...

We'll see, I guess.

The last 3 missions added to the server include many of the points mentioned above. For instance; You want to fly the MiG-29A or the M-2000C? Fine. Then go ahead and sling load a cargo from point A and take it to point B to activate these planes.

These missions run for 8-10 hours. You want them to end quickly? Stick to the objectives.

In operation Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed, the number of the airplanes at mission's start is very limited. And quite often you see players flying their Mi-8's/UH-1's like never before.

This type of scenario for these missions (capture and hold airdromes/FARP's) is what I'm aiming at for future missions. This is what gets players to contemplate flying their helicopters from time to time and actually consider cooperating with others. And you see that happening in those 3 missions more than in the other 18.

Limiting lives is something I considered quite often but never pulled the trigger on. I need to check out the script first.

The mission I'm working on right now (almost ready) doesn't have AWACS planes for either side. Only 2 EWR units. You know, break the routine as I always say. You want a clearer picture? Deploy EWR units using your Mi-8/UH-1. Only 8 MiG-21's/F-5's and less than that for other planes are available. However, each side will have 8-10 helicopters of different types. The mission will run for 6 hours in the PG map and that's enough now for a quick teaser :smilewink:

I really appreciate this shifted in mission design! It makes for much more intersting missions that offer more than just the old boring airquake! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The new mission Search & Destroy is currently online for testing. so far so good, no bugs or anything. I will put it again online tonight after the tournament's over for more players to enjoy. Or not enjoy, who knows :smilewink:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Mr Aplenwolf, search and destroy mission seems to have the same broken script with the neverending message of captured towns and stuff, could you please change the mission?? please,.

The alternating messages kept coming that Blue and Red holds Shahid Lake, neverending. I checked the Tacview and it started after Red had destroyed all the Blue ground units there, but before Red could move units there to capture it. So the bug might have something to do with both sides having no ground units in the area.

Edited by Brown Floyd

Mission is out for a while. Needs some fixing. Thanks for testing and reporting :thumbup:

T-72 tanks are a PITA. Got killed in a Gazelle twice by them today at Fasa, first time from a range of 3.1km, second time range 3.8km. Their missiles are absolutely deadly. And they always hit me when I was scanning for targets or actually attacking them with Viviane sight, so I never saw it coming. Multicrew for a second pair of eyes is really needed!

Tacview shows there were some strikers on both sides. None of them attacked Fasa though, tough luck for me.

Edited by Pilot Ike

Great mission tonight!!

We loved it, especially the non-awacs part.

It made it more realistic and intense, never really knowing where the enemy was.

Thank you as well for the SU25’s and the R60M’s, we had a great time pounding the ground targets.

I have been helping out on the Blue side the last weeks when the red side is overwhelming. Been taking out the Harrier at every chance that I get, since it is my favorite blue striker, and cleaning out the target areas of long range hazards for the Hilos. Been keeping the line open with the Huyes and Gazelles on SRS which was greatly appreciated by them. So much so that we spend chatting away when landed at their FARP after I loaded up with a pair of Zunis.

My request is to put 2 Harrier per mission, just so that we can work hand in hand with the Hilos. The Harrier really sucks in air to air, but does as good job as the SU25 ground pounding.

Thanks for listening,

[Devils] NELLUS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Harrier is only included in some missions (old missions only) because back then we had less modules on both sides than today. It's kept there still until the F-4 arrives so that Harrier pilots can have some fun with it. Same with the Su-25T. It's kept in some missions until we maybe one day (and I'm wishing for this so hard) the Su-17 and/or the MiG-27.

The more modules and options the more I can have better suited scenarios with the elements at hand.

I've had many complaints back in the day about the Harrier having all the sophisticated systems onboard which makes it more capable. Besides it's a late 90's aircraft so doesn't really fit in the scenarios of the missions.

Let's not start this discussion again, please.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

The mission Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed doesn't have any AWACS planes any more. Only 2 x EWR units for each side marked on the F-10 map for each coalition accordingly.

This should help helicopters sneak in with better coverage and maybe one day win the battle. I know it's a tough mission to win, but this could be a game changer.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

The mission Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed doesn't have any AWACS planes any more. Only 2 x EWR units for each side marked on the F-10 map for each coalition accordingly.

This should help helicopters sneak in with better coverage and maybe one day win the battle. I know it's a tough mission to win, but this could be a game changer.

Brilliant!

I honestly think this EWR approach should be implemented on all missions :thumbup:

About the Harrier, I understand. I cant wait for the Sea Harrier to arrive.. all issues will be solved then :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Surely it wasn't fun for blue, but one guy should've grabbed a GCI slot at that moment which is what I try to encourage over and over again. I had 6-8 pilots on SRS and they were very dedicated doing exactly what I told them without complaining. That's the beauty in GCI and also a lot of fun is involved when something comes out of it. If only people knew :smilewink:

I've noticed blue tend not to get a GCI unless they're about an hour or two into receiving a righteous shoeing, which is a shame, because watching things play out between both teams' GCIs is really cool. It's also a lot more fun because then they stick around and fight rather than all quitting or switching away from fighters to avoid having to deal with it.

Changing to EWR should be interesting. It might make the 4th gen slots even more useful as a kind of scuffed AWACS, rather than just pure air superiority/strike aircraft, can't wait to try it out!

I know I'm going to get crap for this but... why is this a cold war server but it lacks certain cold war planes during certain missions that take place during a certain time period?

If you're doing a 1980's mission, can't you restrict the F-14 and F/A-18 to sparrow missiles?

AV8B Night Attack was introduced in 1989 as well, still a Cold War plane if you do missions between 1989 and 1991.

I know I'm going to get crap for this but... why is this a cold war server but it lacks certain cold war planes during certain missions that take place during a certain time period?

If you're doing a 1980's mission, can't you restrict the F-14 and F/A-18 to sparrow missiles?

AV8B Night Attack was introduced in 1989 as well, still a Cold War plane if you do missions between 1989 and 1991.

Well currently both the F-14B and F/A-18C in game are too advanced for the Cold War server period. If we had a flyable F/A-18A then it would make more sense. The F-14A is on the way and that may actually get added, although there's a slim chance for that too cause it's BVR capabilities are far too OP. So maybe after a Mig-25 Foxbat gets added then we can see both in the server but until then the F-14A may not be in game

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

I have a question @Alpenwolf

Can you make a new but somewhat similar mission which is kind of Asian centric? Like South Korea as the main blue force vs China and North Korean Migs?

Also could you make a mission which requires the use of the A-4E Skyhawk mod from Hoggit dev? Skyhawk would fit perfectly in the server for cold war. Plus the A-4 would fit in both maps especially the PG map since Kuwait used them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

One major strength of this server is its fairly balanced setting without using hilarious planesets that you see on other servers for balancing reasons.

Limiting weapons currently is very difficult for mission designers, I have learned.

Also, this F/A-18C we have in the sim is by far not an 1980s aircraft avionics-wise.

I'd be ok with the Harrier for Blue, as Red has the KA-50 due to missing alternatives for the red side, but as Alpenwolf said: Let's not start this discussion again. This server is good as it is.

is there any information for Mission 19 about the logistic section on the captured airfield?

Not sure I understand what you mean, but if you press the F-10 key to view the map, you can then see which airbases are neutral, Red or Blue by clicking on them.

I have a question @Alpenwolf

Can you make a new but somewhat similar mission which is kind of Asian centric? Like South Korea as the main blue force vs China and North Korean Migs?

Also could you make a mission which requires the use of the A-4E Skyhawk mod from Hoggit dev? Skyhawk would fit perfectly in the server for cold war. Plus the A-4 would fit in both maps especially the PG map since Kuwait used them.

I remember your approach regarding the above.

The problem with mods is they force players to download them to be able to join the server as you know. So for that mission the server will be almost empty for several hours until it rotates. Can't do that. I'd upset a good number of people.

Also for Once upon a time in Abu Dhabi could you also add Saudi Arabia to blue for and switch some of the F-5s to SA faction?

Will do.

EDIT:

There have always been 2 x Saudi F-5's, buddy! You got me confused there because I was sure I had them added. Just checked and they are.

Edited by Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments