Hornet UFC (potentially)

Brun

Hi Brun, I tried downloading the Zip earlier. Everything seems fine and I viewed each 3D model in Adobe photoshop.

I sent the files for print and they say sizing is corrupted, and 4 of the files are completely corrupted?

I know nothing about 3D print files or printers or software so don't know if its something I have/ have not done?

Cheers

They're not corrupted. Some software will require them to be either imported with the scale set appropriately, or scaled up after importing.

A professional 3D printing service really shouldn't be having any issues with this.

• Like 1

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

They're not corrupted. Some software will require them to be either imported with the scale set appropriately, or scaled up after importing.

A professional 3D printing service really shouldn't be having any issues with this.

Sorted it, just to make sure I've got the scaling right, I've got the main UFC panel at 17.9x3.73x14.33cm is that correct?

Sorted it, just to make sure I've got the scaling right, I've got the main UFC panel at 17.9x3.73x14.33cm is that correct?

That looks very slightly too big. Exact sizes are as attached. Should be a factor of 10.

UFCSize.thumb.JPG.a765303a021bf11231e5f0361c1abf6d.JPG

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

• 2 weeks later...

Am i doing something wrong? when i click the link i just get a bunch of numbers not the file to print with for the HDG/CRS panel.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Right-click, save link as...

• 4 weeks later...
hi Guys
@BulkaCv I've been following your pcb layout out for a while now and have to say that it is a very nice piece of work that you have delivered. I've finished my f16 pit for a while now, but I'll build another f18 pit. would it be possible to get your pcb file for the UFC?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

Dunno why But I ran into some issues with the master arm and the hdg panel. Cura is telling me the file is corrupt. It was opening it fine with Cura 4.7 but 4.8 tells me it s a corrupt file, no matter what I do or even if I download the file again... 

the master arm file is only 470ish MB, seems small for a piece like that... 

A good soul to post them back? 

I m progressing with that build too... 

lots of fun... 

I printed it with white PLA, stick some masking paste (or even humbrol maskol) in the letters then primed/painted/coated and removed the putty.  Makes it for crisp letters and possible to backlit... 

IMG_20201219_144736.jpg

Edited by VIXEN413

Rig: MB Gigabite z390UD, CPU Intel I7 8700k, RAM 32G DDR4 3200 Gskill ripjaws, GPU MSI RTX2080SuperOC, HDD Crucial mx500 1tb M2 sata, PSU Corsair 850W, watercooling Corsair h100,

Controlers TM f/a 18 stick on Virpil warbrd base, TM cougar f16 stick on cougar base, Cougar F16 throttle on TUSBA, ch pedals, TM cougar MFD

27" monitor with trk IR 5 and HP Reverb HMD.

Modules F18, F16, F86, Mig15, FW 190D9, Nellis range map, Aggr campaign, Middle East map

1 hour ago, VIXEN413 said:

Hey guys, 

Dunno why But I ran into some issues with the master arm and the hdg panel. Cura is telling me the file is corrupt. It was opening it fine with Cura 4.7 but 4.8 tells me it s a corrupt file, no matter what I do or even if I download the file again... 

the master arm file is only 470ish MB, seems small for a piece like that... 

A good soul to post them back? 

I m progressing with that build too... 

lots of fun... 

I printed it with white PLA, stick some masking paste (or even humbrol maskol) in the letters then primed/painted/coated and removed the putty.  Makes it for crisp letters and possible to backlit... 

IMG_20201219_144736.jpg

That looks very very good sir! 

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

thanks. 

I installed another slicer that seems to accept those other panels that Cura does not want to print... 

Dunno what that was all about... 

as for the rest, it's looking good so far... 

IMG_20201220_182919.jpg

Edited by VIXEN413
  • Like 1

Rig: MB Gigabite z390UD, CPU Intel I7 8700k, RAM 32G DDR4 3200 Gskill ripjaws, GPU MSI RTX2080SuperOC, HDD Crucial mx500 1tb M2 sata, PSU Corsair 850W, watercooling Corsair h100,

Controlers TM f/a 18 stick on Virpil warbrd base, TM cougar f16 stick on cougar base, Cougar F16 throttle on TUSBA, ch pedals, TM cougar MFD

Modules F18, F16, F86, Mig15, FW 190D9, Nellis range map, Aggr campaign, Middle East map

On 12/20/2020 at 1:00 PM, VIXEN413 said:

Did you print the letters recessed or raised?
Whenever I try printing letters that small they always come out pretty crap but yours look good and readable.

Edited by Corvidae

hey there, I didnt touch the file so the letters are recessed. 

I printed that sample with  my Ender 3d

UFC face Up, 

PLA @ 200deg and bed at 55deg. 55mm/s speed

infill 100%

and a 0.12mm layer height. 

took 2 days and a few more hours on the printer. 

Side panels and Hud panel are done in 0.3mm as they will not be visible... 

U can do it at 0.2 mm layer as what matters is our last top layer that will be visible.

Cura has an option to smooth the last layer too but I didnt selected it. 

First try, I printed it face down with awefull reslults as the support contact zone where all over the visible face then.... Was a false economy of PLA and time... 

the hud face plate, I printed it differentelly and I m less hapoy with the result. I coated in black and pourred white acrylic in the letters but a lot of touchups were necessary... 

here you can see thz difference in result between face up on left and face down on right.... The later is useable but a cosmetic aberarion.... 

IMG_20201219_142952.jpg

yes, could have gone with less infill but was unsure of some overhang versus solidity of print so... 

I dont remember about the UFC file but some print shows a faster time if filled 100% in Cura instead of 50 or 60%.

I m still testing a lot of settings as I m new to printing but the parameters above made sense to me and the result is what I wanted... 😉

I m using the switches that Brun is using but I wanna tey something else too. 

found these, they are on the way:

http://www.honyone.com/en/products/show_104.html

Just might have to revise the way to fix it to the ufc casing... 

Honyone (sic) is the button brand used by Virpil too, so I have confidence in these... 

Will see. 

Edited by VIXEN413
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A penny for your thoughts...........I'm contemplating building an f18 UFC pretty much along the lines of Brun's excellent work but for desk top space reasons I'm not able to follow the 'printed route'. I have decided to use acrylic sheet approach ie top surface/labelled and back lit, with a second layer to carry the lighting solution and the switch fittings. I'm not electrically minded so if I can keep the soldering and wiring at its simplest I should be OK. I'm thinking of using the Bodnar BUO 836X board, together with any recommended switches. I'm not particularly interested in the accuracy of visual representation, much as I admire the work done by Brun and other contributors, its really a question of function rather than form. I fly the f18 within a regular online squadron, usually at very low alt, so 'head down' as little as possible. At some point I'd like to include the oled screens as well, but I'm under the impression that they would have to be 'driven' via an arduino/separate solution. One of the main attractions for this project is that I can build it in stages as my knowledge/skills improve.

So, 1) use the acrylic sheet approach as the initial build, 2) use switches and buttons as per thread suggestions, 3) initially concentrate on the construction/wiring before any 'form' considerations (this should allow me to use a thin plywood sheet for initial build), 4) suck it and see!.

If you have any thoughts regarding the Bodnar board, or a personal choice of the button/switches, or in fact anything you might find worth sharing I'd appreciate it, and finally, simplicity works really well for me.

many thanks Bob V

I got some new switches to play with. they click nicelly and audibly. they are also backlit if I want to go that route too... 

2 models present and I can easely fit the smallest one in the button openings 😉

the larger ones requires some changes in Brun's design so I ll leave them for another project... 

IMG_20210117_193015.jpg

I have entered my planning phase of building my own F/A-18C UFC and was wondering what is generally being used for segment displays.  I found these (listed below) and they are a 14 segment LED display.  Would these work and how would I get them hooked up and working?

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/chromeled/SDSCN40G2W/12819252

I will be following a lot of what is in this thread for mine.  Looking at getting my own 3D printer, suggestions?

Thanks,

Wayne

Edited by hrnet940

Wayne Wilson

AKA: hrnet940

Alienware Aurora R3, i7 3820 3.5GHz(4.2GHz setting) processor, EVGA Nvidia RTX 2070 8GB Graphics, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ejoying the UFC as a fantastic center piece in the cockpit. 

also the hdg/crs panel, the master arm panel and the hmd panel (witch is the master arm printed in reverse). 

rest of prints are from openhornet. 

glareshield is fiberglassed cardboard ready for paint. 

The UFC panel buttons need to visit the paint booth, for now it is just a quickly printed legend in it... 

IMG_20210311_115448.jpg

• Like 2

What a cool project - does anyone have an estimate on total cost to have this printed and created for me potentially? I have 0 experience in coding, printing, creating, etc and am wildly intimidated with the thought of trying to do this myself. 

5 minutes ago, CoachPurdy said:

What a cool project - does anyone have an estimate on total cost to have this printed and created for me potentially? I have 0 experience in coding, printing, creating, etc and am wildly intimidated with the thought of trying to do this myself. 

you might want to get something "off the rack" F18 Hornet UFC (Up Front Controller) USB Controller (tekcreations.space), unless you want to move out of your comfort zone (which should seriously consider!) 🙂

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg