Modular Panel WIP

Blue73

47hour print time :|, it is again max resolution due to the sloped section at the base. I don't want to have to sand any of this.

I prefer designing thick sections that hold mechanical parts, it makes the whole unit feel more solid.

oCT1Zs4.png

47hour print time :|, it is again max resolution due to the sloped section at the base. I don't want to have to sand any of this.

I prefer designing thick sections that hold mechanical parts, it makes the whole unit feel more solid.

Cura does variable layer height. Might be worth a shot to reduce the print time on the non-sloping sections.

Simply Awesome. Looking good.

I take a set :joystick::D

Anyway, great progress. Looking forward to seeing the whole thing assabmled. Almost sad that this won't be a device with working screens... That would look awesome.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Hi, Unfortunately the Zortrax printer uses their own proprietary slicer which doesn't have that feature. It would prove useful here.

Cura does variable layer height. Might be worth a shot to reduce the print time on the non-sloping sections.

Thanks Gruman :)

It would be trivial to add screens, I've left enough space for them, the trick would be finding a screen with the correct form factor. As I'm 100% VR I'll be focusing my time and energy on the input controls. Once complete, as a side project I may go back and add displays.

cheers

John

Simply Awesome. Looking good.

I take a set :joystick::D

Anyway, great progress. Looking forward to seeing the whole thing assabmled. Almost sad that this won't be a device with working screens... That would look awesome.

I wouldn't sleep, when I built my own CNC I used double sided tape to hold the acrylic, during a 2 hour cut I checked every 15 minutes, in one of the last button cut outs, happened to be whilst I was watching, the cut out piece didnt stay stuck to the tape or get flicked clear, instead it went under the router bit and screwed the part up and by the time I hit stop on the software the part was lost....

The router is now gathering dust in the garage until I get enthusiastic enough to rebuild it....

Must be very relaxing setting a program going on a decent piece of machinery and not a home built effort!

I hear you MR Burns. I too have a cnc machine, not built by me, a cheap Chinese one. The biggest killer of creativity is cheap machinery/equipment. You need to focus on design and not on fabrication. 3D printing gives you a near perfect copy of your CAD model. If the printing process is reliable and results are of good quality all your energy can focus on creativity.

I wouldn't sleep, when I built my own CNC I used double sided tape to hold the acrylic, during a 2 hour cut I checked every 15 minutes, in one of the last button cut outs, happened to be whilst I was watching, the cut out piece didnt stay stuck to the tape or get flicked clear, instead it went under the router bit and screwed the part up and by the time I hit stop on the software the part was lost....

The router is now gathering dust in the garage until I get enthusiastic enough to rebuild it....

Must be very relaxing setting a program going on a decent piece of machinery and not a home built effort!

The print has completed and all components mounted. Now need to print the buttons, knobs and display place-holders.

Nk8AkVa.jpghttp:I08ELUA.jpg

vrC0MkM.jpg

Front plate temporarily fitted.

gH9DuKS.jpg

cheers

John

Edited by Blue73

There is alot of great ideas, plans, simpits and such on this forum, but this always amazes me.

Exellent designs, with the thought of 3d printing, fantastic results aswell.

This is why I bought a 3d printer back in 2012, this is what I always wanted to do with it, but couldn't accomplish myself!

Incredible and fantastic work!

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Lobinjaevel, I appreciate your comments!

Fusion360 + 3D Printer, there is almost no limit to what you can do. If it looks good in CAD, and you know your printers strengths and weaknesses, the first print will also be good and you can move onto designing something else.

There is alot of great ideas, plans, simpits and such on this forum, but this always amazes me.

Exellent designs, with the thought of 3d printing, fantastic results aswell.

This is why I bought a 3d printer back in 2012, this is what I always wanted to do with it, but couldn't accomplish myself!

Incredible and fantastic work!

Thanks for sharing!

Hi All,

This is a partial update as I continue to build the UFC. I'm reprinting the front plate, the round buttons looked too small, I've sized them up by 1mm. The keypad square buttons are okay though.

Vapor smoothed the sides of the buttons so they slide smoothly within the frame. Lettering is painted, again these are purposely upsized for VR.

jXifSZi.jpg

07Vwzrv.jpghttp:

Lower Electronics box, I've got covers for the sides ready to be printed. Currently printing the upper electronics box.

OugIExP.jpghttp:

Nano slave, bus transceiver and 3.3V regulator to drive all controls.

hKAsikn.jpg

cheers

John

How compact are the electronics and mechanisims? I've been thinking of making a UFC and using it as a keyboard macro for premiere and other programs so I'd want it to fit nicely next to my big ol' keyboard. I'm wondering once you release the STLs I could modify it to use tact switches instead of the push buttons to reduce it's depth in the back.

I'd also have to invert the keypad, it annoys me so much that numpads and keypads are reversed with 789 on top instead of 123

never cease to amaze, awesome work buddy cant wait to see final product!, grabbed your jettison switch so will print that shortly too :)

how are the keypad buttons held in btw?

keep it up , super high standard

59th | Casper

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Our Website | Our Facebook Page | YouTube Channel | Our Discord

System : 9900k 5ghz, 32GB 4166mhz Ram, 2080Ti, Hotas Warthog, Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswinds, VR + TrackIR, All Modules For DCS

Thanks mate :thumbup:

Let me know if you have any issues with the jettison switch.

The buttons are a pressure fit, they don't come out even if I hold it upside and try to shake them loose.

never cease to amaze, awesome work buddy cant wait to see final product!, grabbed your jettison switch so will print that shortly too :)

how are the keypad buttons held in btw?

keep it up , super high standard

Hi Tom, I'd say you could use the face plate, but you'd need to design your own mid section to mount the buttons, or could mount directly to the rear of the face plate.

How compact are the electronics and mechanisims? I've been thinking of making a UFC and using it as a keyboard macro for premiere and other programs so I'd want it to fit nicely next to my big ol' keyboard. I'm wondering once you release the STLs I could modify it to use tact switches instead of the push buttons to reduce it's depth in the back.

I'd also have to invert the keypad, it annoys me so much that numpads and keypads are reversed with 789 on top instead of 123

Was thinking about this as well.

But as "N" and "S" are tied to 2 and 8 it will look kinda odd with switched rows and I don't think that a LUA-edit could solve this issue.

Any chance for the STL file on the Hook and landing gear module? :book:

Thanks. :thumbup:

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard