Bankler's CASE 1 Recovery Trainer

Bankler

2 hours ago, tjblank1957 said:

Great piece of work, great way to build some skills! One question....How do you get the F18 to trap? Whenever I land, its always a bolter. Is there a scoring threshold or a radio call I need to make?

Regards, Tim

have you lowered the hook ?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

10 hours ago, tjblank1957 said:

Yes for sure the hook is lowered...Tim

Share a track if possible?

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

sorry that track doesn't play for me you just sits on the deck at the CAT 

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

you were at the wrong AOA through most of your landing, you only hit on speed right at the last few fractions of a second before you touch down on the deck... so it was most likely a hook skip... keep practicing you will get there, try and hold the aircraft on speed or close to it from when you drop gear and flaps 

• Like 1

your nose was porpoising quite badly during your final , i suspect you were correcting with your stick rather than with your throttle 

I think what @speed-of-heat has said is correct. It looks like you are still trying to control your pitch using the stick. You need to set your AoA with trim and use solely the throttle to control your rate of descent. You shouldn't be porposing like that, and likely the hook bounced and the AoA was wrong. Just get used to controlling your speed with your pitch (via trim) and your rate of descent (or ascent...but you shouldn't be climbing) with throttle. In a GA aircraft, this is akin to "slow flight". It's challenging, but once you get it, it will stick 👍 and you'll trap. Not sure if the attached track will play (it's quite old) but this is the general idea.

OK scratch the track...it was a 72 but on playback I'm in the sea! The joy of the track system.

Bankler-72-1.trk

Edited by zildac

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

1 hour ago, tjblank1957 said:

Oh boy, this was my bad! I didn't know I had to purchase the Super Carrier module! I did and of course now I can trap just fine! Thanks for your help....Love this this training mission!

Regards, Tim

😂😂😂😂

On a somewhat tangential but related topic, when I go to replay my saved track of a cat shot and landing, sometimes the track data ends prematurely and the plane just drops out of the sky before landing...sometimes not. Is there a way to make this work consistently such that the saved track can last the length of the whole circuit?

Regards, Tim

3 hours ago, tjblank1957 said:

On a somewhat tangential but related topic, when I go to replay my saved track of a cat shot and landing, sometimes the track data ends prematurely and the plane just drops out of the sky before landing...sometimes not. Is there a way to make this work consistently such that the saved track can last the length of the whole circuit?

Regards, Tim

Not really, tracks have never been dependable in DCS if you want an exact replay of your flight. Thing is the tracks pretty much never replicate what exactly happened, because track does not really record what happened and where the plane really was, it only records what inputs you made and it will try to replicate your flight based on the inputs alone - often failing in spectacular ways if your track is any longer than maybe a minute or so.

Edited by Grodin
  • Like 2

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

@tjblank1957

Unfortunately, tracks are not a replay system per say, (which I never quite grasped initially myself). It's actually more of a debug system for the moderators, support and developers.
Hence, that's why we have so many requests for a replay syatem.

Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

So given your statement about the track files being for more or less debug and not really a replay system....How are you making your replay videos that show the various views all the way through recovery?

Thanks, Tim
Recording from an MP server would b he my guess.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I notice in the F10 options, there is a "Case 3" option....does this work? As I waited until dark and selected it, flew 40 miles out, but did not case 3 comms from the boat? How is it supposed to work? ( if it does!) 

And if it does not work, can I make a request for it to be added? Would be awesome to be able to train and get the grades as per case 1......

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but are there plans for a Forrestal version of this mission?

• Like 1

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Random question but is there a Marianas map version of this? I love it I fly it frequently but find despite myself I'm using the mountains in the background to line up. Figure the Marianas would have proper deep water traps without the extra references. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, new personal best! 69! Next step, 70+ !!!

• Like 5

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

On 8/26/2023 at 1:25 PM, markturner1960 said:

Hi, I notice in the F10 options, there is a "Case 3" option....does this work? As I waited until dark and selected it, flew 40 miles out, but did not case 3 comms from the boat? How is it supposed to work? ( if it does!) 

And if it does not work, can I make a request for it to be added? Would be awesome to be able to train and get the grades as per case 1......

It works, but the only thing it really does is cutting out the first parts of grading, so you fly the CASE 3 approach (straight in) and it will grade you in the groove (max 33 points or so). It doesn't check anything else of the CASE 3 stuff (hold, push time, the way you descend and align with final bearing etc). It's more a "bonus feature" if you and your friends want to do a CASE 3 event, and still get some grading, for fun.

On 10/6/2023 at 2:56 AM, captain_dalan said:

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but are there plans for a Forrestal version of this mission?

No such plans. You're free to use the current versions and create on if you want though. It might be easy, but you may also run into problems depending on how different that boat happen to be in terms of height, lens position, wire positioning and so on. Might turn out to be a complete can of worms.

On 10/6/2023 at 7:52 PM, Indianajon said:

Random question but is there a Marianas map version of this? I love it I fly it frequently but find despite myself I'm using the mountains in the background to line up. Figure the Marianas would have proper deep water traps without the extra references. 

I don't do versions for other maps. But I think someone in this thread made a version like that. Don't know if it uses the latest script version or not. For the thing you want to solve, you might be able to move things around in the mission editor so you're farther away from shore. One advice is to just double check that the wind is still within reasonable limits after you move things. Check L Alt + F9 cam. Wind should be around 20-30 kts over deck, with no cross wind, or a slight starboard crosswind (1-3 kts or so). If you simply move everything west on the map, and make sure the boat goes the same heading (magnetic 353 I think?) you should be all good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/15/2023 at 12:59 AM, captain_dalan said:

Hey guys, new personal best! 69! Next step, 70+ !!!

Impressive, especially in the Tomcat.......well flown! Couple of questions, do you use auto throttle at all and how much use of the DLC do you make? 

My best so far has been a 63 in the F14, but I have done a 70 in the Hornet twice......

Interesting how the IFOLS overlay shows you low all the way in then high over the bow and landing. I think its wrongly calibrated for the Tomcat personally and dont turn on, I just try and use the one on the deck.

Edited by markturner1960
  • Like 2

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

On 10/19/2023 at 9:42 AM, Bankler said:

It works, but the only thing it really does is cutting out the first parts of grading, so you fly the CASE 3 approach (straight in) and it will grade you in the groove (max 33 points or so). It doesn't check anything else of the CASE 3 stuff (hold, push time, the way you descend and align with final bearing etc). It's more a "bonus feature" if you and your friends want to do a CASE 3 event, and still get some grading, for fun.

No such plans. You're free to use the current versions and create on if you want though. It might be easy, but you may also run into problems depending on how different that boat happen to be in terms of height, lens position, wire positioning and so on. Might turn out to be a complete can of worms.

I don't do versions for other maps. But I think someone in this thread made a version like that. Don't know if it uses the latest script version or not. For the thing you want to solve, you might be able to move things around in the mission editor so you're farther away from shore. One advice is to just double check that the wind is still within reasonable limits after you move things. Check L Alt + F9 cam. Wind should be around 20-30 kts over deck, with no cross wind, or a slight starboard crosswind (1-3 kts or so). If you simply move everything west on the map, and make sure the boat goes the same heading (magnetic 353 I think?) you should be all good.

That's ace thanks! I didn't even consider moving the group on the same map but makes perfect sense thank you.