Download content while playing DCS?

Nealius

Is it possible to download content like modules or terrains while still playing DCS? I just purchased PG, but due to my terrible ISP terrain downloads are known to take 3-5 days to complete, and not being able to fly for 3-5 days isn't exactly fun when the workweek is piling stress onto you :joystick:

there are many other fun things to do in this world.

Not at 6pm on a weekday....."fun" is entirely subjective anyways. What's fun for one person can be downright boring for another. How is this relevant to my question, again?

Edited by Nealius

Is it possible to download content like modules or terrains while still playing DCS? I just purchased PG, but due to my terrible ISP terrain downloads are known to take 3-5 days to complete, and not being able to fly for 3-5 days isn't exactly fun when the workweek is piling stress onto you :joystick:

Steam lets you play DCS i.e. the Hornet, while downloading the Persian Gulf.

IIRC DCS gets a "(this game is playable now)" tag in the Steam library while the PG is DL'ing.

I was surprised when it allowed that for the free weekend and it's done the same tonight, after I bought the Hornet/PG discount bundle.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Is that only the Steam version? What about standalone? I recall there was some method to download terrain through a Windows Powershell command, but I don't know if that also allows you to simultaneously play or not.

Well luckily the DCS Gods have made it so that failed downloads do not have to be restarted.

Just cancel the download when you want to play, otherwise I would leave it running overnight and when at work this way you 3-5 days feels like alot less.

That should work. Just can't play at the same time as you download.

❤️