Graphic question

Hello all... I was wondering if some one could give me a good advice on antialiasing and antisotropic settings for my video card?

these are the components of my pc...

Motherboard: ASUS MB M2V K8T890 PCX SRG

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+,

Memory: 1024MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT Pci Ex

Realtek HD Audio output

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance :)

A sage piece of advice might be to increase your RAM to 2GB. Personally have not got the same card, but with all my previous cards I found that 4XAA and 4xAF works pretty well in striking the balance between Quality and Performance.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Keep in mind that antialiasing makes bigger impact on cards performance than anisotropic filtering. I think that 6600 would work best with 2xAA and 4xAF.

You can also choose quality of AA and AF, so try setting it on medium quality.

It would be the best for you to spend an hour on trying various settings and see for your self which settings give you the most fps (ctrl-backspace for ingame fps counter).

Hi Trooper,

Do you fly fighters or bombers? The reason I ask is that if you fly bombers you do not want to use anti-aliasing. I'm sure I shouldn't share this but...its much easier for bomber pilots if no AA is used...that way the sneaky bast&^d stinger/strela can be seen as a flashing black pixel from a decent distance away...same with any ground unit.

If you're a fighter guy then I can't say what effect AA has or doesn't have, but I would assume it would be similar to ground-pounding where its preferable to have AA off...or very low.

As for anisotropic filtering (AF), I have mine set to the highest my gfx card can do (x16 I think) as it doesn't have a huge impact on performance but improves the appearance of runways and suchlike. When I had my older rigs (with a GF6800 ultra and the other with a GF7900 GT) I did the same thing, no AA and high AF.

I'd be interested if others have a contrary opinion since I'm always looking to get the best out of my kit.

Currently I have a C2Duo E6600 o/clocked from 2.4 to 3.02Ghz, with 2Gb of 8500 ram, 2 raptor HDs and a GF8800 GTX OC2...its fantastic and I get about 30fps on the ground and anything up to 120 in the air...for the first time I have a rig that comfortably runs LO.

I would agree with the other poster than 2Gb of ram will be of significant benefit.

Good luck with whatever you invest in, LO is an expensive mistress isn't she?!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

487th Helicopter Attack Regiment, of the

VVS504 Red Hammers

...if you fly bombers you do not want to use anti-aliasing. I'm sure I shouldn't share this but...its much easier for bomber pilots if no AA is used...that way the sneaky bast&^d stinger/strela can be seen as a flashing black pixel from a decent distance away...same with any ground unit...

I have rugg's bino-view (12 x zoom) enabled as well as my Landloddistances set to Custom so have no problems picking up Ground Units from 35-40km out from Altitude with 6XAA.

Personally cannot stand jaggies so cannot do without AA:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anisotropic filtering is inexpensive in terms of GPU load, so nail that all the way up as far as she'll take it.

As for AA, I had the Sparkle 6600GT and I was limited to 1024x768 by my monitor. At that resolution I actually found the best performance in most applications (not including lockon, which went at 2xAA) was at 4xAA rather than none - something I've found in common with my 7600GS.

Lt. Commander Block: Every aerial photo and recon report indicate a defensive arsenal in the D, and perhaps negative C, categories. There's also some anti-aircraft squadrons.

Admiral Benson: I don't have a clue what you're talkin' about, Phil. Not a clue. I have a shell the size of a fist in my head. Pork Chop Hill. The only way I can make this toupee to stay on is by magnetizing the entire upper left quadrant of my skull, so you just go ahead and do what you do.

High Quality AF with Triliear filtering sure DOES have effect on framerate in high resolutions. It won't effect LockOn so much as this sim is much more CPU limited rather then GPU.

Also 1GB of RAM is quite enough and there is no need to go for 2GB *unless your running Windows Vista or set high value for terain preloading (200Km+) in graphics.cfg file. When I set 300Km for preloading I see just about 1GB of RAM used when running LockOn so there is no need for going 2GB of RAM (what ever some might claim).

If you set AF to application specifed you will see AF working on Runway/Taxiway textures only, but not normal terrain.

No AA or AF will indeed make you see targets better due to poor image quality, and like someone already mentioned, you will see distinct flickering of the objects at distance... but then again this is not realistic anyway so enable some AA/AF if you can.

I use 4xAA/AF and find that quite enough (using C2D E6600 with X1950XTX @ 1680x1050 resolution).

High number of AF samples WILL make a big impact on framerate with missions with overcast.

No longer active in DCS...

Thank you for your quick replies, i had already used 4AA/4AF but sometimes, especially in those cases when i play for a long time, the game starts to freeze, and when i ALT+TAB twice it runs smoothly but i end up having corrupted textures and subsequently have to close the game, exit to desktop and then open it up again. yesterday i downloaded the most recent drivers for my card but looks like i still have the same problem. Oh well, i think i'm gonna get used to it :(

anyway thank you guys for your help, i might get back some other time with more questions :) thanks again and sorry for my english

BTW what' this rugg's bino-view ?

You all got it wrong... It's not the Bino, but Rhino view..

I'll quote some of these hidden tactics....

And, according to Aikin, all the animals are doing it. When they're in the right mood, anything goes. From the rhinos, whose sex is so aggressive that the male knocks the female in the air trying to penetrate her, to the African elephants who advertise their erect, 4-foot long, 50-pound penis to get a female elephant's attention.

"It's like a heat-seeking missile," Aikin said. "It's amazing the kind of muscle control he has. He can move it around and actually find his target."

• Like 1

:D

BTW what' this rugg's bino-view ?

If you're a Frog/A-10 driver - read on.

A mod that is akin to having a set of 12X Binoculars in the Cock-Pit to aid in the spotting of Ground Units.

I referred to it as rugg's bino view due to the fact that it was a post of ruggbutt a long time ago that detailed the tweak - hence credit to AFAIAC the Original Poster/Author of the Mod.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Any chance you could find the original thread/post....I had a look for all of Ruggs threads but couldnt find the one I'm interested in.

Thanks in advance...any help seeing ground objects is useful ;)

If you're a Frog/A-10 driver - read on.

A mod that is akin to having a set of 12X Binoculars in the Cock-Pit to aid in the spotting of Ground Units.

I referred to it as rugg's bino view due to the fact that it was a post of ruggbutt a long time ago that detailed the tweak - hence credit to AFAIAC the Original Poster/Author of the Mod.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

487th Helicopter Attack Regiment, of the

VVS504 Red Hammers

I'm embarrassed to say I use labels on ground units. I use TekaTeka's mod I believe that changes the font to dots. I turn off names on ground labels and changed the color to less obvious than red so I still have to look for them.

Any chance you could find the original thread/post....I had a look for all of Ruggs threads but couldnt find the one I'm interested in.

Thanks in advance...any help seeing ground objects is useful ;)

Herewith ModMan Package Download Link :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm embarrassed to say I use labels on ground units. I use TekaTeka's mod I believe that changes the font to dots. I turn off names on ground labels and changed the color to less obvious than red so I still have to look for them.

yep, same here :((