History of changes with each F/A-18 variant

CheckGear

Does anybody know where I can find a detailed listing of the changes that occurred to the Hornet with each new block upgrade and variant introduction? I'm writing up an article on the Hornet and I'm specifically trying to determine when exactly the Hornet first acquired the ability to fire HARMs and Harpoons.

The A variant was always designed to shoot HARMs. Harpoons never came until C variant.

From FAS.org

The original F/A-18A (single seat) and F/A-18B (dual seat) became operational in 1983 replacing Navy and Marine Corps F-4s and A-7s. It quickly became the battle group commander's mainstay because of its capability, versatility and availability. Reliability and ease of maintenance were emphasized in its design, and F/A-18s have consistently flown three times more hours without failure than other Navy tactical aircraft, while requiring half the maintenance time.

The Hornet has been battle tested and has proved itself to be exactly what its designers intended: a highly reliable and versatile strike fighter. The F/A-18 played an important role in the 1986 strikes against Libya. Flying from USS CORAL SEA (CV 43), F/A-18s launched high-speed anti-radiation missiles (HARMs) against Libyan air defense radars and missile sites, effectively silencing them during the attacks on Benghazi facilities.

And Wikipedia on the C model

The F/A-18C and D models are the result of a block upgrade in 1987[18] incorporating upgraded radar, avionics, and the capacity to carry new missiles such as the AIM-120 AMRAAM air-to-air missile and AGM-65 Maverick[8] and AGM-84 Harpoon air-to-surface missiles.

The problem I think you have is finding the specific block upgrades? I couldn't find that either :-(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Creator of:

F-18C VFA-195 "Dambusters" 1998 CAG Livery

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=213788

F-18C VFA-195 "Dambusters" July 2001 CAG Livery

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215950

Pilot avatars for DCS Logbook

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=221160

How to make a DCS A-10C Panel

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=65998

Yeah I had a look as well and it seems a lot less well documented when compared to the likes of the F-16.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

The A variant was always designed to shoot HARMs. Harpoons never came until C variant.

From FAS.org

The original F/A-18A (single seat) and F/A-18B (dual seat) became operational in 1983 replacing Navy and Marine Corps F-4s and A-7s. It quickly became the battle group commander's mainstay because of its capability, versatility and availability. Reliability and ease of maintenance were emphasized in its design, and F/A-18s have consistently flown three times more hours without failure than other Navy tactical aircraft, while requiring half the maintenance time.

The Hornet has been battle tested and has proved itself to be exactly what its designers intended: a highly reliable and versatile strike fighter. The F/A-18 played an important role in the 1986 strikes against Libya. Flying from USS CORAL SEA (CV 43), F/A-18s launched high-speed anti-radiation missiles (HARMs) against Libyan air defense radars and missile sites, effectively silencing them during the attacks on Benghazi facilities.

And Wikipedia on the C model

The F/A-18C and D models are the result of a block upgrade in 1987[18] incorporating upgraded radar, avionics, and the capacity to carry new missiles such as the AIM-120 AMRAAM air-to-air missile and AGM-65 Maverick[8] and AGM-84 Harpoon air-to-surface missiles.

The problem I think you have is finding the specific block upgrades? I couldn't find that either :-(

I know Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations is hardly an "authoritative" source. That said, they do show the A-variant as capable of firing Harpoons as early as 1984, when it made its first operational deployment. CMANO is lavishly researched with insane attention to detail, which is why I'm wondering if there's something more to what they say.

Also, I understand the AN/AAS-38 wasn't equipped with a laser designator initially. However, I do understand it was capable of dropping laser-guided bombs by use of another pod equipped with a laser designator, the AN/ASQ-173. Is this correct? And did the AAS-38 ever eventually receive a laser designator, or did it always need to be used in conjunction with the ASQ-173?

The AAS-38A was a laser designator/ranger also called a targeting FLIR or T-FLIR. The AAS-38B included a laser spot tracker.

The AAS-38A and ASQ-173 pods are meant to be used together to be able to Designate for Laser Guided Weapons

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Creator of:

The AAS-38A was a laser designator/ranger also called a targeting FLIR or T-FLIR. The AAS-38B included a laser spot tracker.

The AAS-38A and ASQ-173 pods are meant to be used together to be able to Designate for Laser Guided Weapons

But the original AAS-38 (the one before the A-model) had no laser, correct? And once the AAS-38B arrived, there was no need for the ASQ-173, correct?

Here is a list of variants which may help.

http://www.uswarplanes.net/hornet.html

Thanks!

The first one....no idea. Second one, I think it still needs ASQ-173

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Creator of:

Lot 10. - 1987

Lot 11.- 1988

Lot 12.

The Lot 12 series F/A-18, introduced in FY90, provided the

F/A-18 with a night attack capability.

This was accomplished by providing NVG compatible

cockpit lighting and displays, a thermal imaging navigation set, digital map set with full colour capability ( MPCD display) , 2 new DDI (with 3 color range displays), and a raster HUD. In addition, an independent aft cockpit capability was included for the two-seat F/A-18D (USMC) version.

Lot 13.

The Lot 13 series F/A-18 was introduced in FY91. The enhancements provided by this Lot included the OBOGS, which replaced the lox converter. The NACES and SEWARS were added and armament capabilities were enhanced through the additional hardware provisions for AGM-86 Harpoon and AGM-84 Stand-off Land Attack Missile. The Inertial Navigation System (INS) was also upgraded to the AN/ASN-139 that uses ring laser gyro technology.

Lot 14.

The Lot 14 series F/A-18 was introduced in FY92. This update added full AN/ARC-210 HAVEQUICK/SINCGARS VHF FM Radio provisions to the aircraft and the AN/AAS-38A FLIR/LDT was also incorporated into the F/A-18. Additionally, the Deployable Flight Incident Recorder Set (DFIRS) provides non-volatile storage of the last 30 minutes of flight incident data in a deployable unit.

Lot 15.

Delivered in FY93, the Lot 15 series F/A-18 integrated an enhanced engine into the airframe. The F404-GE-400 Power Plant was replaced by the F404- GE-402 EPE. The new engine provided increased power, coupled with reduced fuel consumption. Additionally, the XN-8 Mission Computer and the 91 series Operational Flight

Program (OFP) were introduced.

Lot 16.

The enhancements provided by the Lot 16 series F/A-18, which was introduced in FY94, included the integration of the AN/APG-73 Radar Upgrade (RUG) Phase I. The primary improvements provided by the AN/APG-73 RUG Phase I were increased Electronic Counter Countermeasures capabilities, increased memory and processing

speed of the signal and data processing functions, and increased receiver bandwidth combining to provide growth capabilities for incorporation of advanced radar modes. The AN/ARC-210 HAVEQUICK/SINCGARS VHF FM Radio was also installed along with the LAU-115 Launcher improvements and incorporation of the 09 (formerly 93) series OFP.I-10

Lot 17.

In FY95, the Cockpit Video Recording System (CVRS) and the AN/AAS-38B Advanced FLIR were introduced. Additionally, there were provisions added for the GPS.

Lot 18.

Lot 18 series F/A-18 were delivered in FY96 and included the GPS, the AN/ALE-47 Countermeasures Dispensing Set, and a sixth avionics multiplexer bus. Additionally, the 11 series OFP was introduced.

Lot19.

Introduced in FY97, Lot XIX series F/A-18C/D Aircraft received a Stores Management System upgrade and an AN/APX- 111(V) Combined Interrogator- Transponder (CIT).

Lot 20.

In FY98, Lot 20 series F/A-18C/D Aircraft were delivered, integrating the Phase II AN/APG-73 RUG, ATARS, Joint Direct Attack Munitions, Joint Stand Off Weapon, and EGI to meet the precision navigation capability that future weapon systems require. EGI provides an all-altitude, worldwide source of navigation and attitude information.

Post Production upgrades

Circa 1997 and beyond -Integration of GPS module

Circa early 2000s - 2009 , Integration of Link 16

1999-2006 Delivery of Phase 2 upgrades to the AN/APG73 ( SAR mapping)_

2003- Aim9X integration

2004 - AMPCD begins to replace the MPCD on various F/A18C production lots.

2005 + JHMCS integration.

Thats also not covering software updates for the Flight system ( FOr eg our Lot 20 is OFP 13C).

P.S

be feel to correct me on this for anyone who knows better or expand on additional features.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Does anybody know where I can find a detailed listing of the changes that occurred to the Hornet with each new block upgrade and variant introduction? I'm writing up an article on the Hornet and I'm specifically trying to determine when exactly the Hornet first acquired the ability to fire HARMs and Harpoons.

Here you go(C lots):

Lot 10.

Blocks 23, 24 and 25.

Lot 11.

Blocks 26, 27 and 28.

Lot 12.

Blocks 29, 30 and 31.

The Lot XII series F/A-18, introduced in FY90, provided the

F/A-18 with a night attack capability. This was accomplished by providing NVG compatible

cockpit lighting and displays, a thermal imaging navigation set, digital map set, multipurpose color

displays, and a raster HUD. In addition, an independent aft cockpit capability was included for

the two-seat F/A-18D (USMC) version.

Lot 13.

Blocks 32, 33 and 34.

The Lot XIII series F/A-18 was introduced in FY91. The

enhancements provided by this Lot included the OBOGS, which replaced the lox converter. The

NACES and SEWARS were added and armament capabilities were enhanced through the

additional hardware provisions for AGM-86 Harpoon and AGM-84 Stand-off Land Attack

Missile. The Inertial Navigation System (INS) was also upgraded to the AN/ASN-139 that uses

ring laser gyro technology.

Lot 14.

Blocks 35, 36 and 37.

The Lot XIV series F/A-18 was introduced in FY92. This

update added full AN/ARC-210 HAVEQUICK/SINCGARS VHF FM Radio provisions to the

aircraft and the AN/AAS-38A FLIR/LDT was also incorporated into the F/A-18. Additionally,

the Deployable Flight Incident Recorder Set (DFIRS) provides non-volatile storage of the last 30

minutes of flight incident data in a deployable unit.

Lot 15.

Blocks 38, 39 and 40.

Delivered in FY93, the Lot XV series F/A-18 integrated an

enhanced engine into the airframe. The F404-GE-400 Power Plant was replaced by the F404-

GE-402 EPE. The new engine provided increased power, coupled with reduced fuel

consumption. Additionally, the XN-8 Mission Computer and the 91 series Operational Flight

Program (OFP) were introduced.

Lot 16.

Blocks 41, 42 and 43.

The enhancements provided by the Lot XVI series F/A-18,

which was introduced in FY94, included the integration of the AN/APG-73 Radar Upgrade

(RUG) Phase I. The primary improvements provided by the AN/APG-73 RUG Phase I were

increased Electronic Counter Countermeasures capabilities, increased memory and processing

speed of the signal and data processing functions, and increased receiver bandwidth combining to

provide growth capabilities for incorporation of advanced radar modes. The AN/ARC-210

HAVEQUICK/SINCGARS VHF FM Radio was also installed along with the LAU-115 Launcher

improvements and incorporation of the 09 (formerly 93) series OFP.

Lot 17.

Blocks 44, 45 and 46.

In FY95, the Cockpit Video Recording System (CVRS)

and the AN/AAS-38B Advanced FLIR were introduced. Additionally, there were provisions

added for the GPS.

Lot 18.

Blocks 47, 48 and 49.

Lot XVIII series F/A-18 were delivered in FY96 and

included the GPS, the AN/ALE-47 Countermeasures Dispensing Set, and a sixth avionics

multiplexer bus. Additionally, the 11 series OFP was introduced.

Lot 19. Introduced in FY97, Lot XIX series F/A-18C/D Aircraft

received a Stores Management System upgrade and an AN/APX-111(V) Combined InterrogatorTransponder (CIT).

Lot 20. In FY98, Lot XX series F/A-18C/D Aircraft were delivered,

integrating the Phase II AN/APG-73 RUG, ATARS, Joint Direct Attack Munitions, Joint Stand

Off Weapon, and EGI to meet the precision navigation capability that future weapon systems

require. EGI provides an all-altitude, worldwide source of navigation and attitude information.

JJ

not as familair with the Features of the A But there are some key features to tell apart from when major changes were introduced.

1987 - FIrst F/A18C Production lots still have the HSI Display like the F/A18A model, but one can still tell them apart via cockpit comparisons due to digital fuel display in the F/A18C production models.

Correct - Lots 10 and 11.

Lot 12(1989): Night Attack version introduced - NVG and compatible instrumentation including new HUD, DDIs and MPCD.

Circa 1992 - New higher performance F404 GE 402 Engines introduced, as well as Beginning of Introducing AN/APG 73 Phase 1 radar.

CIrca 1994 - HSI display is replaced with the MPCD, as well as Integration of the AMRAM. I read somewhere that the Navy was late compared to the USAF into operationally adopting the AIm120 family

Not quite - the -402EPE engines were installed on some aircraft in Lot 14(1991), but only became standard fit from Lot 15(1992) yes, but the MPCD was introduced already with Lot 12.

From Lot 16(1993) the AN/APG-65 was replaced with the AN/APG-73 and the AMRAAM adopted. Its true that the F-18 was the last to receive the AIM-120 - IIRC integration with USAF F-16s and F-15s occured 1991-92.

1996 - ( not sure but IRRC it was F/A18C lot 18), introduces the new ALE47 CM suite. replacing the older ALE39, which was largely an analog panel for CM programming.

Yes it was with Lot 18(from fall of 1995).

JJ

Correct - Lots 10 and 11.

Lot 12(1989): Night Attack version introduced - NVG and compatible instrumentation including new HUD, DDIs and MPCD.

Not quite - the -402EPE engines were installed on some aircraft in Lot 14(1991), but only became standard fit from Lot 15(1992) yes, but the MPCD was introduced already with Lot 12.

From Lot 16(1993) the AN/APG-65 was replaced with the AN/APG-73 and the AMRAAM adopted. Its true that the F-18 was the last to receive the AIM-120 - IIRC integration with USAF F-16s and F-15s occured 1991-92.

Yes it was with Lot 18(from fall of 1995).

Yea thanks. Although what should be noted is that various earlier lots were upgraded to many of the same post production features that we currently have on the lot 20 in dcs within the 2000s.

Like you can see an image of a pre lot 18 hornet sporting the ale39 cm suite but otherwise fitted with ampcd , have hmd integration , and also presumably other features like link16, GPS etc. Although it is hard to tell without documentation what as was changed.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Yea thanks. Although what should be noted is that various earlier lots were upgraded to many of the same post production features that we currently have on the lot 20 in dcs within the 2000s.

Like you can see an image of a pre lot 18 hornet sporting the ale39 cm suite but otherwise fitted with ampcd , have hmd integration , and also presumably other features like link16, GPS etc. Although it is hard to tell without documentation what as was changed.

Yeah for post production upgrades, you would probably need to know the BUNO to tell the exact features.

JJ

Making Legacy A's backwards compatible with a software update would be about as hard as flashing your car's engine controller for more power or better mileage. Probably take a little longer because of the paperwork...

So, it takes a bit longer than that, especially back in 87-88. Usually a full software suite was about a 3 hour affair to do both mission computers and the armament computer.

I do remember we were flying Harpoon once we got our first mission computer hardware upgrade in A models. We were all amazed that the cpu was updated to run at 16 MHz, and memory was doubled to the astonishing amount of 512K.

This thread is full of win.

I love threads like this as opposed to threads along the lines of...."why isn't this finished", "wtf are the devs doing?" or "this thing is totally unplayable!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Creator of:

This thread is full of win.

I love threads like this as opposed to threads along the lines of...."why isn't this finished", "wtf are the devs doing?" or "this thing is totally unplayable!"

True that

+1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

So, it takes a bit longer than that, especially back in 87-88. Usually a full software suite was about a 3 hour affair to do both mission computers and the armament computer.

I do remember we were flying Harpoon once we got our first mission computer hardware upgrade in A models. We were all amazed that the cpu was updated to run at 16 MHz, and memory was doubled to the astonishing amount of 512K.

And what was the real world difference?

Did the older mission computers freeze up when overloaded with too many tasks?.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Just for everyone else's general fund of knowledge, this also had 512K....

1280px-Mac512k-front.jpg

Still a big improvement over this which was the sort of consumer computing product available during the f15s 1st year of production.

Whilst dated today the Macintosh 1 was revolutionary product for it's time

Irrc was the first successful mass produced computer that had a clickable user friendly gui with colour.

1200px-Apple_I_Computer.jpg

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

And what was the real world difference?

Did the older mission computers freeze up when overloaded with too many tasks?.

Nope, they were from the 70's, and prone to 1970's reliability issues. They worked great right up until when they didn't.

They were good enough to get the job done, but technology was advancing and the new Mission computers not only had more performance, but were much more reliable and had more growth to them.

Bro I just typed in 512K and that was the Macintosh was the first thing that came up. The post was a joke reply and a simple comparison for reference and you got all the way up in it. You must be more bored than I am.

I think the only one worked up here is you... "bro"

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

First, I apologize for not replying sooner. I was sidetracked by other responsibilities.

Second, THANKS TO ALL OF YOU for helping me out with this. As someone said, information on F/A-18 improvements and upgrades are tough to come by, despite the aircraft being as a popular as it is.

I have almost all the information I need. The only lingering question is regarding the AAS-38.

Lot 14.

Blocks 35, 36 and 37.

...and the AN/AAS-38A FLIR/LDT was also incorporated into the F/A-18.

Lot 17.

Blocks 44, 45 and 46.

...and the AN/AAS-38B Advanced FLIR were introduced.

At what point was the AAS-38 capable of designating targets via laser independently, without needing to mount the AN/ASQ-173 as well? I'm receiving conflicting information on this on other sources.

Here's what I'm trying to get at. On January 13, 1993, the U.S., U.K., and France launched strikes on Iraqi air defense installations in retaliation for their violation of the southern no-fly zone. In a book titled Cradle of Conflict, the author notes

...Coalition aircraft displayed many of the same weaknesses and confronted the same challenges that had reduced bombing performances in Desert Storm. Six F/A-18 and 4 [sic] F-16 aircraft employed in the raid were equipped with FLIR night-targeting systems but employed unguided Mk. 84 2,000-pound bombs...

Those six F/A-18s were of the A-variant (I can prove this), yet they were, by 1992, utilizing targeting pods. However, they clearly couldn't drop laser-guided bombs, otherwise, there'd be no reason to drop "dumb" bombs if they had access to a FLIR. The same appears to be true of F-16s at the time.

Where I'm going with this is that not only was precision strike not something the U.S. military had mastered until much later, but the F/A-18 wasn't that as capable of a "strike" fighter until much later in its career. It's something that I found very surprising in the course of my research. The U.S. loved to play up its precision-strike capabilities, yet, even years after Desert Storm, there were still many planes incapable of precision attack or the capabilities hadn't fully matured.

I have almost all the information I need. The only lingering question is regarding the AAS-38.

At what point was the AAS-38 capable of designating targets via laser independently, without needing to mount the AN/ASQ-173 as well? I'm receiving conflicting information on this on other sources.

AFAIK carrying the AN/ASQ-173 did not provide the F-18 with the ability to designate targets independently - its a laser spot tracker used in combination with the FLIR(AAS-38 ), but AFAIK it required the target to be "illuminated" by an external laser source - i.e. it didn't have a laser designator of its own(only able to track the reflected energy).

I am not sure, but I think the paragraphs you quoted in my post is what you are looking for - i.e. the integration of the "AN/AAS-38B advanced FLIR" with Lot 17, which IIRC came with a laser designator/tracker sub-system, so the aircraft was able to designate a target by itself.

Lot 17 was introduced with FY-95(i.e. from October 1994).

Here's what I'm trying to get at. On January 13, 1993, the U.S., U.K., and France launched strikes on Iraqi air defense installations in retaliation for their violation of the southern no-fly zone. In a book titled Cradle of Conflict, the author notes

Those six F/A-18s were of the A-variant (I can prove this), yet they were, by 1992, utilizing targeting pods. However, they clearly couldn't drop laser-guided bombs, otherwise, there'd be no reason to drop "dumb" bombs if they had access to a FLIR. The same appears to be true of F-16s at the time.

Well I don't know about that - precision guided munitions are a heck of a lot more expensive than "dumb bombs" :) . I guess it depends on whether the particular type of target and the environment it is located in calls for it. But I think you are right that we tend to look at US capabilities with a rather short perspective.

Where I'm going with this is that not only was precision strike not something the U.S. military had mastered until much later, but the F/A-18 wasn't that as capable of a "strike" fighter until much later in its career. It's something that I found very surprising in the course of my research. The U.S. loved to play up its precision-strike capabilities, yet, even years after Desert Storm, there were still many planes incapable of precision attack or the capabilities hadn't fully matured.

Well there are other types of PGMs than LGBs - e.g. the Russians have a wide array of such armament, but many tactical aircraft(multi-role fighters) still cannot deploy exactly LGBs independently(lacking a targeting pod for the purpose).

JJ

AFAIK carrying the AN/ASQ-173 did not provide the F-18 with the ability to designate targets independently - its a laser spot tracker used in combination with the FLIR(AAS-38 ), but AFAIK it required the target to be "illuminated" by an external laser source - i.e. it didn't have a laser designator of its own(only able to track the reflected energy).

I am not sure, but I think the paragraphs you quoted in my post is what you are looking for - i.e. the integration of the "AN/AAS-38B advanced FLIR" with Lot 17, which IIRC came with a laser designator/tracker sub-system, so the aircraft was able to designate a target by itself.

Lot 17 was introduced with FY-95(i.e. from October 1994).

Let me see if I follow:

- AN/AAS-38/A was a FLIR, nothing more;

- AN/ASQ-173 was a laser spot-tracker that could pick up laser signals, without emitting any of its own;

- Together, they still required a laser from a Forward Air Controller or another aircraft (such as a TRAM-equipped A-6E) to drop laser-guided munitions;

- AN/AA-38B was equipped with a laser-designator and tracker, allowing the Hornet to independently lase and attack targets without assistance from an FAC or another plane.

Does that sound right?

Well I don't know about that - precision guided munitions are a heck of a lot more expensive than "dumb bombs" :) . I guess it depends on whether the particular type of target and the environment it is located in calls for it. But I think you are right that we tend to look at US capabilities with a rather short perspective.

In the January 13, 1993 strike, they utilized F-15E Strike Eagles and F-117A Nighthawks, which were capable of dropping "smart" bombs. Kitty Hawk also had TRAM-equipped A-6Es, so they had plenty of assets capable of dropping PGMs. The only reason I can gather the F-16s and F/A-18s didn't drop PGMs was because they couldn't. I wish I could find out for sure, though.

Well there are other types of PGMs than LGBs - e.g. the Russians have a wide array of such armament, but many tactical aircraft(multi-role fighters) still cannot deploy exactly LGBs independently(lacking a targeting pod for the purpose).

Of course, the F/A-18 could fire Mavericks and Walleyes independently long before it ever dropped its first LGB independently. But there's something different about hitting the broad side of a barn without missing the barn completely (using a Maverick or Walleye) versus hitting a very specific bullseye.

Let me see if I follow:

- AN/AAS-38/A was a FLIR, nothing more;

- AN/ASQ-173 was a laser spot-tracker that could pick up laser signals, without emitting any of its own;

- Together, they still required a laser from a Forward Air Controller or another aircraft (such as a TRAM-equipped A-6E) to drop laser-guided munitions;

- AN/AA-38B was equipped with a laser-designator and tracker, allowing the Hornet to independently lase and attack targets without assistance from an FAC or another plane.

Does that sound right?

In the January 13, 1993 strike, they utilized F-15E Strike Eagles and F-117A Nighthawks, which were capable of dropping "smart" bombs. Kitty Hawk also had TRAM-equipped A-6Es, so they had plenty of assets capable of dropping PGMs. The only reason I can gather the F-16s and F/A-18s didn't drop PGMs was because they couldn't. I wish I could find out for sure, though.

Of course, the F/A-18 could fire Mavericks and Walleyes independently long before it ever dropped its first LGB independently. But there's something different about hitting the broad side of a barn without missing the barn completely (using a Maverick or Walleye) versus hitting a very specific bullseye.

If Mavericks couldn't hit the broadside of a barn then they wouldn't be produced for so many years, nor would they be in service today, given advancement, and the variety of PGM available today.

Mavericks are a combat proven missile system and got a reputation as lethal stand off tank buster.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro