How realistic is the Hornet model?

Tiramisu

Yes, rthe Viper has Cat l and Cat lll. Cat lll is for A/G loads and restricts the G's you can pull. Cat l is for A/a loads and gets full G's.

It's a switch the pilot can flip. So, I guess the systen can still be abused. You'd think it would be automatically be set to save the plane.

It doesn't restrict G's, it restricts maximum AOA. Not the same as the G limiter in the Hornet. I personally prefer the Hornet's system, it'll gradually let you pull more G's as your weight or loadout permits, while keeping the plane safe. And if you absolutely need to pull in order to stop yourself from crashing during a dive, you can use the paddle switch. You'll likely cause damage to the airframe, but it's preferable than smashing to the ground.

Edited by Harker

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

How do you pull more G's without increasing AOA?

Go vertical and fire them rockets

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

You certainly cannot Aerobrake land the Hornet like the Finnish and Swiss pilots do and hold the nose up.

- skip to 7:20

-skip to 4:40

As of present. Its IMPOSSIBLE to aerobrake and hold the nose up on a Hornet with full flaps landing configuration.

You certainly cannot Aerobrake land the Hornet like the Finnish and Swiss pilots do and hold the nose up.

- skip to 7:20

-skip to 4:40

As of present. Its IMPOSSIBLE to aerobrake and hold the nose up on a Hornet with full flaps landing configuration.

Likely due to the FM bug with the reverse ground effect.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Likely due to the FM bug with the reverse ground effect.

Its a bug? Likely? Or something to do with how the ground effect is modeled...

So far, its the ONLY current aircraft in DCS that can never do that aerobrake nose up landing style like Air force pilots do for the Navy-centric Hornet. Rest of the aircrafts, its very much possible to aerobrake. Second hardest being the Mig 21 and 3rd being the Tomcat. The Hornet is simply impossible, UNLESS you set the FLAPS to HALF and the runway is very long, then it is most certainly possible.

I hope the Flight model tweaking is in their roadmap of "to do" things...

The G-Limiter can actually be quite dangerous if it does not allow you to pull up at a higher rate when you want to avoid a crash on the ground. But that is probably another topic.

Btw. I have asked another question about the realism of the Hornet, but I accidently posted it in a wrong subforum:

Edit: I have tried it myself now after bombing an airstrip with Mk83 Snakeyes bombs, but even when I was rolling with 120 knots over one of the bomb craters my Hornet could still takeoff without big problems. So it is a little bit disappointing that bombing an airstrip in DCS just adds small bumbs on it instead of making it totally unusable.

I believe the 2000lbers make a good dent.