Whats the best way to setup a second DCS rig?

FragBum

Okay I'm looking at setting up a second DCS PC (Maybe a server latter on) So do I simply use my account buy the modules a second time or is it best to setup a second account for licensing.

I'd like to maybe get some modules in the current sale for the second PC. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

1: What is the purpose of the second PC? Fly with it? Server only?

2: If you want to fly on it, you most likely need a second account there.

Regards,

RR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

If it’s to act as a server, all you really need is the maps, though Combined Arms might also be useful to allow high level control.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

It's more a second rig to run DCS idea currently, I'm just not sure how to handle the software licensing for say 2 of the same aircraft.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Cool so I just purchase a second serial number under my account, I'm fine with that but can see managing serial numbers could quickly become a hassle with the current DRM scheme.

Cheers. :thumbup:

If you need to use a paid module on both at the same time, then you'll have to have two licenses for that particular module. If you just need to run a server, you just make a second account and run the game.

You cannot fly online with the same account on two machines simultaneously.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

If it is to run as a server you don't need to but aircraft licenses again as you are not actually flying them. (the server stays in spectator mode).

You will however need to buy the terrains if you wish to host a mission on those terrains.

Also there is a dedicated server program being worked on and they tell us it is in internal testing right now. It is hoped, but not yet confirmed, it will allow you to host missions on all terrains for free.

Well it seems I will need to setup another account, near future is to just have the second PC so my wife can give it ago as well. :D

The sever might happen a little later down the track.

Would a hosted service be best for a "server" or is it just easier to host it from home? The ol OC sitting in the corner thing. :)

Well it seems I will need to setup another account, near future is to just have the second PC so my wife can give it ago as well. :D

The sever might happen a little later down the track.

Would a hosted service be best for a "server" or is it just easier to host it from home? The ol OC sitting in the corner thing. :)

The last time I rented a Root-Server I paid like 120€/month. I am not sure if that is what you want. Also, yours needs Windows OS, that's another 10-30€ more than for any linux box in a DC.

No, make it your own, host it, manage it and do what you want with it.

For ~ 100/month you can do a lot yourself.

The only downside would be bandwidth. if you plan to have it public you need adequate bandwidth for your desired player count. Your ISP/HomeLine might not have the bandwidth in Upload that is needed for more than just a handfull of players. You have to check the speed and decide.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I have 4 DCS accounts at my house: (me, two sons and a spare) Each needs its own account for us to fly via online or Lan or whatever. However you can have one be a server without that one having to own all the modules.

Cool I've set up the second account waiting for email verification and now have a collection of helicopters and the Yak and NTTR waiting.

Cheers all and thanks!

I might gift them to my second account see if I can use some of that credit I have build up. :D

Alright lets just say this is a somewhat interesting process, amazing how tied down to your LAN this software is.