Easy Refuel Option

Teriander

Even in a sim it makes more sense to teach them how to land before teaching them the C1 pattern because in a real jet if the student can't perform the landing running the pattern AT LEAST the instructor will can say; "OK, let's just land and we'll go through a debrief."
Thats why you first learn formation flying before you turn to aar refuel. Same relation. What's being asked for here is more like flying close to the ground counts as a landing

Gesendet von meinem SM-G960F mit Tapatalk

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ofc they don't just toss those guys in a plane and let them try. That's what simulators are for. You can be sure though there won't be an easy mode. If you learn it wrong you don't really need to bother.

We don't have instructors or training material either. What's your point?

Thats why you first learn formation flying before you turn to aar refuel. Same relation. What's being asked for here is more like flying close to the ground counts as a landing

Didn't bother to read my post did you? Talking about Carrier landings. I have no doubt pilots learn formation flying prior to AAR training. And it's not the same relation. A pilot is going to learn how to take off and land before he/she learns formation flying.

Edited by Akula
  • MB: MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
  • Memory: WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K Desktop Processor 24 cores (8P+16E) 36M Cache
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090
  • TrackIR on Samsung 49 inch Odyssey Widescreen
  • No money in my pocket lol

Didn't bother to read my post did you? Talking about Carrier landings. I have no doubt pilots learn formation flying prior to AAR training. And it's not the same relation. A pilot is going to learn how to take off and land before he/she learns formation flying.
Did read, still the same relation. From the easy task to the hard one. Regular ops prior to carrier ops. Formation prior to aar. From the easy task to the hard one. Different field though.

And @flaming squirrel I was not talking about the means with wich we learn but the content that is learned.

My 2 cents, the harder the better.

As a side note I enjoy driving classic cars, flying old aircraft (real ones) and using old pieces of machinery so maybe it’s just in my nature.

I have absolutly no problem helping somebody learn something difficult. And I’d never ridicule somebody for finding AAR difficult, because it is. But being “this would take too long and too much effort to learn so I want an easy mode” is diametrically opposed to my attitude about tackling challenges in life. Son of an RAF pilot so possibly a military thing I guess.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

For SP easy refuel is implemented by ED. All you need is start the mission with an AI plane + allow Rightalt+J: jump in/out plane. If a plane, by mission start, is AI: if fly behind a tanker and fuel thirsty it will refuel in AI mode. (you can monitor it in outside F2 view, need it to jump back)

So just a little step to implement to ED for as PLAYER/CLIENT started planes to do this.

Plus a minimal work to not loose the clicked settings of the Hornet during control switches: TACAN, ICLS, radios, countermeasures programs...

And you can guess: is an auto air combat mode in the DCS? - YES

Edited by discwalker
video

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

For my personal taste, A2A refueling is quite too easy implemented. Took me only several hours to do it "as usual". Just A2A refueld the Harrier during a stormy and rainy night while doing a circle pattern.

Try that if you think straight forward refueling with the Hornet during sunshine is hard.

I would LOVE to see better physics of the basket etc...

However, I can understand that it is too hard for several people and so i also would say that there could be an easy option implemented. It is done already with the radios...

And all those people crying: "It s a Sim, not a game, go learn harder"

Did you all de-installed DCS and gave up on it as you have died the first time in the game?

No? Why not`? I thought its a sim, not a game?

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

Did you all de-installed DCS and gave up on it as you have died the first time in the game?

Lol.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Just thinking

It is possible with this?

8632251000U5.JPG

for embedding youtube videos just insert the video ids in between youtube tags, not the full URL

(edit: and posts are editable)

Edited by discwalker
editable

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

I don't think a large basket easy solution even works. If you can't fly in formation with a tanker reasonably well to being with (and im not talking perfect, just reasonable) then what good does having a large basket do, if you can't stay connected? If you can fly in formation, then refuelling is as easy, with the hornet you drive right into it.

A rubbish throttle is really going to frustrate someone. I've seen it many times with perfectly normal patient people, it's the number one killer of AAR.

The second killer is chasing the basket and panicking and stressing.

It's a real shame that decent controllers have a big effect on this part of the game. The difference between £30, £100 and £350 controllers is very very very large in terms of your success in AAR. I've tried with them all. £30 was a no, £100 was a sweaty nightmare that got me wound up and £300 and a Hornet and it's a trivial excercise. And i mean that, without trying to look clever, because I spent plenty of time failing at it.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I don't think a large basket easy solution even works. If you can't fly in formation with a tanker reasonably well to being with (and im not talking perfect, just reasonable) then what good does having a large basket do, if you can't stay connected? If you can fly in formation, then refuelling is as easy, with the hornet you drive right into it.

A rubbish throttle is really going to frustrate someone. I've seen it many times with perfectly normal patient people, it's the number one killer of AAR.

The second killer is chasing the basket and panicking and stressing.

It's a real shame that decent controllers have a big effect on this part of the game. The difference between £30, £100 and £350 controllers is very very very large in terms of your success in AAR. I've tried with them all. £30 was a no, £100 was a sweaty nightmare that got me wound up and £300 and a Hornet and it's a trivial excercise. And i mean that, without trying to look clever, because I spent plenty of time failing at it.

Its interesting you should mention that, because I'm going to borrow a friends TM T-Flight Hotas X that he uses for Elite Dangerous - One of these:

715DU4W1A0L._SX679_.jpg

To see just how difficult it is to tank with a low end stick, and no Track IR.

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

And, whats your conclusion?

I'd guess that you can make it with that one also if you can manage it with your Hog...

Haven’t got hold of it yet hehe.

Proud owner of:

Just found that you can refuel from a standard KC-130 (i.e. the one without drogues). Just position yourself at the appropriate spot under the boom, call 'Ready Contact', and the operator will plug in and fuel will flow.

I was amazed - I was just testing all the tanker in our group's mission, when lo and behold!

It's a lot easier that chasing that drogue off the wingtip.

P.S don't tell DCS they may 'fix' it.

Just found that you can refuel from a standard KC-130 (i.e. the one without drogues). Just position yourself at the appropriate spot under the boom, call 'Ready Contact', and the operator will plug in and fuel will flow.

I was amazed - I was just testing all the tanker in our group's mission, when lo and behold!

It's a lot easier that chasing that drogue off the wingtip.

P.S don't tell DCS they may 'fix' it.

In the Hornet? You mean the boom gets plugged into the hornet probe? Please clarify

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

In the Hornet? You mean the boom gets plugged into the hornet probe? Please clarify

Yep, seen this on one of the many DCS Facebook pages, some people training up their unrealistic virtual skill, like refueling inverted for a long time or connecting the Hornet's probe to the KC-130 boom's tip... just seing the screenshot gives me shiver thinking papa 1 touching papa's 2 tip :P

I believe you guys are talking about the KC-135, and yeah the sim doesn’t know the difference between a probe on a Hornet and a body receptical on F-15. That’s why you can’t have a tanker with both boom and drogues, the sim doesn’t know which aircraft needs what.

Proud owner of:

For my personal taste, A2A refueling is quite too easy implemented. Took me only several hours to do it "as usual". Just A2A refueld the Harrier during a stormy and rainy night while doing a circle pattern.

Try that if you think straight forward refueling with the Hornet during sunshine is hard.

I would LOVE to see better physics of the basket etc...

However, I can understand that it is too hard for several people and so i also would say that there could be an easy option implemented. It is done already with the radios...

:megalol::megalol::megalol::megalol::megalol:

• MB: MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
  • Memory: WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K Desktop Processor 24 cores (8P+16E) 36M Cache
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090
  • TrackIR on Samsung 49 inch Odyssey Widescreen
  • No money in my pocket lol

Why not? What's so bad about it? How will it make your life boring if it's an option?

Well, let's make DCS a fully Ease of Access game, let's make an easy option for refueling on the groudn as well, just flying over the airfield like in Battlefield 1 will refuel your aircraft, and an easy option for AAR, an easy option to land that being 10 ft over the airfield makes it'S as if you're landed and don't damage the aircraft, let's make an option for the color blind people so they see everything up like some games do, also, let's make an option where the models can be seing 20 nm away as if they were 1 nm away for those having issues to spot aircrafts (oh forgot, we had it, but it's gone), also an easy option for bombs runs, so those having issues can have bombs exploding stuff 1 nm away from the target, also people having issues evading missiles, let's make a Slowmotion option for easy missile evading you know, like the Matrix, let's all make DCS suits for everyone's weakness, sounds a deal? :) Let's take out all the good work ED tried to bring realism (that lots of us i this community likes and for a lot of us, brought us to DCS) to a sim where most other PC sim failed or didn'T have, let's bring DCS down to other PC sim.

BTW who ever is having a hard time to AAR and wasted his time to read the entire 15 pages of this thread rather going in DCS and try to refuel is a bit funny.

Edited by Doum76

Well, let's make DCS a fully Ease of Access game, let's make an easy option for refueling on the groudn as well, just flying over the airfield like in Battlefield 1 will refuel your aircraft, and an easy option for AAR, an easy option to land that being 10 ft over the airfield makes it'S as if you're landed and don't damage the aircraft, let's make an option for the color blind people so they see everything up like some games do, also, let's make an option where the models can be seing 20 nm away as if they were 1 nm away for those having issues to spot aircrafts (oh forgot, we had it, but it's gone), also an easy option for bombs runs, so those having issues can have bombs exploding stuff 1 nm away from the target, also people having issues evading missiles, let's make a Slowmotion option for easy missile evading you know, like the Matrix, let's all make DCS suits for everyone's weakness, sounds a deal? :) Let's take out all the good work ED tried to bring realism (that lots of us i this community likes and for a lot of us, brought us to DCS) to a sim where most other PC sim failed or didn'T have, let's bring DCS down to other PC sim.

BTW who ever is having a hard time to AAR and wasted his time to read the entire 15 pages of this thread rather going in DCS and try to refuel is a bit funny.

I know you think you're joking, which is what makes just about everything you've said even more ridiculous. Firstly, taking someone's reasonable argument and twisting it to (what you consider to be) the extreme is a logical fallacy and is a poor way to make your point. Secondly, DCS already has a lot of those things as options: invincibility, unlimited fuel, labels etc, so dismissing this idea on that basis is already null and void.

I know you think you're joking, which is what makes just about everything you've said even more ridiculous. Firstly, taking someone's reasonable argument and twisting it to (what you consider to be) the extreme is a logical fallacy and is a poor way to make your point. Secondly, DCS already has a lot of those things as options: invincibility, unlimited fuel, labels etc, so dismissing this idea on that basis is already null and void.

Which many of your options mentionned are mostly unavailable on servers. Any reasons why you think? My point is, no matter what devs work their ass off to make something, we always whine to have something different, always easier to ask a developpers to work hard and long on something to ease us, rather than take the time to try. We don't have the time to practice, but let'S ask a Developper to take the time to create something for us laysy rather then to work on something more helpful. It's too wasy, we cry it'S too easy, it'S too hard, we cry it'S too hard, nature of human being, never satisfied with what otehr gives us, you give someone an inch and they ask 2 inches.