Why not Unity or Unreal Engine?

Magic Zach

I distantly recall that the DCS engine is a homemade engine. Why hasn't a more public engine been utilized? Fairly simple question.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Short answer is, because it's easier and cheaper, and to use another engine it would require a lot of work anyway to implement and optimize DCS's features.

DCS is being developed for a long time, way before Unity or UE4. They could have gone with UE3/UDK but back in the day the engine wasn't free, it was pretty expensive in fact. Also not sure if the engine would've supported the terrain scale of DCS - probably yes, but it would require a lot of work to make the custom physics engine and whatnot. Also, developing their own engine became easier than it was 5 to 10 years ago. Other companies like Ubisoft decided to build their own engine for their games instead of paying royalties to Epic to use UE. It's one of the reasons why Epic changed the UE business model to something similar to Unity's.

Unity, even today, require a lot of work to improve and optimize its performance. Their graphics quality it's starting to be on par with UE4 with less work out-of-the box with their new Scriptable Pipeline Render engine. But their terrain module it's still behind UE's and it's being improved for upcoming versions.

Maybe if DCS was starting it's development today, UE4 would be a viable option to speed things up.

A great example that an already built engine isn't always the best solution is Star Citizen. When it started development in 2011/12, they decided to go with Cryengine instead of UE because they thought the first was more capable of supporting the game graphics and scale - and also beacuse Crytek lent a hand to build the tech demo. But look the amount of work they had done to customize the engine to support the game's system.

¬ wedge

Wishlist: DCS: F-16C

wedgeDCS - Modern Custom CSS themes for the Forum

The engine would need to be suitable for flight simulation. I'd think the only engines out there are used to build competing products.

Also there might be long term business risks like the engine being discontinued or the license terms may change once you start making money...

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

I think these first person game type engines are not suitable for flight sims due to their limited draw distance/ scalability needed.

@wedge_one: SC has since changed engines to Amazon Lumberyard from what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong). So no more UE or Crytek.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I think these first person game type engines are not suitable for flight sims due to their limited draw distance/ scalability needed.

@wedge_one: SC has since changed engines to Amazon Lumberyard from what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong). So no more UE or Crytek.

Lumberyard is also based on cryengine and star citizen has reworked A LOT of the engine to where its almost its own.

BTT:

A lot of people tend to see cool and good looking demos of engines, especially UE4 and Unity since they're free but each engine comes with its restrictions and if you dont want to make what the engine was specifically made to do you're gonna have to rework a bunch of it anyways. At the same time having your own Engine gives you exact control over what features you have and where your focus is, no stuff that you dont need and all the things you do need while having the experts on the engine already in house if you need to add more things.

Imho is all related to "money" , using a 3d party engine would cost ED a fortune.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

it is not just money. As has been said already, ED required an engine that scales properly. Remember that DCS is very unlike any other game that would typically use Cryengine, Unreal engine or Unity... Those engines are good for what they are, but they are *not* tailored for flight simulators. They are tailored for most other genres (because they are more common).

So all in all a custom engine is in the long run the best thing for DCS since it does not waste resources for things that DCS doesn't have. Same with many other things... why build a custom racecar if you can just buy a regular sportscar from the store? Because the custom car is specifically made for its purpose; the specific type of racing it will do.

A bit off the side, a buddy of mine who does active software developement on Unity said that the base code only supports something like 10x10 km play area. Anything beyond that must be custom fitted and coded to work at all... I bet the other engines have similar restrictions as well. There is always a workaround, but it is never as good as a built-in feature.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

The Answer is that it's been Answered every-time someone posts asking why a specific engine isnt being used: GameWorks, PhysX, Unreal, Unity, Etc etc.

Search Function.

//Closed

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs