Observations from a hornet wrangler

twing

I spent 20 years working on these beautiful machines. The sim is wonderful but I have a couple of snivels. In ground communication the pilot calls the ground crew "chief" I'm assuming that he is referring to an airforce crew chief. In the Navy the only Chief what would be on the line/deck is the flight deck coordinator. Navy crew chiefs are called plane captain. Referred to as "Airman" or "brown/turd shirt"

Also, is there a way to change the modex on the aircraft? I finally figured out how to load the VFA-83 livery (my first sea going squadron! and the first to get lot 20's) and the modex should be in the 300 series.

Little things I know but DCS does such a great job with the rest of it, I want to help them get it "right"

The modex number can be changed either in the Mission Editor by clicking on the aircraft and typing the number in the "Tail #" field, or in-game by typing the number in the "Board Number" field in the rearming window after calling the ground crew for "Refuel and Rearm."

I'm sure you're knowledgeable on all the squadrons' modexes, but just in case, I've got a collection I've been researching on Google Sheets.

A little off topic but 5 fuel tanks? I guess some of them are empty because of the weight, right?

Waiting for Wags to repost this video and to ask what this Super Hornet (I assume?) is doing there :)

Edit: What is this thing on the front of the center fuel tank?

Edited by _e10

A little off topic but 5 fuel tanks? I guess some of them are empty because of the weight, right?

Waiting for Wags to repost this video and to ask what this Super Hornet (I assume?) is doing there :)

It's a tanker hornet. You can see the refueling drogue at 9:47. The little propeller at the front of the centerline fuel tank is, I'm guessing, for generating power.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Super Hornet in the Video is serving as a Tanker.

I believe the propeller on the front of the Tanking Pod is to power the Fuel Transfer Pump but I'm no expert.

Dealing with a 5 wet tanker was the biggest Pain In the Ass ever. They basically patched a 30 year old refueling pod to a brand new jet. The mechs in our squadron had a hell of a time keeping those pos pods up and running. Not to mention being the recovery tanker on the last recovery of the night. We'd be on the deck F O R E V E R waiting on that jet to land.

It drives a hydraulic pump which IIRC does indeed provide power for the fuel pump, as well as for extending/retracting the drogue.

Does it actually use Hydraulic Oil or does it use the fuel as the fluid? I know the MPRS pods for the KC-135 and WARP pods on the KC-10A both use the Fuel as the "Hydraulic" fluid to operate the system.

Quick question about the video...The guy filming does a "last chance" on the RIGHT side of the aircraft while it is chained down. As its being hooked up for the Cat Shot it looks like he checks many of the same things again on the LEFT side...is this so two different sets of eyes look over the same systems?

Sierra

Edited by Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Does it actually use Hydraulic Oil or does it use the fuel as the fluid? I know the MPRS pods for the KC-135 and WARP pods on the KC-10A both use the Fuel as the "Hydraulic" fluid to operate the system.

I found this: https://www.cobham.com/mission-systems/air-to-air-refuelling/hose-and-drogue-systems/buddy-refuelling-pods/31-300-buddy-store-datasheet/docview/

Looks like it uses hydraulic oil.

Quick question about the video...The guy filming does a "last chance" on the RIGHT side of the aircraft while it is chained down. As its being hooked up for the Cat Shot it looks like he checks many of the same things again on the LEFT side...is this so two different sets of eyes look over the same systems?

Sierra

That inspection actually gets done twice. Once before getting broken down for taxi and again n the slot. The slot adds final flight config, flight control movement and A/B selection based on weight and load out