F-18 vs F-16

Skyracer

And yet here you are... pretending to be a single seat fighter pilot in a flight sim game.... must not be all that bad. :joystick: :megalol::thumbup:

Guilty as charged, a game … for entertainment. But I'm not the one impugning the value of fellow Rated Officers as if my manhood depended on it.

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What is there to elaborate on? I never said otherwise.

Are you a lawyer also? What are the particulars of your combat time in F-16s. Your adoring fans, myself included, are dying to know! :helpsmilie:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are you a lawyer also? What are the particulars of your combat time in F-16s. Your adoring fans, myself included, are dying to know! :helpsmilie:

He flew them in the Air Force, He flew the Hornet in the Navy Reserve. Its really not that difficult to find out. Google is your friend.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I know Navs have bad eyesight and very little SA most of the time, but c'mon dude. It was posted in this thread and in the link YOU quoted.

I flew Block 30 Big Mouth SCU 7.1 jets with color displays and SADL. CCIP is not more advanced than the SCU jets, just a different software since it was developed by AATC for the Guard/Reserve units.

I also flew Block 42s with MMC 4.3 which is a later version than what's in the Eagle Dynamics F-16. What I haven't flown is SEAD and HTS.

I also flew the F/A-18 C and D models at VFA-106 and in the simulator at 204. Aside from the analog fuel gages, the software in the A+ is identical to the C models.

Twice as many assholes with half as much SA.

I don't know any self-respecting fighter pilot that's ever found himself in a situation and thought, "Man, a trunk monkey and less fuel/bombs/bullets would be great right about now." :lol:

Fighting talk, the single seat mafia has descended:D. Okay, you had it a little easy. Open sky's, medium altitude, plenty of time for sight seeing. If you went old school, low level, deep strike, moderately high threat, either you skip that beat or you tell 'R2' "Hey buddy, I'm sorry for calling you a glorified autopilot that dreams of being an actual pilot. I'm sorry for the time I traded you in for 1000lbs of fuel, a 4 pack of beer and a pizza. I can't live without you man, come back to me!". I've seen that low level route you flew 'Scariest flight of my career' (great video by the way). It was your first, but we'll gloss over that. Daylight, friendlies and a chaperone, now that's a cool breeze on a warm summers day compared to a Strike Eagle old school mission.

Runs for cover ducking, looking over his shoulder......;)

I know Navs have bad eyesight and very little SA most of the time, but c'mon dude. It was posted in this thread and in the link YOU quoted.

Jesus Chuck, I get you flew 16s … I was just asking about the combat time you logged. In the ANG? Reserves? SOUTHERN WATCH, OIF/OEF etc. If you don't care to expound, that's fine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighting talk, the single seat mafia has descended:D. Okay, you had it a little easy. Open sky's, medium altitude, plenty of time for sight seeing. If you went old school, low level, deep strike, moderately high threat, either you skip that beat or you tell 'R2' "Hey buddy, I'm sorry for calling you a glorified autopilot that dreams of being an actual pilot. I'm sorry for the time I traded you in for 1000lbs of fuel, a 4 pack of beer and a pizza. I can't live without you man, come back to me!". I've seen that low level route you flew 'Scariest flight of my career' (great video by the way). It was your first, but we'll gloss over that. Daylight, friendlies and a chaperone, now that's a cool breeze on a warm summers day compared to a Strike Eagle old school mission.

I've done the LOWAT ingress pop to drop dumb bombs and would still rather have the extra gas. :D

Although I will say it would've been nice to have someone do all the mission planning and talking on the radios on cross countries. :thumbup:

Jesus Chuck, I get you flew 16s … I was just asking about the combat time you logged. In the ANG? Reserves? SOUTHERN WATCH, OIF/OEF etc. If you don't care to expound, that's fine.

Don't play dumb now. You were trying to call me out because you thought you had something with the F-16N nonsense. AFRC OIF

A group of 6 F-16's look at a heavily loaded Strike Eagle fly past and think, "There goes the Gorilla Package".

The same could probably be said to some degree about the A-6 back in the day … THE bomb truck.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've done the LOWAT ingress pop to drop dumb bombs and would still rather have the extra gas. :D

Although I will say it would've been nice to have someone do all the mission planning and talking on the radios on cross countries. :thumbup:

If you were in school, you'd be in detention writing lines saying: "A backsitter is much more than a PA. They're with me to do more than take my calls and arrange meetings with the tanker".

Edited by Blaze1

Don't play dumb now. You were trying to call me out because you thought you had something with the F-16N nonsense. AFRC OIF

Chuck, I thought you had F-16N time as an aggressor in your past. I figured you probably did an exchange tour with the AD USAF or maybe you left the Navy and joined the Guard. You are a true Jack of All Trades … but gang load the oxygen man, nobody's calling you out. Unwind your panties pilot … :doh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I appreciate your service, but Mover is right. No low level ingress in bad guy country will change my mind. I would rather not have a WSO, on any day, in any fighter, on any mission. As Mover, said, I don’t know any self respecting fighter pilot who would want a WSO. Maybe back in the day things were different (you said you were in an A-6? You said you had time for it so I’m not sure), but today, that’s just how it is.

Edited by G B
Fix

You really have no idea, and apparently no respect for your fellow aviators and brothers in arms man. Where the hell is this vitriol coming from?

No hate and vitriol. Nothing but respect for those in uniform. Nothing was personal against any person.

Edited by G B
Fix.

So was the An/APG68 V5 the best Blk 50 radar being employed by 2007? where V6-V7 implemented by this time yet if the V9's weren't yet around in USAF service?

The Block 50s started out with the APG-68 V5 which would have been around circa 1992. I can't find a specific date on the V9 but given that there was a call to upgrade to the V10 in 2004, I'd imagine the V9s started around 2001/02. Here is a nice write-up and the APG-68 V9.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/systems/an-apg-68.htm

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

The Block 50s started out with the APG-68 V5 which would have been around circa 1992. I can't find a specific date on the V9 but given that there was a call to upgrade to the V10 in 2004, I'd imagine the V9s started around 2001/02. Here is a nice write-up and the APG-68 V9.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/systems/an-apg-68.htm

I also found this re V9

http://www.grumman.com/Capabilities/ANAPG68/Documents/APG68.pdf

So i guess ED is modelling the V5 because thats the one they have enough info on? ( is it worth noting this is the exact same radar that the F16C blk 50 CCIP had in that other game?) . Admittedly kinda a shame since that will mean no SAR mapping for the viper.

As another question how many blk 50 post CCIP circa 2007 were still actually flying with the APG68 V5 compared to newer iterations of the radar?

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

In UPT I was all about wanting to be in a single seat fighter. Everything in T-38s is supposed to make you fly with the single seat mentality. The thing I believe most single seat guys don't realize is that in the strike eagle, you still fly with that same mentality, you just have another crew member who manages the avionics, bombs, tpod, and backs you up. Single seat fighters generally have a hard time doing two things at once, whereas a strike eagle can have the pilot operating A2A radar keeping track of all the threats in the AO while the WSO is following a talk-on from a JTAC (current swing-role OIR ops.) It's also nice for an interdiction style of flight where I can go off target, run short range radar to target a threat on the egress and shoot, all while the WSO is lasing in a bomb. Single seater can theoretically do all those things, it just won't be as good.

The f16 has an awesome cockpit with a Much better HOTAS system. As a bonus the stick is identical(almost) to the warthog stick.

It can carry 8 Mavericks which is even more than the a10 and twice as many as the f18. But the f18 can carry twice as many missiles.

I base this on our current f18, which could improve, and the f16 in falcon bms.

Don't compare the real viper to that of the other sim. The real viper can not carry 8 mavericks.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

I also found this re V9

http://www.grumman.com/Capabilities/ANAPG68/Documents/APG68.pdf

So i guess ED is modelling the V5 because thats the one they have enough info on? ( is it worth noting this is the exact same radar that the F16C blk 50 CCIP had in that other game?) . Admittedly kinda a shame since that will mean no SAR mapping for the viper.

As another question how many blk 50 post CCIP circa 2007 were still actually flying with the APG68 V5 compared to newer iterations of the radar?

No SAR is a shame. :(

As for how many. I believe ED also said they were modeling the F-16C Blk 50 used by the Air National Guard in 2007. I don't know how systems are allocated between AD, Reserves and Guard but I'm not too surprised if Guard units are using older radars (still using the V5 radar in 2007) while the Active Duty squadrons have all the latest bells and whistles on their Vipers. Plus ED not being able to get all the fine details on the newer versions of the APG-68.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

In UPT I was all about wanting to be in a single seat fighter. Everything in T-38s is supposed to make you fly with the single seat mentality.

That's interesting.

Again, I'm a civilian and I'm not familiar with the UPT process or how it prepares pilot's, so I'm approaching this with a different mindset I guess. Completely ignoring the whole flying with a WSO angle, the F-15E is a fantastic jet, it does air-to-air, air-to-ground, can employ a wide range of weapons and has a great avionics suite to play with. I would have thought that made it a highly sought after appointment. So does that mean after a pilot goes through UPT, despite the F-15E being an incredible jet, it would generally come lower down this list of planes to fly, than the Raptor, F-16, F-15C now the F-35 and perhaps even the A-10 (not sure if the A-10 fits in here though)?