Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

VR goggle options

Joker69

Hi to everyone.. till today I've flown with a monitor + TrackIR solution. A great 34" monitor with 144-165 Hz and G-Sync. Now I'm ready to buy a VR goggle, I tried it and it's simply amazing. In one word You are NOT looking at DCS in a monitor.. You ARE IN DCS. :pilotfly:

I've heard something about Oculus Rift S that is almost out, probably in few days. The actual RIFT is out of stock in the web site. So is this a great products according to Your opinion? Any other option? Suggestions? I have no experience in VR so I ask for more informations... the only one thing I know is that I'll buy absolutely for sure a VR goggle in the next few days.. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/139168989452694/about/

ASUS ROG - TM Hotas Warthog - TM Hotas Cougar - TM F-18 Grip - Oculus Rift S - Track IR 5

What % of your gamming time do expend playing DCS ? What other games do you play ?

Valve Index and Rift S are gonna be nice VR devices, the best for gamers, but for flight simmers, if you have a beffy PC, and your IPD is in the average, HP Reverb seems to be the best option, and it's suppoed to launch on April.

I play with Rift now, and I'm inside DCS, but with a little burred vision. In other games it doesn't matter to me, but in DCS for instrumens and spoting/identifying planes, it would be amazing to see it sharper.

Edited by cercata

Gonna be some nice options here in the next couple of months.

Rift S would certainly be good and likely easy to get set up and play without too much effort.

Upcoming HP Reverb and Valve Index are looking very nice, but would also need powerful PC to get best experience with them for what we do.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

First of all thank You for Your message CERCATA. :thumbup:

Well I only have simulators in my PC. I own almost all Modules of DCS World. I prefer combact flight simulators. I use even X-Plane 11 but only for small civilian airplanes, just to try the experience I can fly even in real world. I use even ArmA 3 but this is a "land simulator" not a "flight simulator".

I spend a lot of time in DCS wich is my favourite SIM and a priority for me. I use TM Warthog with it. My PC is a top one from Asus ROG with a 8 Gb GPU Card. However if it couldn't work with VR I'll upgrade it for sure. In the 34" monitor solution I use high settings for every option in DCS and I have always FPS between 40 and 100 FPS.

In my VR test I noticed the same thing You say in the last part of Your message. But my experience is not too much in VR expecially in settings.

For sure I'm not a gamers but I'm a simmers. My personal policy is the same of DCS World... that is try to emulate the real life of this wonderful world.

Edited by Joker69°

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS ROG - TM Hotas Warthog - TM Hotas Cougar - TM F-18 Grip - Oculus Rift S - Track IR 5

In my VR test I noticed the same thing You say in the last part of Your message. But my experience is not too much in VR expecially in settings.

It's not a settings problem ...

When you are on VR, then what you see it's like 9 times bigger than in a monitor, it's like if you had 9 monitors stacked 3x3. So for seeing it as sharp as in a monitor, you would need 9 times more pixels.

Also you need higher FPS ... you notice much more low FPS.

So on VR, we measure resolution like in human eye vision, in PPD (Pixels per degree).

Then the PPD are a function of the screen resolution and FOV (Field of View).

For car sims, I thing I'd prefer wider FOV than the almost standard 110º diagonal FOV we have on most actual HMDs.

But for flight sims, I would stick with 110º FOV, and increase PPD.

Until HP Reverb launches this month, no one has tryed it with DCS, but I guess that with a good graphics card will be a game changer. Still not as sharp as in monitor, but awesome.

What graphics card will be needed ? We'll see ...

So, in your case, I think HP Reverb is the best option.

Anyway Rift is out of stock, and Valve Index doesn't launch until June, so wait for feedback on DCS+Reverb

Edited by cercata

Gonna be some nice options here in the next couple of months.

Rift S would certainly be good and likely easy to get set up and play without too much effort.

Upcoming HP Reverb and Valve Index are looking very nice, but would also need powerful PC to get best experience with them for what we do.

Yes.. I planned to wait till the end of may to buy a VR goggles but only if interesting products will be released. Not beyond may.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes.. I planned to wait till the end of may to buy a VR goggles but only if interesting products will be released. Not beyond may.

Very interesting what are You writing.

So to better understand let's imagine that no other products will be released in the market. What kind of option do You thing is better for DCS? Just to let me see and read the product specifics.

So We know in the next 2 months will be released some products and we should see what the market will offer. In hte case of Oculus Rift S I've seen it's a 2.560x1440 resolution. It is correct?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Of the actual products, I'd recommend Samsung Oddysey or Oddysey+

So We know in the next 2 months will be released some products and we should see what the market will offer. In hte case of Oculus Rift S I've seen it's a 2.560x1440 resolution. It is correct?

Yes, 1440p but LCD, that has RGB subpixel pattern, and gives sharper image than other panels with 1600p but PENTILE OLED displays, like Oddysey or VIVE PRO.

Edited by cercata

Yes, 1440p but LCD, that has RGB subpixel pattern, and gives sharper image than other panels with 1600p but PENTILE OLED displays, like Oddysey or VIVE PRO.

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Best option right now is to wait until May when the upcoming headsets will be released, or at least unveiled with full specs.

Right now we have the Rift S coming soon, and HP Reverb with very high resolution screens. There's also new headset from Valve for which preorders will start on 1st May and new HTC Vive headset. We don't know the specs and pricing of the latter two.

Rift S will be relatively cheap and hassle free option with moderate system requirements, so may be a good choice for a first headset. Samsung Odyssey headsets are hard to buy in Europe, you have to find used ones or import one yourself.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Ok.. the timing for buying a VR device is may as I imagined.

So from now to that period we should look for as much informatioms as we can.

Above all we need to know the relative PC hardware for the 3 best VR options.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Best option right now is to wait until May when the upcoming headsets will be released, or at least unveiled with full specs.

Right now we have the Rift S coming soon, and HTC Reverb with very high resolution screens. There's also new headset from Valve for which preorders will start on 1st May and new HTC Vive headset. We don't know the specs and pricing of the latter two.

Rift S will be relatively cheap and hassle free option with moderate system requirements, so may be a good choice for a first headset. Samsung Odyssey headsets are hard to buy in Europe, you have to find used ones or import one yourself.

Slight correction, it is HP Reverb not HTC.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

IMO Rift S looks the best entry level option, but there are some cheeky looking higher end devices coming along too. Best wait for a few weeks and observe.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Copy! When we talk about HP Reverb VR we mean this?

My budget for VR is from $ 400 to $ 600 but if I find a real best option I can even go upper with price. In my VR test what my eyes has seen is priceless if compared to the emotions.

So in the next days I’ll look for news about VR and I’ll keep my credit card with “Master Arm” in the ON Position.. ;-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I got my Rift when they first came out, so I paid full whack for it. I considered it to be the same sort of purchase as a new TV and have zero regrets that I didn't wait until the price fell, it's been worth every penny. Best to wait and see what comes out and also match it to your PC specs as well, although when I first got the Rift I started with a GTX970, then went to a GTX1070 before the RTX2080, so your intended upgrade path should also be a factor in the decision. We are living in great times for sim gaming.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

I got my Rift when they first came out, so I paid full whack for it. I considered it to be the same sort of purchase as a new TV and have zero regrets that I didn't wait until the price fell, it's been worth every penny. Best to wait and see what comes out and also match it to your PC specs as well, although when I first got the Rift I started with a GTX970, then went to a GTX1070 before the RTX2080, so your intended upgrade path should also be a factor in the decision. We are living in great times for sim gaming.

Same here, I am with you there. I also paid full initial price and do not have any regrets at all, have gotten more than my money's worth.

Don B

Yes I agree with You, John Hargreaves, I think in the next days we can update this discussion with news from the market. I confirm that are great days for flight simulation world. The upgrade of DCS from 1.5 and 2.0 to arrive to 2.5 is something incredible. Now that GPUs can help us to have a great simulation experience and DCS World is upgrading each week I think the VR is now a must. The next 2 months a lot of products will be released.

So we have to stay tuned. I've tested VR with other products some time ago but when I tried DCS in VR, last week, was simply without words. Opening my eyes and finding myself inside an F-18 in a Carrier, real dimensions, the cockpit around me, Persian Gulf around me.. everithing was incredible. The same second I saw all this I decided to buy a VR goggle.

So thank You to all for the support in this VR evolution. :thumbup:

Edited by Joker69°

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I got my hands on a second hand Rift consumer version 1 (CV1) only 2 months ago knowing full well that better technology is just around the corner but I have no regrets.

It's a bucket load of fun, at least it was until my RTX packed it in recently.

It's certainly enough to keep me going till I get my card replaced and have a chance to look at the HP Reverb and at least the specs of Valve's new cosmos too (on the 1st of May)

Not yet ruling out the Pimax 5k+ either. Seems to be too demanding to run at the full field of vision however by all accounts it's pretty spectacular at 130 degrees lateral field of vision. I've still got a pretty sore neck from clearing my six while going toe to toe with some baddass bandits.

The Pimax wider FOV may become more realistic when DCS gets optimised for VR in the medium term future.

Certainly thought pixels per degree seem to be highest in the HP Reverb. The remaining question of course is whether or not running 4.6 million pixels in one GPU from the year 2019 is possible. We'll soon find out.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

I got my hands on a second hand Rift consumer version 1 (CV1) only 2 months ago knowing full well that better technology is just around the corner but I have no regrets.

It's a bucket load of fun, at least it was until my RTX packed it in recently.

It's certainly enough to keep me going till I get my card replaced and have a chance to look at the HP Reverb and at least the specs of Valve's new cosmos too (on the 1st of May)

Not yet ruling out the Pimax 5k+ either. Seems to be too demanding to run at the full field of vision however by all accounts it's pretty spectacular at 130 degrees lateral field of vision. I've still got a pretty sore neck from clearing my six while going toe to toe with some baddass bandits.

The Pimax wider FOV may become more realistic when DCS gets optimised for VR in the medium term future.

Certainly thought pixels per degree seem to be highest in the HP Reverb. The remaining question of course is whether or not running 4.6 million pixels in one GPU from the year 2019 is possible. We'll soon find out.

What cooler are you running on the 7700k ? I'm considering upgrading to one at the stock clock as well .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I gave up hopes on DCS getting optimized on VR...

We hear about switiching from DirectX to Vulkan for ages... and for ages we didn't get any update on this. I don't think it is easy for ED to pull off, but in my opinion VR optimization should be number one priority for ED before spending ressources on anything else.

Since the CV1 came out, I think VERY FEW users here, if any, claimed to have top settings with top performance or at least close to it, while other sims (flying and racing) get much better results. (IL2, Asetto Corsa, prepar3d, ...)

I understand it is not an easy task, but I am disappointed that there has not been word for a long time about focusing on VR optimizations.

The neckbreaker was definitely when they took away the option to turn off "Deferred Shading". Having it ON per hardcoding was a huuuuge performance hit in VR and nobody was happy about it.

Edited by TheSauvaaage

What cooler are you running on the 7700k ? I'm considering upgrading to one at the stock clock as well .

Hi,

I'm Running a Noctura NH-U14S Fan only. I considered doing some CPU overclocking down the track but I haven't seen the justification as yet, perhaps that will change when the HMD is upgraded but I find simplicity appealing. It's a monster fan and takes up a lot of space but seems to be doing the job well.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

I gave up hopes on DCS getting optimized on VR...

We hear about switiching from DirectX to Vulkan for ages... and for ages we didn't get any update on this. I don't think it is easy for ED to pull off, but in my opinion VR optimization should be number one priority for ED before spending ressources on anything else.

Since the CV1 came out, I think VERY FEW users here, if any, claimed to have top settings with top performance or at least close to it, while other sims (flying and racing) get much better results. (IL2, Asetto Corsa, prepar3d, ...)

I understand it is not an easy task, but I am disappointed that there has not been word for a long time about focusing on VR optimizations.

The neckbreaker was definitely when they took away the option to turn off "Deferred Shading". Having it ON per hardcoding was a huuuuge performance hit in VR and nobody was happy about it.

Ye of little faith, I know everyone is impatient for these things, I get it but the expectations that ED exceeded so far in what they have delivered lends itself to me trusting them to stick to their word. besides WAGS is on the record for having bought at least a Samsung Odyssey + and a Pimax 5K+, I doubt very much that he would simply try them out say that it's all too hard and walk away.

Ye of little faith, I know everyone is impatient for these things, I get it but the expectations that ED exceeded so far in what they have delivered lends itself to me trusting them to stick to their word. besides WAGS is on the record for having bought at least a Samsung Odyssey + and a Pimax 5K+, I doubt very much that he would simply try them out say that it's all too hard and walk away.

Everything else ED has done is awesome! DCS itself including the modules, the maps, the planes and their systems...

I am only referring to the VR topic and as others have stated, I also think that ED simply has no idea how to optimize VR to a level where other games already are.

So yeah, I lost faith, but I am always ready for a surprise and at least I would be ready for a "current state" about VR performance optimization.

So, is correct to say that in the next 2 months we all should stay tuned on news from these VR devices? Any other to put in list?

- Oculus Rift S

- HTC Vive

- HP Reverb

- Samsung Odyssey

- Pimax 5K

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]