Radar Beamwidth

Neor

Hi, the Radar is not using the right Beamwidth of 3.3° https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=192382

One Example

I have used the numbers from one of Wags videos. (picture)

converting in meters

hight of the plane 19620 ft > 5980 m

distance of cursor 73,2 nm > 135566 m

beam 3,3° x 4 > 13,2° (4-bar scan)

Radar Cursor

50k ft > 15240 m

-11k ft > -3353 m

now i have used the numbers in CAD (because im lazy :lol: )

and the result is a 7.8° scan instead of 13.2° (in a 4-bar scan for this example)

Numbers are divided by 100 for better handling in CAD

1533015446_Bild11_04.19um11_34.thumb.jpg.f9063bef061a7d0044b6ae3583eb63b9.jpg

1374157713_Bild11_04.19um11_43.jpg.d29ef52e8253044a5b7131f30ec73bd8.jpg

Is the beamwidth you have used for azimuth or elevation? (not clear from the posting you have referenced) - about 20 years since I have modelled any radar systems so I am very rusty

Edited by hornblower793

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

The radar sends the signal like a cone if I'm understanding it right. This cone should have a 3.3° diameter dashed circle.

its the same cone like when Boresight (BST) acquisition sub-mode is selected.

Ive got no idea how the real radar works or should work, so im just guessing here; maybe each bar overlaps slightly thus resulting in a smaller volume. What happens if you do a 1 bar search and run the same calculations?

I remember setting radar to 1 bar puts the upper and lower limit to the same value (probably not correct). But if what Cp said is true, then using 2 bars should NOT result in half the covered altitude from 4 bars, since it then has only 1 overlap instead of 3.

fetch?filedataid=261737&type=full

Having had a quick look around the Internet I have found other sites stating that the vertical beam width is about 2 degrees. Below extracted from http://vnfa2.tripod.com/FA-18_Radar.html

• Antenna Elevation - Vertical (height) scan of the radar antenna based on the number of bars selected. One bar is equal to about 2° of vertical scan. As you add more bars (up to 6-bars in F/A-18 Hornet), you add an additional 2° per bar, up to 12° of vertical scan volume. The figure below depicts a 4-bar scan.

Cannot comment on whether this information is accurate but it agrees with the figure you have calculated

Edited by hornblower793

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Having had a quick look around the Internet I have found other site stating that the vertical beam width is about 2 degrees. Below extracted from http://vnfa2.tripod.com/FA-18_Radar.html

• Antenna Elevation - Vertical (height) scan of the radar antenna based on the number of bars selected. One bar is equal to about 2° of vertical scan. As you add more bars (up to 6-bars in F/A-18 Hornet), you add an additional 2° per bar, up to 12° of vertical scan volume. The figure below depicts a 4-bar scan.

Cannot comment on whether this information is accurate but it agrees with the figure you have calculated

ok, that explains it very good.

if the 2° is true, then it makes totally sense.

and it also means, there is some overlapping between the bars...

Edited by Neor

Just as a note, beamwidth typically refers to the half power (-3dB) width of the main lobe. The lobe extends beyond this. Exactly how much depends on the antenna design.

Here's an illustration that shows the principle:

fig7b.gif

Haha! Looks like something that could have been drawn on the wall of a public restroom! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

There is definitely something in this, wrong beam width or something, contacts not showing on F18 radar. I've flown in MP / SRS with F15s close formation before, they're shouting out contacts at 10, 12 , 2 o clock etc. I'm like what contacts? … in high, medium and intermittent modes, 40nm, 80nm, 160nm, azi high and low, 80 and 140 degrees sweep. They're like, you not see the contacts. The radar works, but no-where near as reliable as say F15, SU or M2K etc

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

There is definitely something in this, wrong beam width or something, contacts not showing on F18 radar. I've flown in MP / SRS with F15s close formation before, they're shouting out contacts at 10, 12 , 2 o clock etc. I'm like what contacts? … in high, medium and intermittent modes, 40nm, 80nm, 160nm, azi high and low, 80 and 140 degrees sweep. They're like, you not see the contacts. The radar works, but no-where near as reliable as say F15, SU or M2K etc

Not saying whether the Bug's radar is right or wrong, but 2 of those planes are not modelled to the same level and possibly have over effective systems