Slaw Device RX Viper V2 Rudder Pedals

1 hour ago, inexus said:

I got my slaw pedals a few days ago. Very cool. I need to fasten them to a board or something so they don't move. Pushing the pedals moves them backwards while braking makes them kind of tilt forward. I tried to use velcro but it isn't strong enough. 

Now, I installed a damper but the pedals won't recenter by themselves any longer. I'm not sure if it's because the damper I bought is bad and the pressure even on the lowest setting is pretty tough to make it move. Any ideas? Do I need to strengthen the centre spring? 

ps: I haven't told my wife how much they cost... 😉 

I havent tried this yet, but you should be able to adjust the tension of the main spring.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

@inexus I have attached mine to my Monstertech flight stand with pedal extension. The provided slot nuts and screws hold everything in place perfectly tight - that means braking with confidence. Prior to that I had a self-made, low-profile, stand alone aluminum rig made of 5 profiles. I also used slot nuts and screws to secure everything. Here are some pictures in case you want to see how it looks - and don't mind the messy cable "management" 😄 

231853461_1143129349503913_8440456180694684193_n.jpg

20210915_225948.jpg

Edited by ZeeMan90
Added missing user reference.
  • Like 1

Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming WiFi | Intel i7-13700K | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Elite | 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-600 | MSI RTX 3080 12GB | Seasonic TX-850 | 2x Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung EVO 860 1TB | Samsung EVO 870 4 TB | Acer XB241H | Win 11 Pro x64 | Røde NT-USB | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Edition 250Ω | Logitech G502 Proteus RGB | Corsair K70 | Corsair MM300 PRO | TM Warthog Throttle | VIRPIL WarBRD w/ Warthog grip | VIRPIL VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base w/ VIRPIL MongoosT-50CM2 grip | VIRPIL MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Mk. IV Ultimate | SLAW Device Viper RX v2 | Winwing VIPER MIP | Track IR 5 & TrackClipPRO 

Wow, that's an extensive setup. I got monstertech to attach my warthog hotas/joystick to my table. I will go back and check their website to see what else they sell. 

I was thinking of buying a timber plate and drill a couple of holes in it to fixate the pedals 🙂 

• Like 1

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

Heres mine on a wheelstand pro. Yeah I had to modify a few things to get it to fit, but not a whole lot.

IMG_0852.JPG

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

• 2 weeks later...

with this setup don't you end up without the ability to rest your heels on the ground?

For the monstertech setup I assume people would rest their heels on the rails supporting the pedals. 

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone using a cover for when they're not in use?

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

not me, no..they're already hard to reach, no need to tear my back out.

My wallpaper and skins

• 1 month later...

I really love my slaw, but I find the spring loading to be very hard to use them with using full ruder right or left while near the centre it’s very light. 

Does anybody know if there is any way to anything about this is that’s just the way spring loaded rudders work? I tried to add a damper but this require further tension on the spring in order to make it centre. 

• Like 1

have you tried relieving spring tension?

• Like 1

My wallpaper and skins

50 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

have you tried relieving spring tension?

If I do that it would not stay centered when not using the pedals because the spring will be too loose. 

• Like 1

Try a more aggressive cam. Ive thought about doing that myself as I have a hard time locating center with the damper on..I havent yet because I havent flown in a few months, but thats the plan.

My wallpaper and skins

• 3 months later...
15 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Seems the RX Viper V2 Rudder Pedals will be out of production indefinitely, but I just ordered a pair of the RH Rotors.

Looking for dampers, does anybody have a link to some that they can vouch for?

Cheers!

You might contact Milan at MFG. He sells damper kits now for the Crosswinds , he might be willing to sell you just a couple of dampers. They work great on my Crosswinds.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

you can find dampers on amazon all day long for 35 bucks. I had this one installed in both my crosswinds and my slaw.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NNBDN4D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

My wallpaper and skins

I'm using an Amazon damper on my Slaw Vipers. 

• Like 1

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Thanks guys! Been looking at Ebay, and I think I've found the correct ones. I was just a little worried because I've read about leaks. So if anyone had a specific brand to recommend, that what was I really was asking about. But I'll take my changes.
No for the hardest part. What colour!

Anyways, I now know that the Viper V3 will actually be released later this year, so I'm gonna go for those as well. And if anybody has the same plans, and you wish the get them with the original F-16 design, headover to the Facebook page and let them know!
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

edit: updated to avoid confusion 🙂 

I bought a second damper, to replace the first one I tried, and installed now for use with the DCS Apache. So I detatched the centre spring. 

Now the damper is causing sticktion to the rudder. So making minor adjustments is a pain which is a deal breaker with the apache such as for take off or hovering... 

Any recommendations for how to solve this? Any sort of oil or similar to use for the damper to make it move more smoothly? It's smooth once moving but it's simply to first get it moving that feels 'sticky' 

Edited by inexus
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, inexus said:

I bought a second damper and installed now for use with the DCS Apache. So I detatched the centre spring. 

Now the damper is causing sticktion to the rudder. So making minor adjustments is a pain which is a deal breaker with the apache such as for take off or hovering... 

Any recommendations for how to solve this? Any sort of oil or similar to use for the damper to make it move more smoothly? It's smooth once moving but it's simply to first get it moving that feels 'sticky' 

you have..2 dampers on your slaws?

• Like 1

My wallpaper and skins

No, no  🙂 🙂 🙂

I bought a damper several months ago. I found with it on that it was so stiff - even on the lowest setting - that the pedals couldn't center by themselves any longer. So I returned them. 

Now I bought a new damper to try again, and this time it seems more soft on the lowest setting. I removed the centre spring and now I just find that the damper make the rudders 'stick' so that when I want to make small adjustments in the Apache it is very difficult. 

I've read many people rave about how fantastic and realistic it is to add a damper but so far I haven't found it is so fantastic. I don't know if I'm just unlucky twice with the damper that I bought... 

• Like 1

You should also be aware that the electronics on these pedals are self-calibrating. That is, when the computer is turned on or when the pedals are connected, the center position is automatically set. The physical position in which the pedals are at the time of connection will be taken by the electronics as the center position. And if the pedals are not in the center position because you removed the mainspring, the pedals will be out of calibration.
Simply put, for the pedal electronics to work properly, the pedals must return to their center position on their own.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, inexus said:

I've read many people rave about how fantastic and realistic it is to add a damper but so far I haven't found it is so fantastic. I don't know if I'm just unlucky twice with the damper that I bought... 

The quality of those cheap aliexpress dampers is hit or miss. The first one I got was almost stuck and the regulation quickly fell off. The second is OK, but I still have to put a bit of grease on the shaft and the ball joint from time to time, to avoid sticky feel. 

• Like 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I'm happy with the generic Amazon damper. I will say my Vipers won't entirely center even on the lowest setting but choose maybe 97%. I run it a few settings up to be a bit stiffer.

• Like 1

Specs & Wishlist:

I posted a link to a damper I bought off amazon, I wonder where it went to....

oh yeah, 10 posts up. I get the feeling the search function is a dying fad? Probably save a lot of heartache for the web devs by removing the search function seeing as how its useless around here.

• Like 1

My wallpaper and skins

On 4/16/2022 at 2:13 AM, inexus said:

No, no  🙂 🙂 🙂

I bought a damper several months ago. I found with it on that it was so stiff - even on the lowest setting - that the pedals couldn't center by themselves any longer. So I returned them. 

Now I bought a new damper to try again, and this time it seems more soft on the lowest setting. I removed the centre spring and now I just find that the damper make the rudders 'stick' so that when I want to make small adjustments in the Apache it is very difficult. 

the whole point of the dampers is to keep the pedals from returning to center under spring tension and to remove some of the slop with micro adjustments - like when you release your left foot on the pedal and you get a little bit of stiction and you get a lot of unwanted micro adjustments instead of one smooth push/pull. Honestly I feel like I can do without the damper myself; really good pedals dont have that problem seeing as how they're on frictionless bearings and cams.

• Like 1

My wallpaper and skins