Basic Question from a Newb

Plainsman

How do I start a "create a mission" or "instant action" while flying WWII aircraft and be opposed by other WWWII aircraft? Every time I try to start a single player mission with WWII aircraft I am immediately blown out of the sky by an F-16 or another more advanced aircraft. How do I run instant action or create a mission only against aircraft of the same era? How do I select the aircraft AI that will oppose me so I don't have an instant mismatch?

• Like 1

Thank you for all of your responses. I've been in the mission editor but did not see where to change the enemy planes. I'm not sure where the mission editor "manual" is located. I will go back in again and try to find this but DCS seems unnecessarily non-intuitive.

Thank you for all of your responses. I've been in the mission editor but did not see where to change the enemy planes. I'm not sure where the mission editor "manual" is located. I will go back in again and try to find this but DCS seems unnecessarily non-intuitive.

Open the main DCS file path. The Manual is in a folder there. Same with all aircraft manuals.

For the Editor you click on the red planes which kinda look like a red gumdrop. Select those with the mouse, it will pull up the aircraft information and you can change the type with a drop down menue.

I'm not sure where the mission editor "manual" is located. I will go back in again and try to find this but DCS seems unnecessarily non-intuitive.

The official Manual is quite dated and the Mission Editor chapter isnt very newbie friendly ... may I suggest this couple of videos from Spudknocker, instead of the manual?

B6hEi-fVQbc

PmxpAvhQYmU

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Download from the USER FILES

You can also look up USER FILES in this excellent website. Download the ones you want involving WWII aircraft, and waalaaa - you're ready to go!

ChuckIV

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." Winston Churchill

SYSTEM:

Processor - Intel® Core i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz 3600MHz water-cooled

Installed memory (RAM) - 32.0 GB

64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Windows 10 & DCS on SSD

Video Card - water-cooled NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Internet: Cable 200Mbps 12Mbps

Thank you, everyone, especially ChuckIV, KTFBGB, and Rudel_Chw. DCS is definitely not newb friendly or friendly to people who only have 60-90 minutes a month, about 20 minutes per weekend, to spend with this sim. I've purchased all of the DCS terrains and several modules but don't have much time due to work, family, and other hobbies.

Quick update: The videos suggested by Rudel were the most helpful. Unfortunately, setting up a mission is way too time consuming. I prefer instant action/instant mission due to time constraints, and I like WWII or Korean War era air combat. The problem with DCS is the inability to play instant mission with your WWII plane being opposed only by other WWII planes.

I'm going to stick with IL-Sturmovik/Moscow/Kuban/Bodenplatte and Wings Over the Reich. I appreciate everyone trying to help me. I'll get my occasional contemporary jet combat fix and come back to DCS if and when they come out with Modern Air Combat which is a year overdue. For now, I can't spend any more money on DCS modules and terrains.

Edited by Plainsman

I don't have any WW2 planes, but can't you just click Create Fast Mission?

That's what I do. Instant mission with pretty much everything thrown in.

Sounds like He’s not really into sims anyway. He just listed a bunch of arcade style flying games.

• 11 months later...
Sounds like He’s not really into sims anyway. He just listed a bunch of arcade style flying games.

Arcade vs. sim vs. something in-between is irrelevant. Those categories have to do more with flight dynamics more than anything else. I'm referring to setting up a mission. There should be a way to easily set up a single player me against one or many mission where I choose the aircraft that I oppose. There were sims from years past, legit sims, where setting up the kind of instant battle required only a couple of mouse clicks. I don't understand why with planes of all eras, DCS doesn't make it simple for the single-player to set up an instant mission with era-specific aircraft. I don't really care how complex the flight dynamics will be. I just want getting into the action to be simplified for people who can't take the time to find and study the manual. That would help to grow the audience.

Took me a whole year to find time to come back to this sim. I've forgotten stuff already.

• Thanks 1

I agree Plainsman... Setting the Era for instant action would be awesome.

What I recommend would be something like the WWII "Inferno" mission. It's a PvE sandbox style mission where you can spawn A2G and A2A missions and just fly around and do stuff until you get bored.

• Thanks 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Thank you, everyone, especially ChuckIV, KTFBGB, and Rudel_Chw. DCS is definitely not newb friendly or friendly to people who only have 60-90 minutes a month, about 20 minutes per weekend, to spend with this sim. I've purchased all of the DCS terrains and several modules but don't have much time due to work, family, and other hobbies.

With all kinds of respect but..... I think 20 minutes/weekend isn't enough time to even master your plane of choice, let alone creating a mission and play it.

DCS is a hobby that consumes a lot of your time, period :pilotfly:

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Yeah, this is my wish also. It takes surprise away if I have to use Mission Editor for changing plane to something in WW2.

The feeling I got when I cold start the Bf 109 and check the kneeboard where the enemy planes are sighted, rotate the compass on correct angle and maybe use clock to calculate time for a trip... No GPS or flyight computers, I have to watch and use landmarks for navigation, "Hey, I know that lake!"

I wonder if I could do this myself. If I make 2 identical missions where is only 1 enemy plane but in different positions. Then I find the differences on these files (=position of the enemy) and change it "randomly"?

20 hours ago, =36=Witcher said:

You may want to take a look at Briefing Room for DCS, a little gem that can create a mission quickly but with a lot of customization. Just generate it outside of DCS, save it in the DCS Saved Games folder and fly. You'll also get a nice spoiler-free briefing.

Huge thanks! I just tried it and this is great! 

Strangely my plane Bf 109 K-4 was not on Briefing Room's plane list, but I changed it in game's Mission Editor before starting it. Gotta test more, this is huge!

28 minuti fa, jussi ha scritto:

Huge thanks! I just tried it and this is great! 

Strangely my plane Bf 109 K-4 was not on Briefing Room's plane list, but I changed it in game's Mission Editor before starting it. Gotta test more, this is huge!

Well, just open an issue in their github repo! The developer is quite active, he will address it eventually