F18 radar elevation

FoxDelta

project finished

Starting to draw a F18 radar elevation wheel for the THRUSTMASTER WARTHOG HOTAS.

at the end it should be

- selfcentering, springloaded

- designed to have two micro buttons soldered to the right lever^s cooliehat next to its slew control

- easy mountable

- easy to print

105016567_rdrelev.JPG.69332d246588a5e10edf338bc297721f.JPG

Edited by FoxDelta
  • Like 1

STL files for download

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dctsac67egwlzzk/AADQRie7ggOyvsE54mQnepWda?dl=0

DISCLAIMER: appplying this MOD will definately VOID your WARRANTY, be aware!

all parts are again divided into "EVERYONE can print that" parts, so u should have no troubles printing them,

no supports needed, i used PLA.

I own a GEEETECH A10 which is quite good for its price.

u will have to use a seperate usb board or just solder those 4x4mm buttons to one of the warthog s coolie hats, u can use the standard directions 90° then u will need two yellow and 1 orange and 1 brown cable, if u want to use the 45° just solder two more coloured cables to the buttons, 45° directions are registered when two buttons(yes those coolie hats just use 4 buttons) are pressed at the same time.

UPDATE Nopileus was so kind to post his solution for the 45° soldering

If anyone wants to get this working with the coolie hat diagonals you will need a couple diodes between the hat switches.

Without this trying to wire it as suggested by FoxDelta would leave the hat unable to work in the four main directions, you'll always get a diagonal no matter what you press.

As for the Microswitches for the elevation rocker, i used Omron B3F-1022 which require only 1.47N of force to press so you don't need a lot of pressure to hold it depressed but still get a nice little click.

There is an even lighter 0.98N variant in the B3F-1020, but i imagine you lose even more tactility at that point.

Lastly i suggest to not use the cheapest print service you can find, my parts didn't turn out terribly great and the manufacturer hid the defect side of the rocker part in the photos i had to sign off on before shipping, luckily ABS is easy to rework :music_whistling:

for the springs i used a rollerpen s , u will need some screws, which i got from an old harddrive and other parts i am sure u will find some applicable.

u will have two drill two holes into the sidecover for the buttons/wiring and another two for screws into the levers sideplate

i am not a professional constructor , i used FUSION360.

u might have to cut some parts for better fitting, mine fitted quite well

do well

NOTE: Federschieber.stl needs to be printed twice

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=LT5HG625K52DA&source=url

if someone wants to sponsor my next projects filament:music_whistling:

video showing functionality

Edited by FoxDelta

Sorry if I'm a bit dense, how is this supposed to work? Will it replace functionality on the WH throttle?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

F18 radar elevation

I’m interested, but I’d rather run the wires from it to a Bodnar board or something else, so as not to lose functionality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

I'm looking forward to this. Looks nice.

Quick questions/hints:

- Is the Radar Elevation on the F-18 or F16 just a button or rather an analog axis?

- Does this wheel create enough leverage to comfortable activate the tactile button?

- Could a limit switch with a lever-activation be better suited?

I guess this will be wired to a I/O Board of choosing?

Thanks

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Sorry if I'm a bit dense, how is this supposed to work? Will it replace functionality on the WH throttle?

it will be combined with the cooliehat so up and down on the cooliehat will be triggered by this wheel/buttons, so hte cooliehat remains fully functional for other modules

I’m interested, but I’d rather run the wires from it to a Bodnar board or something else, so as not to lose functionality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

u can of course, but i won t , see above

I'm looking forward to this. Looks nice.

Quick questions/hints:

- Is the Radar Elevation on the F-18 or F16 just a button or rather an analog axis?

- Does this wheel create enough leverage to comfortable activate the tactile button?

- Could a limit switch with a lever-activation be better suited?

I guess this will be wired to a I/O Board of choosing?

Thanks

as far as i understand it , and regarding what i found on the www.

- its like a one axis slew, not like a potentiometer, means turning the wheel will slew, hands off and it will self center but radar remains at slewed angle.

thats why i have gone the button way and because the cooliehat is not necessary as u do have slew hat there as well.

yes its size is sufficient to press the buttons

yes, but not with my approach using the cooliehat

no, see above

side note, the cooliehat already just contains 4 buttons like the ones i will use

365992428_rdrelev2.JPG.e6a5d3d4fb49059af4abc193a3f587cc.JPG

Interesting. Will this plate replace the current cover plate of the right lever?

How are you connecting the Antenna Elevation Buttons to the 8-Way Coolie Hat? Adapterboard? Anyway, neat solution. Finally a use for those IMHO useless 45° actions.

Looking forward.

Edited by Gruman

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR

finished, video added

IMG_20190821_151118.thumb.jpg.385fbf6f5bb231ff825ab663d1cbbbec.jpg

Edited by FoxDelta

on the real steel it's an analog axis

ya i remember u already mentioned that, using buttons was ok for me as long as that handling in principle keeps close to the real one. my wheel is self centering and the antenna remains at the angle it was moved to despite the wheel recenters.

as far as i know thats the real ones behaviour.

on the real steel it's an analog axis

Working in relative mode, since the wheel return to center?

But for a game joystick are much advantage over digital input (button)?

Anyway can easily wire a pot in parallel with "Friction lever" axis, the "X of question" is if are space inside the grip for fit a pot. :joystick:

Just a though, could the up/down buttons be connected to the POV thumbswitch, using perhaps the 45 (up-right) contact for up and the 225 (down-left) contact for down? That way the coolie switch maintains full independent functionality, and you would be using POV contacts that are not used unless the POV switch is used as a POV (I use it as a 4-way + press, for example).

Vulture

of course, this can be done, 45 degrees are recognized when two nearby of the 4 coolihats internal buttons are pressed at the same time. so just solder 2 additional wires to the buttons and it will work the way u want it

Thanks for the video. I think I will replace my push-through-detent with your finger Lift as well. Looks cool as hell.

Looking forward to the release of the step files.

u should do that, thx. will try to make them available this weekend.

Incredible, you are a really brilliant engineer in front of a radar screen.

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

hi arturo!

good to hear from u again, how is your 3d printing going.

thx for the praise:music_whistling:

• 2 weeks later...