Su-22M4 comming to DCS

Go to solution Solved by SVKSniper,

2 hours ago, SVKSniper said:

No comment.🤣  You just have to wait for the official announcement from ED.

I can wait as long as it's something that will happen rather than might happen. 

Your comment makes an impression it's something that WILL happen. 

• Like 3

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

18 minutes ago, Gierasimov said:

I can wait as long as it's something that will happen rather than might happen. 

Your comment makes an impression it's something that WILL happen. 

Correct! 😉

• Like 4

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick questions:

What arrangements of rockets and gunpods were permitted?

Photos suggest that the under-fuselage hardpoints could also carry SPPU-22 or Rocket pods (which differs from the DCS AI model). It'd be neat to be able to carry six rocket pods (i.e. 2/3rds the load of a Su-25 rather than 1/2 the load)... it'd also give it a bit of an edge on the Mig-23/Mig-27... so it would make it more attractive overall.

It also seems that the rear facing SPPU-22 arrangement was used by Poland? Operationally! Which is interesting - I'd always thought of it as an experimental loadout. Were any presets used with this - or were the weapons just set at a fixed angle?

Of course, I will pre-order it regardless! 🙂

• Solution
On 4/9/2023 at 6:55 PM, Avimimus said:

Quick questions:

What arrangements of rockets and gunpods were permitted?

Photos suggest that the under-fuselage hardpoints could also carry SPPU-22 or Rocket pods (which differs from the DCS AI model). It'd be neat to be able to carry six rocket pods (i.e. 2/3rds the load of a Su-25 rather than 1/2 the load)... it'd also give it a bit of an edge on the Mig-23/Mig-27... so it would make it more attractive overall.

It also seems that the rear facing SPPU-22 arrangement was used by Poland? Operationally! Which is interesting - I'd always thought of it as an experimental loadout. Were any presets used with this - or were the weapons just set at a fixed angle?

Of course, I will pre-order it regardless! 🙂

Hi Avimimus,thanks for your questions.😉

The Su-22M4 could carry gunpods on four hardpoints. They were  hardpoints 3,4 and 1r and 2r. In Czechoslovakia, they were always carried only at a standard fixed angle and never, and as far as I know, not even at the Su-25 were they shot backwards, always only in the direction of flight.  But from what I found in the manual, hardpoints 1r and 2r under fuselage could only be used for shooting backwards.

The SUO-54 armament control system on the Su-22M4 did not allow the use of different types of unguided rockets or anti-surface missiles in one flight. After switching the weapon selector on the stick to the S-60 position, it was possible to use only one type of unguided rockets or one type of guided anti-surface missiles or only SPPU cannon containers.

As for the rockets, it is possible to hang them on up to six suspension points, I am also attaching screenshots from the mission editor for a better idea.

Screen_230411_181459.jpg

Screen_230411_181538.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Thank you @SVKSniper! I've spent several months wondering and looked at a lot of photos trying to figure this out. It never occured to me to just ask you! I really appreciate the information.

Can any of these weapons be carried while also carrying bombs?

P.S. I wonder if the aircraft in these photos has been loaded incorrectly (as is often the case with aircraft loaded for display/photography)? SPPU-22 | Weaponsystems.net

17 hours ago, Avimimus said:

Thank you @SVKSniper! I've spent several months wondering and looked at a lot of photos trying to figure this out. It never occured to me to just ask you! I really appreciate the information.

Can any of these weapons be carried while also carrying bombs?

The SUO-54 enabled the so-called "ataku vtarovo vida", when after aiming and launching the rockets, the pilot held down the combat button and the bombs were dropped at the calculated moment.

Here: 8*Fab-100,2*UB-32😉

Screen_230412_172314.jpg

17 hours ago, Avimimus said:

P.S. I wonder if the aircraft in these photos has been loaded incorrectly (as is often the case with aircraft loaded for display/photography)? SPPU-22 | Weaponsystems.ne

You mustn't believe everything you see in photos from museums and from various shows, it's a lot of nonsense.🙃

Edited by SVKSniper
  • Like 3

I wonder who came up with the idea of mounting the pods backwards. Probably something who never had to shoot a gun from an airplane. Being able to set depression angle can be handy, at least.

Really looking forward to this bird. A full fidelity Soviet ground attack platform is long overdue.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SVKSniper said:

You mustn't believe everything you see in photos from museums and from various shows, it's a lot of nonsense.🙃

I thought that might be the case!

3 hours ago, SVKSniper said:

The SUO-54 enabled the so-called "ataku vtarovo vida", when after aiming and launching the rockets, the pilot held down the combat button and the bombs were dropped at the calculated moment.

Ah! So a bit like the old KABB experiments? Was it always necessary to do that? Or could the bombs be released on a separate second pass (or be released first, with the rockets released on a second pass afterwards)?

Also - with regard to the MBD racks - I've wondered for several years whether the release interval can be adjusted. Originally, when ED first modelled them it was a separate press to release each bomb. Now one press releases all of the bombs on the rack in a sequence. However, the interval is fixed (so the bombs tend to land very close together). The same goes for the KMGU cells... can the release interval be adjusted?

Even if they can't be adjusted by the pilot in flight - I always thought it would make sense for these systems to be adjustable by ground crews at least (e.g. a high speed attack would use a rapid interval, whereas a lower speed attack one would want to use a slower interval to spread the bombs out a similar amount).

Thanks again!

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 9:27 PM, Avimimus said:

I thought that might be the case!

Ah! So a bit like the old KABB experiments? Was it always necessary to do that? Or could the bombs be released on a separate second pass (or be released first, with the rockets released on a second pass afterwards)?

Also - with regard to the MBD racks - I've wondered for several years whether the release interval can be adjusted. Originally, when ED first modelled them it was a separate press to release each bomb. Now one press releases all of the bombs on the rack in a sequence. However, the interval is fixed (so the bombs tend to land very close together). The same goes for the KMGU cells... can the release interval be adjusted?

Even if they can't be adjusted by the pilot in flight - I always thought it would make sense for these systems to be adjustable by ground crews at least (e.g. a high speed attack would use a rapid interval, whereas a lower speed attack one would want to use a slower interval to spread the bombs out a similar amount).

Thanks again!

Thank you Avimimus for your interest in this aircraft!😉 Yes bombs could by released on second pass. To MBD and KMGU,you are right and as far as I remember it is the same system as on the Su-25. And yes interval can be adjusted. If i have more time, I will try to explain a little how it should work properly. 🙂  

And guys big thank you for your comment, follow and interest!!!👍

Edited by SVKSniper
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One Friday afternoon: 

"The DCS: Su-22 is a new aircraft coming to DCS that is being developed by Sniper Studio. This module will be an accurate representation of the Sukhoi Su-22M4..." 

I HOPE 

• Like 5

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

42 minutes ago, Gierasimov said:

One Friday afternoon: 

"The DCS: Su-22 is a new aircraft coming to DCS that is being developed by Sniper Studio. This module will be an accurate representation of the Sukhoi Su-22M4..." 

I HOPE 

... and you forgot to add:

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b56pn1znwx40rq69kg06

:thumbup:

• Like 2

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

19 hours ago, SVKSniper said:

Thank you Avimimus for your interest in this aircraft!😉 Yes bombs could by released on second pass. To MBD and KMGU,you are right and as far as I remember it is the same system as on the Su-25. And yes interval can be adjusted. If i have more time, I will try to explain a little how it should work properly. 🙂  

And guys big thank you for your comment, follow and interest!!!👍

I'm sure we'd all prefer you to look after your overall life and wellbeing - and after that - I think we'd probably think that your time is better spent on the Su-22 than on answering my questions. 🙂

But thank you! I've been wondering about some of these things for over fifteen years.

• Like 1

Depending on the position of the switch (P01-P02-P04-All) is from KMG-U containers and MBD3 racks released one, two, or all four bombs by depressing the release button called "PODVESKI". If there is any bomb left on the MBD or KMG-U racks then a warning light "GOTOVNOSŤ" on the weapons panel for the relevant pylon starts blinking. The order of weapon release is:

1   2        3    4   3       --numbers of order of release
-pylon BD3-57     5 , 6  / MBD 1s, 3-4, 2s      --numbers of pylons of aircraft
                                   1     2
-in case 3-4 are empty then the order is 5-6, 1s-2s
                                              1  2   3
-if 1s-2s MBD are not present then the order of release is 5, 6, 3-4

Just to make it clear (although I suppose you already know that), pylons 5 and 6 are internal pylons that are located closest to the fuselage, on the wing. Pylons 3 and 4 are on ends of static parts of wings. And pylons 1s and 2s are directly on the fuselage of the aircraft. In front of the MBD pylon there is a interval block BI-3M with electric impulses settings with intervals of 0.05, 0.08, 0.1 and 0.5 second.

And finally, a few photos from this weekend's museum visit.

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0977.JPG

IMG_0997.JPGIMG_0998.JPG

• Like 6

2 минуты назад, SVKSniper сказал:

Depending on the position of the switch (P01-P02-P04-All) is from KMG-U containers and MBD3 racks released one, two, or all four bombs by depressing the release button called "PODVESKI". If there is any bomb left on the MBD or KMG-U racks then a warning light "GOTOVNOSŤ" on the weapons panel for the relevant pylon starts blinking. The order of weapon release is:

1     2
                                              1  2   3

Just to make it clear (although I suppose you already know that), pylons 5 and 6 are internal pylons that are located closest to the fuselage, on the wing. Pylons 3 and 4 are on ends of static parts of wings. And pylons 1s and 2s are directly on the fuselage of the aircraft. In front of the MBD pylon there is a interval block BI-3M with electric impulses settings with intervals of 0.05, 0.08, 0.1 and 0.5 second.

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0977.JPG

IMG_0997.JPGIMG_0998.JPG

Hey man, can u to visit this Hinds closer???

On 4/25/2023 at 4:37 PM, SVKSniper said:

1     2
                                              1  2   3

Ah! So the actual circuitry for the release interval is in the pylon itself and set by ground crew! It'd be interesting to see how this would be implemented in DCS (e.g. set as an option in the mission editor, or through the rearm menu)?

It'd also be interesting to see if this functionality could be added to the Su-25 by ED at some point.

Anyway, very interesting! Thank you for the breakdown. I am in your debt!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1