F-14 Replay Tracks vs. F/A-18 Replay Tracks - What?

TacoGrease

Obviously, replay tracks in DCS are a mess - let’s get that out of the way, and I don’t want to beat that dead horse any further.

However, why the discrepancy between F/A-18 tracks and F-14 tracks? I can perform a Case I in the F/A-18, record it, and play the track back smoothly (even with time alterations like pausing, slowing down, and speeding up).

Tomcat tracks, on the other hand, have never worked for me even this well. A Case I replay, for example, always ends up with me in the drink.

They’re both DCS modules - why would the Tomcat be so much less likely to replay properly? Complexity?

2080Ti FTW3 Ultra - G.Skill RJ 32GB (16x2) DDR4 3200 - Ryzen 2700X 4.2Ghz OC - Corsair H100i Pro - Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2TB - TMW HOTAS w Delta Sim - F/A-18C grip - 10cm Sahaj - TrackIR 5 Pro - Rift CV1 - MFG CWind - BuddyFox UFC - DSD RK II - Cougar MFDs w/ LCDs - Foxx Mounts - VPC MongoosT-50CM base

- Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy

- Modules: FC3, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C, F-16C, F-86, KA-50, P-51D, WWII assets, and [insert campaign name]

Dreaming of the F-15E / F-14D / Rhino

I've only gotten a few tracks of the 14 to work... 99% of the time they're completely out of sync with any other units, especially AI ones. You can see the desync live in MP serers if you watch an F-14 GBU a moving target... from the 3rd party perspective, it'll look like it lands way behind it, but from the client dropping the bomb perspective, it'll be a direct hit... server-client desync is really weird and does really weird things to tracks when it comes to the F-14.

I can't even get the tomcat to Taxy off stand and turn a corner without running on to the grass in track replay.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Replay reliability is totally random across modules. Even updates. The Hornet, Warthog, and FC3 aircraft seem to be the most stable and rarely break. The Harrier as well, though it will sometimes suddenly desync when GBUs are used, or when you take damage. The M2000C has usually replayed fine for me, but I haven't tested recently. The Spitfire and Bf109 have been reliable for me, but the Anton always goes to hell while still on the ground. The F-5 always desyncs for me if I set shadows higher than "low," but will sometimes replay fine if I have shadows "low" or off. The MiG-21 also replayed fine for me a few updates ago, but I haven't flown it recently since the cockpit is trash for VR. The Viggen and Tomcat have been the two biggest "offenders" of breaking tracks among all my modules.

As for the AI, they desync because the track doesn't replay what the AI did. The track replays the mission and recreates player/client inputs, while the AI is still "alive" and making real-time decisions during the replay.

I mean, I'm literally just recording a Case I landing, air start.

Everything is already setup - not messing with any settings on the bird except changing my TACAN heading for the Boat.

So airstart. Only AI units are a Seahawk and an S-3, and just a few static objects on the deck of Stennis. Nothing else.

Works perfectly with the Hornet. Has not worked once with the Tomcat.

2080Ti FTW3 Ultra - G.Skill RJ 32GB (16x2) DDR4 3200 - Ryzen 2700X 4.2Ghz OC - Corsair H100i Pro - Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2TB - TMW HOTAS w Delta Sim - F/A-18C grip - 10cm Sahaj - TrackIR 5 Pro - Rift CV1 - MFG CWind - BuddyFox UFC - DSD RK II - Cougar MFDs w/ LCDs - Foxx Mounts - VPC MongoosT-50CM base

- Modules: FC3, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C, F-16C, F-86, KA-50, P-51D, WWII assets, and [insert campaign name]

Sorry for the double post, but could someone try this with the Heatblur Case I recovery quick start mission and see if they can get it to work? Curious if it’s on my end.

I guess I’ll stop trying then...lol

It's not on your end. I got an air-start F-14 track to replay correctly twice, and since then I haven't gotten any replays to work correctly.

The only replays that work are multiplayer server tracks.

Do you mean the tracks that are recorded by the server itself? Or tracks you record while on a multiplayer server?

Tracks recorded on the "server" itself. When I want to take pictures/videos of the Tomcat I always run a second instance of DCS as a host, in F10 view, then connect through my main client instance of DCS. Then I just replay the second instance's (server's) track file.

Tracks recorded on the "server" itself. When I want to take pictures/videos of the Tomcat I always run a second instance of DCS as a host, in F10 view, then connect through my main client instance of DCS. Then I just replay the second instance's (server's) track file.

Great! Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that this evening.

Are you using 2 machines for that? Or how do you set that up?

Mig-21 replays worked flawlessly, last time I checked. That was on M3L's to do list as a bug & they fixed it!

I don't see why HB couldn't do the same?

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

This one? https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=239614&highlight=%E2%80%9CSecond+instance%E2%80%9D

One machine. There should be a guide on the forums about running a "second instance" of DCS. Using those search terms it should come up.

And do the F4 camera controls not work with this kind of track?

Shift+F4 doesn't work for some idiotic reason. F4 works, but your numpad positioning controls are also idiotically limited. I don't understand why ED programmed such inconsistency between SP and MP controls, but anyway. Best you can do is F4, then try and position the camera with a combination of mouse, */, and TrackIR.

Yeah...that’s insanely lame...

Is this the correct link btw?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=239614&highlight=%E2%80%9CSecond+instance%E2%80%9D

Shift+F4 doesn't work for some idiotic reason. F4 works, but your numpad positioning controls are also idiotically limited. I don't understand why ED programmed such inconsistency between SP and MP controls, but anyway. Best you can do is F4, then try and position the camera with a combination of mouse, */, and TrackIR.

Different thread, but I can't seem to find the one I used. I don't recall exactly how I did it, but I remember creating a shortcut to DCS.exe, and appending "-server -w <name>" to the path in the shortcut's properties. Where <name> is the name of the new Saved Games folder that will be created.

Different thread, but I can't seem to find the one I used. I don't recall exactly how I did it, but I remember creating a shortcut to DCS.exe, and appending "-server -w <name>" to the path in the shortcut's properties. Where <name> is the name of the new Saved Games folder that will be created.

Kind of sounds like this one?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=234184