Can`t get a lock

dr_hippo

Hi, I am new into the F18, not new in DCS

I have a issue with locking a target and I see different behacior then online videos about it.

First of all the TDC in the radar is yellow on mine and green in online movies. In the AM120 trainng mission the first enemys are mig 29. Theyu come in a yellow triangle in the radar screen. If I put the TDC over it and push enter the radarline is going quickly in the centre from left to right and after 3 seconds it goes again fully from left to right and the target is not locked. I tried also in other mission then the training one, same behavior!!!

Any help please?

THankx

First of all the TDC in the radar is yellow on mine and green in online movies.

Hi, you can select on the Radar if you want Colors or not.

DDI on Radar->DATA->COLOR.... try it

bye

Theyu come in a yellow triangle in the radar screen. If I put the TDC over it and push enter the radarline is going quickly in the centre from left to right and after 3 seconds it goes again fully from left to right and the target is not locked.

Any help please?

THankx

Try to put TDC cursor on the Brick not on the triangle.

975643004_Screenshot2019_10.08-09_09_56_79.jpg.efd8a56bbc47f72d8c96d6dfdc151936.jpg

Edited by pokeraccio

The collor change works! Still can not get a lock. When the TDC is over the target and I hit enter. The radar line is going from left to reght between the 2 TDC lines for 2 sec and then it is going again from left to right using the whole radar screen. In my hud i still VISUAL so no lock. What do you mean "on the Brick"?

Thanx

• ED Team

add a short track replay so we can all take a look and give you some advice.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

The collor change works! Still can not get a lock. When the TDC is over the target and I hit enter. The radar line is going from left to reght between the 2 TDC lines for 2 sec and then it is going again from left to right using the whole radar screen. In my hud i still VISUAL so no lock. What do you mean "on the Brick"?

Thanx

added a pic on my answer, try that

I will try that, any comments why it is comming in as a triangle with 29 in it instead of a green dot?

I believe you refer to the EW representation.

I suggest you to give also a quick look to the DCS Aircraft Manual you'll find a lot of useful infos on the A/A Radar form page 204 HORNET AIR-TO-AIR (A/A)

\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Doc

if you have Stable Version the folder will be without "OpenBeta"

That make sense.

I only see the yellow triangle, not the brick!!!

As it is the ingame training mission I should see it...

hmmmmm....

Could be do to radar antenna elevation, the triangle on radar it’s just a representation of EW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The yellow triangle is showing you that there's an RWR hit from an enemy on that azimuth, you can't lock it so your radar is acting like you've clicked blank space on your radar (which you technically have) - you need to put the TDC over a brick or a HAFU to depress and designate a target (one depress for LTWS - soft tracking, can't guide the missile - two for STT for missile guidance). If you can't see the brick/HAFU it's possible that the contact is outside the range you're viewing (so increase the radar range) or at a different elevation from what you're scanning (so increase the bars you're scanning and/or adjust your radar elevation). If you're jumping in the BVR 8v8 instant action, just extend the range of the radar (you don't need to turn COLOR off!), the targets are at about 50nm when you start, but your radar scans 40nm by default.

I did another test, created a mission wiht 2 migs 25 flying in a straight line.

I am closing in from 20 miles behind, same altitude, radar on, master arm on, 120am b or c selected. No bricks coming on my radar.

Getting frustrated. The fact that it does not worki in trainingmission does not give me confidence. Maybe something wrong with install,.... I am out of ideas.

Thanx

I am closing in from 20 miles behind, same altitude, radar on, master arm on, 120am b or c selected. No bricks coming on my radar.

Getting frustrated. The fact that it does not worki in trainingmission does not give me confidence. Maybe something wrong with install,.... I am out of ideas.

Are you sure the antenna elevation is correct? Also key bindings for that.

You’ll find it on your left hand side of DDI (a little caret)

76886863-8BBA-4DEA-8749-CFBF441E27EC.thumb.png.85ec00f9532e35734e19948bc69946d5.png

You'll likely need to set your radar to

• range = 40NM or 80NM

• sweep = 40° (+/-20°), 60° (+/-30°) or 80°(+/-40°)

• bars = 4 or 6

Your changes for each type of missile can be saved by pressing the 'set' button on the 'attack radar' DDI.

Note: The default AIM-120 setting is 40NM, 140°(+/-70°) sweep, 2 bar which has a slow update rate and narrow altitude range.

What do you mean "on the Brick"?

The yellow triangles on the display are not radar contacts, they show the direction of an emitting enemy radar.

'bricks' are the rectangular green blocks on the attack radar that show a contacts range and direction. The 'bricks' change to a different (MIDS) symbology after interrogation and/or from received data link info.

This Grim Reaper video may help as 'Cap' relearns the F/A-18C radar.

The "AIM-120" section of Chuck's "F/A-18C Hornet Guide", starting on Page 262, may be of help

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q2vH0WLm5mdu2U3GX8AkB1z6iIP-I_sF/view

If you'd like more specific help, it'd be helpful for you to post a track of you flying your mission, so we can see what you are missing (at the end of your SP mission, in the debrief screen - you have the option to save your track, it is found in "Saved Games\DCS\Tracks" and can be attached to your post).

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I am getting frustrated over here. I watched the 120am training videos on youtube. As it says in the training instructions leave the radar in default settings when the 120am is selected. On all video`s the targets are coming on the radar. I have only the yellow triangle with 29 on it. So, no Bricks no green dots. I uninstalled dcs, downloaded it again and after install same issue. Please advise???

Add Ramsy

Thanks for the reply.

I have watched the video and setted my radar to the same settings for AIM9 and also for AM120.

Still same results, I have uploaded 2 tracks. 1 for the AIM9 and one for the AM120

If you please can have a look.

I feel like flying a F117. I can not shoot any missiles and I am visible.

THanks ( Still frustrated )

AIM9.trk

AM120.trk

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY,

Just found it thanks to POCERACCIO

It was the antenna elevation.

Thanks for all and sorry for all the questions

Thanks

I’m glad you sorted out,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

I am having serious issues with the Hornet and it's increasingly difficult to Lock a target.

Most of the time you see it on the SA page you see it on the RWS and you can' lock it up.

up to the point when you can SEE the target and it's below 20nm and stil you can't lock it.

I check antenna tilt, bars... no change. It seems like a matter of luck.

I had a JF-17 running HOT on me being higher. I see it on radar turn into it, switch A-A and GONE...empty.. SA-Page clean, Radar-Clean, bandit gone (he was above..so no ground clutter).

I reduce radar to 20nm centered and I see smoke from his Fox3 towards me but my radar is blind..

So anyone experiencing the same or knows a cure because this hasn't been that way before TWS was introduced .

Cheers

Khegrow

Hi Guys,

I am having serious issues with the Hornet and it's increasingly difficult to Lock a target.

Most of the time you see it on the SA page you see it on the RWS and you can' lock it up.

up to the point when you can SEE the target and it's below 20nm and stil you can't lock it.

I check antenna tilt, bars... no change. It seems like a matter of luck.

I had a JF-17 running HOT on me being higher. I see it on radar turn into it, switch A-A and GONE...empty.. SA-Page clean, Radar-Clean, bandit gone (he was above..so no ground clutter).

I reduce radar to 20nm centered and I see smoke from his Fox3 towards me but my radar is blind..

So anyone experiencing the same or knows a cure because this hasn't been that way before TWS was introduced .

Cheers

Khegrow

I've had a few similar instances of something sounds like this. I set my 120C to 40nm 4bar scan, looking for a hot bandit at approx 15nm so hes right down at the bottom, so I change the range to 20nm can see a red spike from the bandit but no brick to lock. Playing with the antenna no joy, bandit now 10nm and foxed, and i still couldn't get a lock no matter what. I went to MID and High PF, but nothing it was like a stealth aircraft... watching back the tac view my radar was right on him, I was low and he was high, nothing on scope.... I seriously think the radar is bugged currently, I normally have to go to ACM and lock up visually. but hard to do so against a bandit with a fully working radar who can fox at 10+nm and I can't even see him....

What I found funny was I went 0-4, switched to the F16 and went 4-4, so 4 kills in one life evened me out, so this doesn't make any sense to me. There is something wrong with the F18 and I cannot for the life of me work out if its me of the sim, but nice to know I'm not the only one finding these issues. They need fixing badly!

Edited by Orr89

I used to have the radar antenna binded to a hotas axis but it was causing some issues. Now only on buttons but same as here.

Contacts break lock tooo easy. I have to use the the HMS and sensor select FWD to use LHACQ(Long Range Helmet Acquisition if Sensor Control Switch

is held for more than 800 ms 0 8 sec) in orther to have a good solid lock. Or just going with AACQ. And this is on PVP servers. Don't have any issues with any other jet.