AMRAAMs on the wingtip pylons

CheckGear

I was always curious when and why this became a thing. Up until the Gulf War, it seemed like only Sidewinders were carried on the wingtip pylons. Then in the mid-1990s or so, it seemed like they suddenly opted to have AMRAAMs there, even though Sparrows were never mounted in the same spot.

Because it helps damp this:

Although it causes some other problems... Ask Panther, she knows first hand.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

It would be great to see it in the simulation eventually.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Not sure how comfortable I would be flying along with my bombs bouncing around under the wing like that! :lol:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

According to Wikipedia an AIM-7 weighs nearly twice as much as an AMRAAM, given the claims that the 120's cause stress damage when on the tips, maybe the 7's were never considered just because of weight.

The AIM-7 is also not rail launched like the AIM-120, the AIM-7 is ejected in most cases, unless there is an unknown variant out there some where.

ASUS TUF GAMING X670E with AMD RYZEN 5 7600X, 64GB DDR4, ASUS TUF GAMING 4080

Pico 4, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Formally Known As: wpnssgt (google it :smilewink: )

This forum has a very nice "Search"-feature. Alternatively, search engines work as well:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=241142

:smartass:

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

According to Wikipedia an AIM-7 weighs nearly twice as much as an AMRAAM, given the claims that the 120's cause stress damage when on the tips, maybe the 7's were never considered just because of weight.

Some specific version of the F-16 can carry the AIM-7 on station 3 and 7. They need special pylons. Without looking, the Egyptians F-16 (specifically their block 40), Iraqi block 52+, ROCAF F-16A block 20 and USAF F-16A ADF. I am sure there are others.

Carry the aim120 or aim7 on the wingtip pylons involves problems of maneuverability in the roll due to the mass/inertia also cause a greater stress in flexing the wings.

AIM-7 can't be carried on station 1, 2, 8 nor 9. Only station 3 and 7 AFAIK, because of weight

The AIM-7 is also not rail launched like the AIM-120, the AIM-7 is ejected in most cases, unless there is an unknown variant out there some where.

The AIM-120 can be rail launch, if you look at the missile it has "hooks" that go on the rail.

Edited by mvsgas
spelling

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..