F14 TOMCAT GRIP ENTERING PRODUCTION

AeroGator

Yeah I would never consider going back to the Warthog gimbal (which I still have) with an MCG Pro grip. VKB gimbal is so very far superior to the Warthog.

I do miss the cold metal feel of the Warthog grip, but not that much.

I might consider the F 14 grip down the road, but right now I have my hands full just learning the Hornet and my MCG Pro grip has lots of buttons that work well with the Hornet which is nice.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have never really cared for the cold metal feel of the Warthog grip.

My all-time favorite grip is the B-8. I have two real B-8 grips. They are heavy and have metal internally. But the outer shell is some sort of heavy duty plastic or molded resin. It has a gloss finish that may be painted on or is the result of polishing the surface. The sides have a checkered pattern similar to many pistol grips. It does not feel like cold metal at all. I really like the size/shape/feel of it in my hand.

The MCG Pro does not have the heavy, sturdy feel of the B-8. It also does not have the polished, glossy finish. The shape is a little smaller. It has something like the checkered pattern on one side. Despite all the little differences, the MCG Pro feels a lot like my preferred B-8, which is a big plus for me over cold metal.

As the F-14 grip appears to have largely derived from the B-8, I will probably enjoy the size/shape/feel of it.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you can't afford their product or simply refuse because you are happy with what you already have, you weren't their target market. They wanted to make something for people who wanted something more than what the Warthog offered in both quality and capability. But it comes with a much higher price.

They did announce MCG TM variant a long time ago, so they definitely *had* some plans to tap into that market. Not sure if that still stands, though.

I have absolutely no trouble flying with the Warthog throttle and VKB Gunfighter Mk.II in DCS World. So, I don't understand the need for VKB to urgently provide a throttle to make their stick/grips more attractive? I now have a large assortment of VKB compatible grips, most of them replicas or reasonable approximations of real grips. The F-14 grip will be a great additon to my collection.

Yeah, I guess that depends on how you're used to configure the controls. I was writing from a narrow perspective where some programming options not supported by DCS control setup are expected.

I guess those are pretty few and not that crucial, though and perhaps that Joystick Gremlin software could handle them, I didn't have time to check that out yet.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

They did announce MCG TM variant a long time ago, so they definitely *had* some plans to tap into that market. Not sure if that still stands, though.

It have been cancelled.

Good day. I am exactly that Aerogator who once wrote on il2 forum that we were preparing the adapter.

There's been plenty of water since I posted that information.

This plan has been dumped.

The reason is simple, and very frustrating in a way: the number of people who would want to mount an MCG onto a TM base would never excuse spending on RnD and manufacturing the adapters in question. Fact is, VKB would hardly sell a handful - yes, I literally mean a handful - of these devices.

TM base with all due respect belongs in history. Putting a MCG on it would mean wasting 90+ per cent of the grip's potential. TM WH grip at least has its metal appeal, and ergonomically it is an eternal masterpiece. The base, however... I don't want to speak it out, but you understand me.

Maybe it was my bad that I didn't update in on the il2 forum that we stopped working on it, but you know... no one asked about it for more than a year. I simply let it slip.

Will write on il2 some time soon.

Where is the pre order location I have 2 GF1 bases.

There won't be a pre-order option per se, just a "Get Notified" waitlist option which provides a tally under the hood we can share with VKB HQ; however, VKB HQ first has to provide the F-14 stand-alone grip (and hopefully a Gunfighter w/ F-14 grip combo) product details and options to their resellers before we can turn around and create a product page for customers to see.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Warthog base is too "vintage" for this new features/tech, e.g.

Lockable contactless sensor twist mechanism

32-bit APM controller as the brain of the grip

Before anyone asks - "APM" here is a typo and should be "ARM", as in ARM Processor.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I wish to buy the F-14 grip asap through your european distributor.

Will he be able to open a pre-order list and receive grips from the 1st production batch as well?

Interested in this too.

Any info about initial availability through the european distributor?

I'm interested in this as well... I have the full Virpil setup (throttle, grips, etc) and waiting for their VFX grip to be released, however I'm open to explore the competition IF necessary. What I don't want to do is order a new base PLUS the grip. So, what the difference between the two? IF VKB's is superior I'll bite the bullet and order both the base and the grip

Warthog base compatibility explained

Gentlemen, let me make it straight once and forever :)

A grip is an add-on to the base.

--> VKB-made bases provide support for TM-made WH grip.

--> Should TM wish VKB-made grips used on TM-made bases they can modify their bases, or design and produce adapter kits.

Of course this will take quite some time, cost quite some money, and will make engineers of all levels focus on it rather than on going ahead with working on TM's own projects, but this is what it is.

We therefore encourage everyone interested in expanding their park of TM-base-compatible grips to talk to TM and suggest they take the above steps. We most sincerely wish and hope TM listens to these voices. We believe this can be very beneficial to the whole gaming community.

:joystick:

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

Gentlemen, let me make it straight once and forever :)

--> Should TM wish VKB-made grips used on TM-made bases they can modify their bases, or design and produce adapter kits.

Got it, but if we take this poll as a valid reference, it's quite a weird stance from a business perspective, IMHO.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218695

Thanks for the answer.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Got it, but if we take this poll as a valid reference, it's quite a weird stance from a business perspective, IMHO.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218695

Thanks for the answer.

What is your point?

The poll just asks "What is your primary stick".

My primary stick is a WH as well but it is mounted on a VKB base and is far, far superior to the WH old poorly engineered (IMHO) gimbal base.

So my answer to the poll is a WH because that's what I've owned since they came out.

Also, the MB for the VKB stick is in the "Black Box" that sits outside the base and not inside the stick - whereas, the WH stick has the MB inside the stick. They are not compatible even if just mounts were made. One cannot just be raplaced with the other by just a mount alone.

Edited by Catseye

What is your point? The poll just asks "What is your primary stick".

The numbers in the poll, more specifically the ratio of TM vs VKB in the context of the viewpoint that TM should adapt to their standard.

Please note, I'm not doubting that VKB base is superior, but I'm just noting the business potential of selling VKB grips to owners of TM-compatible bases.

My primary stick is a WH as well but it is mounted on a VKB base and is far, far superior to the WH old poorly engineered (IMHO) gimbal base.

So my answer to the poll is a WH because that's what I've owned since they came out.

The stick is grip + base and your case is kind of a hybrid one, I guess.

I presume the point of the poll was to determine for which products they need to provide default mappings.

Also, the MB for the VKB stick is in the "Black Box" that sits outside the base and not inside the stick - whereas, the WH stick has the MB inside the stick. They are not compatible even if just mounts were made. One cannot just be raplaced with the other by just a mount alone.

Not sure which parts you consider to be contained in this 'MB' exactly, but perhaps you should check

video.

So, a small VKB to TM converter board would be required and would be a part of the adapter set, of course. Again, a long time ago VKB also announced an MCG-TM grip with a TM compatible mount and signals, provided by putting such an extra adapter board in between their MCG board output and the TM mount.

But, please, I really don't intend to contaminate the thread with this discussion any longer as VKB is obviously not interested in selling their grips to owners of TM-compatible bases (TM Cougar in various aftermarket gimbal forms, TM Warthog, Virpil, RS FSSB, etc.).

Edited by Dudikoff

Not sure which parts you consider to be contained in this 'MB' exactly, but perhaps you should check

video.

This is a super video.

I have a "wiggle" in my VKB MCG II base attachment and now I see how it is mounted and can go in and see if the bolts are not tight enough.

Fair comment on my comments.

Cheers,

Any info about initial availability through the european distributor?
There are two solutions, one being more realistic than the other - so I will now divulge this very one:

When the grips are made and in storage but the sales are not yet officially launched, we will (based on the number of pre-orders at our EU dealer) arrange a shipment to the EU. So that when the sales start, the cargo is already like half way to Rotterdam. It may not make the grips available at exactly the same time on both sides of the pond, but will at least shorten the waiting by 2 weeks or more.

>

AeroGator

It's planned that Heatblur will provide individual codes to owners of their F-14 DCS module, and these codes can than be entered into the respective VKB webshop for the 10% discount during checkout.

Do you know, when this will happen?

I'm really eager to get this stick... :D

Ryzen 5800XD - 32GB RAM - Sapphire RX 7900 XTX - VKB Stuff + MFG Crosswind Pedals

Homebase: Southwest Germany 🇩🇪

There are two solutions, one being more realistic than the other - so I will now divulge this very one:

When the grips are made and in storage but the sales are not yet officially launched, we will (based on the number of pre-orders at our EU dealer) arrange a shipment to the EU. So that when the sales start, the cargo is already like half way to Rotterdam. It may not make the grips available at exactly the same time on both sides of the pond, but will at least shorten the waiting by 2 weeks or more.

Thanks great

I take anyday the VKB base over any other on market. Not by quality alone, but the design that circuitry is outside of base.

I will wait VKB to get their throttle out, as no more will I fly with tilting one. The sliding design is just better. But I must remind people that a tilting design with removable grips will provide a way to detach left engine throttle grip and replace it with a extension pipe that has a helicopter collective head at it. Essentially turning a left engine throttle as collective.

But, nothing really denies like VKB to design a base that would have a hole on throttle left side with a space for additional gimbal, that you could buy with a collective arm and head. And this wouldn't wear the left throttle assembly itself.

So such hybrid could be best for both fixed and rotary wings.

But why not just offer a new small box with gimbal for collective? Best option really....

One reason why I went to VKB as well is their pedals design. Just so much far better than anything in market when it comes to home simulators. And if they can provide more grips, better. And not just exact replicas like MCG, or for F-14, but for general purpose ones that has enough axis, buttons, hats etc to be used on multiple aircrafts without swapping.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't expect it to arrive in November, as we have not seen any new info yet.

They even havn't started the preordering phase (or did I miss something?).

I still hope to get it just before christmas, but I expect it to arrive not before Q1 2020.

Maybe VKB surprises us with some great news shortly :D

Ryzen 5800XD - 32GB RAM - Sapphire RX 7900 XTX - VKB Stuff + MFG Crosswind Pedals

Homebase: Southwest Germany 🇩🇪

did I miss something?
You might.

I am not checking it daily, but last I spoke to our head office (I'm 200 km away, and only go there once a month or so) they were working on the preorders. To be precise, on testing the reciprocal discount system so the coupons issued by VKB would be accepted by Heatblur shop, and vice versa. So no, no one is slowing anything down.

>

AeroGator

Checking the european VKB shop's homepage almost daily now for preorder announcement... - I'm such an addicted nerd!

Hang in there - I have been doing the same with the Throttle that was supposedly ready to enter production quite some time ago.

:D

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|