TAS indicator in Su-27 and Su-33

10921099.jpg

I'm having a hard time seeing some of the symbology, but let's see..

at first glance- I thought the "50" was the Mainstay link but looking at the other picture- this must be a focal length in KM?

On the friendlies- I assume the 2,3,4 are simply the count of planes in the flight, but what does the '5' mean? Aircraft type?

What are the others to the right? I see they look like friendly icons- only much smaller "o"

The bogey or bandits - are these prioritized or something in this shot? I see one of them has 1/1 another has 4/2 or something..

That is the datalink view, I have a couple of pics of a real life one
FF, I don't think those are real photos. They are photoshoped scetches from a Russian forum member, based on the flight manual. IIRC he came up with these when discussing BVR with ED about a year a go. There is a small chance I may be wrong though.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

To maintain formation when flying at different altitudes.

Wouldnt you look for GS then?? :huh: If there's different wind at the different alt, you might still be "drifting" away from formation when looking at TAS. When using GS though, the speed would show WITH winds calculated.....

IAS - Indicated Air Speed

TAS - True Air Speed

GS - Ground speed

If having 50kts (not unusual at high alt) headwind then the TAS would be 50kts more than the GS...

2075291193_EDSig.png.650cd56f2b9a043311112721c4215a47.png

64th Aggressor Squadron
Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron
TS: 135.181.115.54

FF, I don't think those are real photos. They are photoshoped scetches from a Russian forum member, based on the flight manual. IIRC he came up with these when discussing BVR with ED about a year a go. There is a small chance I may be wrong though.

The thing is, I forgot where I got these, I'll try searching for them, but I remember it being some Chinese site, not sure though.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

On the friendlies- I assume the 2,3,4 are simply the count of planes in the flight, but what does the '5' mean? Aircraft type?

What are the others to the right? I see they look like friendly icons- only much smaller "o"

The bogey or bandits - are these prioritized or something in this shot? I see one of them has 1/1 another has 4/2 or something..

The number is not just count. It's their datalink designation. If you look at the panel right of your right leg, there are two rows of buttons 1-5 and 5-10. Those are used for selecting friends and targets. It's like when you issue the "attack my target" in LO, but with grater possibilities and in radio silence (except the datalink ;))

The little circles could be friendlies without datalink, or not members of your attack group.

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

Where on earth have you found those? I knew how it looks and what everything means from the flight manual, but never seen pictures of the real one. Now it appears like the drawings from the manual are pretty correct, of course I mean proportion-wise.

Are they stills from a video?

Thanks

Where did you get the flight manual? There is this site http://www.flight-manuals-on-cd.com, however, I am afraid to put my credit card number to that outfit. Apparently, they have Su-27SK flight manual.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

It's called a tactical formation.
Ехх... Добар си. Него `ватај се за рачунар па у нашу ескадрилу на летење! :thumbup:

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Wouldnt you look for GS then?? :huh: If there's different wind at the different alt, you might still be "drifting" away from formation when looking at TAS. When using GS though, the speed would show WITH winds calculated.....

IAS - Indicated Air Speed

TAS - True Air Speed

GS - Ground speed

If having 50kts (not unusual at high alt) headwind then the TAS would be 50kts more than the GS...

I guess, GS would be even better. However, there is no GS indicator in that cockpit either. Honestly I don't know the difference between the two.

Ехх... Добар си. Него `ватај се за рачунар па у нашу ескадрилу на летење! :thumbup:

I haven't got the time to even check the squad forum, let alone fly :(

А за ово што откриваш детаље формација ја бих те на војни суд!! ;)

Yeah... all ussr manuals look like that. And the Serbo-Croatian (one of the official languages of Yugoslavia from 1918 to 1991, along with Slovenian and Macedonian) translations i've got look the same :D

Where did you get the flight manual? There is this site http://www.flight-manuals-on-cd.com, however, I am afraid to put my credit card number to that outfit. Apparently, they have Su-27SK flight manual.

There’s no need to buy it from that site, they also got it from the internet, trust me

Here it is as Word Doc format

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,47.0.html

Here is Book 1 original (as JPEG), is the same thing word by word with the above

http://www.airwar.ru/other/bibl/su27sk_rle.html

I also have Book 2 original scan, but I’m not sure if it’s on the internet anymore

Enjoy :)

• 7 months later...

Sorry for the rebirth of this post but i have a question about Su-27Sk manual.

I managed to find Книга 1 - 2 - 6 and 8 about this manual. Whats the matter with the rest ( 3-4-5-7) ? Is a secret part of the manual? Anyone knows why the rest of the books arent there?

And a correction. If my russian translation is correct Vист is the Instrumental Speed, IAS. not the TAS speed. For this reason in the manual page linked by Fox One, the correct translation is IAS , not TAS. In my oppinion of course.

The diference is that in the Su-27 without Narciss-M system the own Su-27 symbol is different and it lacks of this speed indication in the ИПВ in МАРШРУТ mode.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

I agree! Those MFD images posted above indicate identical airspeed in every photo (450km/h). IMHO that's pretty slow in conditions like that (lots of traffic) and if you ask me those photos are taken at MAKS airshow while plane sits cold on the tarmac!

But real MFD of MiG-29 (9.12) indeed projects similar symbology, data and modes (HUD repeater, HSI etc.) when powered up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]