Lethality of GAU-8/A 30mm

Stemming from a coupla points raised in another thread and purely to satisfy my own curiosity within the parameters of the simulation only, I banged together a quick mission with a "Clean" A-10 armed with 1350 30mm rounds only and went Hunting.

Now taking for granted that a prior SEAD Strike was successfull, my target was 3 Undefended Convoys of 10 vehicles each consisting of GAZ 3308's, SAU Akatsia's and SAU Gvozdika's respectively.

Well, not counting a couple of Aborted passes and Missed runs and with 65 Rounds remaining saw all 30 targets destroyed and leaving me with a newfound healthy respect for the Hog and that almighty Cannon.

Roll on AFM Hog :D

Track File Here

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

well in real life even if you were to attack lightly armoured vehicles they wouldn't just keep going on the road... in line, as if nothing happened... and surely if you were flying really low and close and flying circles for multiple approaches... you'd bound to get hit by something which is why you can get 20+ kills in one go in the A-10 in LockOn... I actually had few days 41 kills in 1 sortie... but real life is nothing like a sim... which is why I say getting so many kills is unrealistic.

No longer active in DCS...

Stemming from a coupla points raised in another thread and purely to satisfy my own curiosity within the parameters of the simulation only, I banged together a quick mission with a "Clean" A-10 armed with 1350 30mm rounds only and went Hunting.

Now taking for granted that a prior SEAD Strike was successfull, my target was 3 Undefended Convoys of 10 vehicles each consisting of GAZ 3308's, SAU Akatsia's and SAU Gvozdika's respectively.

Well, not counting a couple of Aborted passes and Missed runs and with 65 Rounds remaining saw all 30 targets destroyed and leaving me with a newfound healthy respect for the Hog and that almighty Cannon.

Roll on AFM Hog :D

Track File Here

The A-10 is equipped with 1350 30mm cannon rounds? Are you absolutely sure about this? SU-25/T and every russian plane, as far as I know, is only equipped with 200-300 rounds per load, unless you choose unlimited weapons in which case plane is automatically reloaded!

Approximately how long did it take you to get those 30 kills by cannon? In real life the cannon is mostly used for non armored to lightely armored parked vechicles/aircraft and thats assuming your completly dry on all other a2g weapons.

Anway, good work...it never hurts to practice the basics!:thumbup:

The A-10 is equipped with 1350 30mm cannon rounds? Are you absolutely sure about this?

100% Sure :)

Approximately how long did it take you to get those 30 kills by cannon?

16 minutes

....In real life the cannon is mostly used for non armored to lightely armored parked vechicles/aircraft...

Hence my Disclaimer - "within the parameters of the simulation"

Anway, good work...it never hurts to practice the basics!:thumbup:

Indeed :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Actually i believe that in rl the a10 carries less rounds н think it is something like 1170 or nearby.

viper: i made this video a long time ago and uploaded it to simtube sometime this year - its still there - check out whether you really need 16 mins

http://www.simtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=add814d197af4f4bab3a&page=1&viewtype=&category=mr

catch u soon, cheers

• Like 1

:pilotfly:

NotiA10

CoolerMaster HAF RC-932 - Intel Core i7 950 - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R - Kingston DDR3 6GB - Gigabyte Radeon HD 5870 EF 6 Edition - Western Digital 640GB SATA-III - CoolerMaster 700W - TrackIR Pro 4 - Saitek X52 - Saitek Rudder Pedals - Hotas Warthog

Pay attention. Last I heard, M60-A1 cannon rounds are 20mm, hint hint.

No, you need to pay attention. Last I heard, the M61 cannon fires rounds that are 20mm in diameter, NOT length.

And length does start playing a role in penetration once you start moving into anti-tank kinetic penetrators like the German DM63 and the American M829A3. Obviously, not applicable here, but all the same it's not right to say that length has nothing to do with penetration at all.

sigzk5.jpg

Well, one problem you would have IRL if you were to knock out a whole column of vehicles in one pass is that your canon would heat up so much it would risk to melt!

But look at it this way: the utter devastation the GAU-8 Avenger unleashes has such a tremendous psychological effect that your whole column would be out of action if you rip apart a few vehicles in a pass.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.......viper: i made this video a long time ago and uploaded it to simtube sometime this year - its still there - check out whether you really need 16 mins...

Aye - I did'nt say I was any Good at it ;) :)

Cool Vid :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aye - I did'nt say I was any Good at it ;) :)

Cool Vid :thumbup:

outch ! - i was not trying to say anything like that at all. What i wanted to say is "give this ago !"

here is another vid for you: http://www.simtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=a2aee2df08cf09d7016c&page=1&viewtype=&category=mr

wbr,

:pilotfly:

NotiA10

CoolerMaster HAF RC-932 - Intel Core i7 950 - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R - Kingston DDR3 6GB - Gigabyte Radeon HD 5870 EF 6 Edition - Western Digital 640GB SATA-III - CoolerMaster 700W - TrackIR Pro 4 - Saitek X52 - Saitek Rudder Pedals - Hotas Warthog

outch ! - i was not trying to say anything like that at all. What i wanted to say is "give this ago !"

here is another vid for you: http://www.simtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=a2aee2df08cf09d7016c&page=1&viewtype=&category=mr

wbr,

Not taken as such at all - humble apologies if it "sounded" as such :)

A bit of the 'ol Nutty Nonsensical Humour Poking Through.........:D

It's All Good!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simtube, lol, somehow it reminds me of Sim Heil, which was a masterpiece. To see Hitler being pissed off about FS X is just wonderful, and all they did was add subtitles. Man that was a masterpiece.

The Simtube vid is cool too, just becasue it has AC/DC as background music, and with them crazy Aussies even a video of a talking turd is cool.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

100% Sure :)

16 minutes

Hence my Disclaimer - "within the parameters of the simulation"

Indeed :)

16 minutes for 30 targets, of which a lot of the targets were heavily armored, is a really great performance...testimony to the A10 and your great piloting skills!!!

I saw a documentary about the A10 on tv where it explained that the plane was built around the cannon as the central theme but still 1300+ rounds in one load is purily amazing! Foreign attack planes will never come close to this.

Actually length has to do plenty with penetration. First and foremost, given a roud diameter, length is directly tied to round mass. Secondly, there exist optimal diameter/length ratios for penetration of a tipped round vs. a whole load of types of armor, which is important because at some point, your BB will be unable to penetrate something, until you turn it into a round with similar mass, but a dart shape ...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I think you missed the point entirely. Columbia isn't armored; it isn't built to resist a weapon, nor is it really built to resist things hitting in general, since those things will have enough velocity to go through anyway. It isn't even comparable to designing a round built to penetrate armor; and there are so many ways of doing this - from HEAT rounds to HESH to SABOT, and mass displacement isn't necessarily the order of the day for all of them. Some of those melt, some melt more, some less, some in different ways, some explode ;)

The dart's design has less to do with aerodynamics than it has to do with penetration - that whole thing melts upon impact, and the resulting molten rod has to have certain characteristics to help it penetrate, and length is one of them. There's armor that's used to shatter such a round, there's armor that's used to cause it to tumble and hit at a poor angle, and so on and so forth.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

You're not talking about a good penetrator. You're talking about brute force. I suggest you read up on SABOT design, and you WILL find that length matters.

What you're saying is this: A cart will barely damage a car, a truck (or a supersonic cart) will total the car.

What I'm saying is - If you shape the cart though and give it a little push, it'll cause adequate damage to the car to render it useless without requiring the mass of the truck, nor even a supersonic cart. There is a REASON why SABOT (and other warhead) design is SECRET. ;) And yes, length plays a role ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The fact that the length to radius ratio plays a role is not secret - the exact dimensions, and I'm pretty sure the alloy details, are.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]