Help squeezing performance out of O+

Nealius

Somehow, some way, people with a similar CPU and weaker GPU are getting better performance out of the Odyssey Plus, at higher graphics settings, so I must be doing something wrong. I've tried all the tweaking tutorials, the shaders mods, and nothing seems to help.

First, specs:

i5-7600 at 3.5Ghz, RTX2070, 32GB DDR4 RAM, DCS on SSD

Steam VR settings:

Resolution per eye 100%, 90Hz

DCS settings:

thIger1.png

6sSRSBs.png

With these settings I can barely get 45fps. Even in the Tomcat on the ramp at Kobuleti with these settings I'm down to 30fps. With shadows off, though, I get awful glare on the canopy and HUD glass that makes the game borderline unplayable. If I turn shadows on FLAT or LOW my frames get knocked into the high 20-30 range. I've tried tweaking the PD and seen no difference. I've tried tweaking the Steam resolution and seen no difference. It's incredibly frustrating.

Set your ingame PD to 1.0 and use SteamVR SuperSampling instead. I set mine at 150%. try setting your terrain texture too low.. I did not notice a difference besides in Vram used..

I have my shadows on medium. I have to ask are you OC your CPU and using the XMP PRofile for the RAM??

See here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4203644#post4203644

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Haven't touched them. All the research I've done points to Nvidia control panel not interacting with DCS at all due to the graphics engine.

You can try to set Power management mode to Maximum Performance in Nvidia CP.

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

Update:

I think I squeezed a little bit more out of her. Previously the reprojection edits to the SteamVR settings never did anything for me, but this time it seems to smooth things out and eliminate ghosting. NCP Max Performance may be helping too. The Tomcat's VDI/HUD are still the biggest offenders, knocking me down to 30fps when I have shadows set to LOW. I decided to change my WMR refresh to 60Hz and now I get a smooth, locked 30fps on a populated Stennis in the Tomcat. I'll have to do further testing to see if I can push the shadows up to MEDIUM.

At this point, in the Tomcat at least, I don't think I'll ever get better than 30fps when on the ground/deck.

Update 2 Yeah nope. Even with shadows OFF playing on GAW my frames frequently go in the 20s in the Viper.

Edited by Nealius

I tried PD 1.0 and saw no performance difference, but spotting and text legibility became absolute trash.

I'll try increasing the Steam resolution and NCP Max Performance.

Not OC'ing anything, no idea what XMP Profile is.

So I am guessing the CPU you have is not a K model?? so by saying Not OC'ing anything you mean you did not OC it or don't want too OC it??

I will tell you that DCS likes a Fast CPU .. XMP PRofile is in the BIOS where it OC's the Ram to the speed it is rated at..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I second the CPU being your issue. I’m pretty much locked at 45 FPS with my rig with higher settings.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Others are flying O+ with an i5 and 1070 and getting better performance than I am.....so that's where I'm confused. I'm also confused as to why CPU affects VR performance at all. Shouldn't VR rendering be GPU-bound?

Hi, the question is are they flying an i5 that is overclocked or not. or they could be running lower graphics setting in DCS..

Was told medium settings, but not sure of overclocking. I'm scared to overclock because my region gets extremely hot in the summer and the few times I've tried overclocking even just 0.1~0.2GHz in the past my system started crashing.

Well what kind of fan and heatsink do you have currently? is it the stock one? if so you need at minimum a good aftermarket heatsink and fan with good thermal paste..

The CPU Gets pretty hot but a good HS will keep it cool.. you are gonna need to OC or reduce your settings a bit regardless of what GPU you have..

Was told medium settings, but not sure of overclocking. I'm scared to overclock because my region gets extremely hot in the summer and the few times I've tried overclocking even just 0.1~0.2GHz in the past my system started crashing.

just try to OC and monitor the heat and dont be worried too much , if it crash increase the voltage a bit and monitor the heat . I live in the hottest spot on planet earth according to yahoo and i OC'ed my I7 4790 to 4.8 Ghz on stock fan .