Uuuuaaaah..! I have started building now..!

Triggerhappy69

:shocking: Oh man! Keep working TH. I'm sure You'll get similar effect.

About styrodur:

You could call to "advertising agency" (well, i don't know why in Poland every small studio, workshop making ads is called agency 'cuz it doesn't work that way - mayby advertising workshop is more proper). That workshop should have in their service laser cut of styrodur. You may ask them about the price for material (it's cheap) or even order to cut it on laser by your project sent in .cdr, .ai, .eps file on firm e-mail. You will probably get it in two days since ordering. You don't need to go there personaly. They will send it to You via courier. Think about it.

[EDIT] There are probably pleny of similar way like making quick form, then filling it with poliuretan foam then process gotten cast. Am I thinking right?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update january 09. 2008

Well.. I have finished the epoxying of the Cyclic stick box now. Tonight I will give it a layer of black paint, and start sanding the surfaces..! The black coat of paint is just to better see where the "dimples" might be.. All of it should optimally be sanded off when I have finished..!

Here I'm bonding the fibercloth to the plug.. A bloody meesy job. And I had to do it in three stages. First a layer of fibercloth, then some sanding to get the rought edges of, then one more layer of fibercloth and finally a good solid layer of epoxyresin to give me something to sand away without exposing the threads (better overall finish that way.. i hope)

[ATTACH]14165[/ATTACH]

And here it is awaiting the coat of paint and some heavy duty sanding to make it look sweet..!

[ATTACH]14166[/ATTACH]

Also I have been working on a way to make the 4-way switch out of things I have lying arround in my workshop.. This how far I have come.. The measures (seen from above) is 30mm x 30mm..

[ATTACH]14167[/ATTACH]

Also a project that I will start tonight.. Wish me luck.. It's going to be fiddly..!

:music_whistling:

"But (504)Brewber said they were'nt friendly.. So I took'em out.!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Update: 4-way Rocker Switch building..

To Urze: Thanks a lot mate..! That's really a compliment I'll save..! (how the hell DO you patent something anyway..? Naaaah.. I'll just keep sharing my ideas.. Most of them stink anyway..!):cry:

Here's the finalized drawings of the 4-way switch for the panel in exploded view.:

[ATTACH]14179[/ATTACH]

As you see, I have split the connection plates into two pieces. One for guiding the connector pin into its outermost postition, and one that will work as electrical connection for the switch.. I am making these from a pice of copper PCB board that I'll etch the contact points from with PCB etchng "thingie" (ferrotricloride or something like that..)

I have also cut out some notches from the guiding plate to allow me to have solering points on it..

Here's the 30mmX30mm plates that hold the ball-point for the switch. It's made for two pieces of plexiglass. One 4mm and one 2mm that i just a 7mm drill to taper the sidewalls, then I used the Dremel and a bit I had lying arround and Hey Presto..! It actually works like a charm..! ( An important note here.. I first made the ball-joint's on a large plate, and THEN cut it to the correct 30x30mm size.)

[ATTACH]14180[/ATTACH]

The Ball-joint was "stolen from this Gibson Guitar switch.. I tell you... finding this was a stroke of luck for me.! I searched for weeks trying to find it..!

[ATTACH]14181[/ATTACH]

Here's the part you need..!

[ATTACH]14182[/ATTACH]

All the parts laid out before final sanding, adjusting and mounting:

[ATTACH]14183[/ATTACH]

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

my brother works at a guitar shop. I will have hem order me one and start my own go at it. was wondering how to do it. are you goind to use a ball berring at the end of the spring for the contac to the pc board? Or just the spring?

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

my brother works at a guitar shop. I will have hem order me one and start my own go at it. was wondering how to do it. are you goind to use a ball berring at the end of the spring for the contac to the pc board? Or just the spring?

Neither of those actually..! I am working on a simpler model of the switch right now. One with only "in-house" parts (apart from the Gibson switch).. Things like ball pen springs and so on..

And with no need to glue the plexiglass pieces toghether (alligning them is a bitch.. and you need speciall glue to make the bond permanent)... Epoxy will only keep it together for a while, Crazy glue (like ZAP) is to brittle.. And ther's just not a whole lot of room for fixing it all together and alligning it with 1,5mm screws..

Give me a couple of hours in front of my computer and I'll post detailed drawings and a suggestion for parts list. But first I must eat..!:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Update 4-way rocker switch 11 jan 2007

Quick before I go to bed..!

Here's the new version of the switch.. It should be much easyer to make.. You just make all the plates 1-2mm to big, stack them on top of eachother with the switch-ball hole in center and drill the holes with a 3mm drill.. Taper the top plate ever so gently to allow for countersunk screws to be used.. And there you have it.. Now adjust the bottom plates to whatever distance you prefere, and the hard part in done.. :music_whistling:

[ATTACH]14196[/ATTACH]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ka-50 Cyclic Stick update

Well here's a short updte so far:

I started up with making a plug from foam..

attachment.php?attachmentid=14110&d=1199635623

Then Some fibregalss was bonded onto it with exopy resin:

attachment.php?attachmentid=14165&d=1199895768

After it had hardened I riugh sanded the outside and poured gasoline into the foam to remove it... The result was that all the foam got eched away and left the inside like this:

2146509465_Cyclicstickafterremovingfoamwithgasoline.jpg.f37130f69b0295d3d7db6304b431a38f.jpg

The remianing resin on the inside was soft and could be sraped/sanded out by hand. Leaving the inside looking like this:

1889075828_Cyclicstickafterremovingfoamwithgasolineandsandinginside(1).jpg.d83e851caf0f8dd1c5bb914a32dbec06.jpg

A quick test-fit on the stick:

427556835_Cyclicsticktestfittingonthejoystick(1).jpg.4c85f454fb0938c948f00cbd2e14a679.jpg

Now I have given the box a thin coat of black paint, just to see the rough spots better.. It's drying right now, so I'll start sanding, and adding some epoxy filler tonight. Then I'll add some reinforment fibreglass strips to the weak spots on the inside, cut out the upper accsess hatch and bonding in strips of wood to attach it with screws. And finally make the wall to mount the switches and coolie hats on.

More as it comes along..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Final assmbly of the Ka-50 Cockpit

Having been out of town I haven't had time to finish the Stick yet. But I have found time to work on the final assembly drawings for the cockpit.

And here they are so far:

379027537_ka-50cockpitassembly05.thumb.jpg.24d76d11475409f2bb9cb62369f8962c.jpg

884911278_ka-50cockpitassembly03.thumb.jpg.6b9e224f50174513d16d260db72f3542.jpg

350520250_ka-50cockpitassembly02.thumb.jpg.2a2fbdf091cd7c1d09d1c7b41be83835.jpg

481044980_ka-50cockpitassembly04.thumb.jpg.3fa196c6c8d7dadc6b8b8245b807d3af.jpg

1650320082_ka-50cockpitassembly01.thumb.jpg.f7a0ee7c4813a9dc8f0df7c9fafbf2a6.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

APU/Engine Start Up Panel Building it..!

Yeah yeah.. I know..! I dumped the last APU panel in the trash can after looking once more at my choise of building matereal and general finish..!

So I thought I would come up with a plan for building ALL the panels. And just change the dimentions and layout..! just to speed up the building prosess a bit..

Well here's the APU Panel in it's parts:

1662431529_APUPanelBuilding(1).jpg.b37d4d00fc63c9f8c1ece97a95ddb955.jpg

All the layers in working order.

1st. A 1mm aluminium plate to attach the switches to.

2nd. Two 3mm PP Plates that will give the 3D effect and build the APU Panel i little higher.

3rd. A 2mm PP plate that will be used to attach the Cyrillic lettering on, and to strenghten the panel bu making a Box Construction.

4th. A 1mm PP plate that mask off the lettering. (and maybe the backilghting to)

1952308208_APUPanelBuilding(2).jpg.cd2d8039975e623c636d63fd598fe1bd.jpg

The Alu plate and the unfinished 3mm middle plate. As you see I just glue the prints to the plates for more easy sanding and drilling.

[ATTACH]14356[/ATTACH]

The two to layers.. ( All of the layers will be painted dull black before assembling)

[ATTACH]14357[/ATTACH]

The 15x30mm Warning light is made up from strips that I cut 20mm wide, and then just cut and glued together like a box. The top is a 1mm plexiplate that will hold the colored print behind it. It will all be lighted by a 5V LED of the right color (green I think..?)

Well I am going to make some printable drawings from my own now. And post it here later on.. If you want the drawings in an other format than PDF just PM me. And I'll gladly share it ..! :smartass:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

APU Panel in Pdf Format..

Phuuuh..! Glad that's done..!:cry:

[ATTACH]14360[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14361[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14362[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14363[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14364[/ATTACH]

I didn't have time to add the dimetions to the Pdf's.. If you need them I'll redo them..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here's the exploded version and a prayer that it will end up looking like this..!!!:music_whistling:

[ATTACH]14358[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14359[/ATTACH]

Pdf files coming up next..!

1 thing. Your custom 4way is in 180 off if im right.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

Well, Trigger, it certainly looks very proffessional to me!!! and your building at lightspeed!!:)

Carry on the good work!!

Cheers,

Wasserfall

Thanx mate..! Things finally started to lossen up a bit as far as building spped goes..

1 thing. Your custom 4way is in 180 off if im right.

You're quite right.. I'll make sure to turn it arround in the drawings.. It's still not the final version of the 4-way though.. I still have to finish building the damn thing. And make sure it actually works AND feels right..!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How does the 4-way switch move guys..? Any ideas?

First alternative is that it has to go back to it's center position like this:

[ATTACH]14398[/ATTACH]

Or does it have the ability to go from one corner to the other like this:

[ATTACH]14399[/ATTACH]

(i am hoping for alternative two.. It'll make building it a lot easyer..):doh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's still not the final version of the 4-way though.. I still have to finish building the damn thing. And make sure it actually works AND feels right..!

The feal right is going to be the hard part. The thing that I was thinking of was a spring over the switch shaft (just about 1cm longer). With a sleve over it like a shock that is pushed out. Have the end rounded for it to come out of the holes easy. That is my plan of attack on it. This will be the best bet on getting the Click whin it drops in the contact area. That shuld get you the feal you want.

As for the guid plate. I think take the 1 and 2 and meat in the middle. just round off the edges on the #1 and loose the hole in the middle(unless you want a nutruel spot).

The feal right is going to be the hard part. The thing that I was thinking of was a spring over the switch shaft (just about 1cm longer). With a sleve over it like a shock that is pushed out. Have the end rounded for it to come out of the holes easy. That is my plan of attack on it. This will be the best bet on getting the Click whin it drops in the contact area. That shuld get you the feal you want.

As for the guid plate. I think take the 1 and 2 and meat in the middle. just round off the edges on the #1 and loose the hole in the middle(unless you want a nutruel spot).

You are right..! I have tested both one and two now. And the best is something in the middle like you say..!

Having a hard time finding a way to get the right feel to it though.. The mechanical setup with a spring-loaded shaft solloution is REALLY hard to make .. working on it though..!

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow Trigger :yes:, you are really going at lightspeed (unlike me :no:) you really got the hang of SW I see:smilewink:

About the four way switch, wouldn't it be better if the groundplate was curved, that way you always get the same feeling when the shaft or spring (or something else) falls into one of the holes, now it's harder to get the stick in the neutral position then to get it in one of the corners, if you know what I mean.

I know it's easy for me to say, but maybe you can make a curved plate from epoxy on a ball of some kind.

Keep up the great work Trigger

:joystick:

HI JaNko, well yes,... sorry for not letting you guys know about the project status.

But my problem at the moment is that our company is growing to much, which is a good thing offcourse:smilewink: ; but it keeps me from doing my private projects (which it still is).

In the little spare time I have, I'm not always motivated to go on with this work on the stick, because it's the same kind of work I do all day long (if you know what I mean).

But I defanitly going through with this project, Triggerhappy, Wasserfall and Joe Kurr are getting me motivated again with their great work at the moment.

C U

......."Comba'ya my lord"..!

But I defanitly going through with this project, Triggerhappy, Wasserfall and Joe Kurr are getting me motivated again with their great work at the moment.

C U

That's a two way street my friend..! If it wasn't for your work I would NEVER have attempted to build an as true to scale as possible cockpit..! your work inspired me, and it makes me happy to hear that our work inspires you..!

But before we all start holding hands and sing "Comba'ya my lord", here's what we discussed the other day for the "right feel" click..!

I bought a sheet of 0,2mm copper from a hardware store and I im going to cut out the ... well see for yourselves:

[ATTACH]14488[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14489[/ATTACH]

I might make the attachment plate of it a two-layer just to keep the rigidity.. !

HPO: I have e-mailed the assembly file to your MSN adress. Please knock ourselves out on it and return it with your improvements.. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Update Pics 24. january 2008

APU Panel is nearing it's final stage of building. I opted for a backlighted version of it, since the simulator has this feature.

174853362_APUPanelVer.20(3).jpg.f2320b204b7f24849d879c24e6477d7f.jpg

The seperate layers..

879316050_APUPanelVer.20(5).jpg.000884f20e94e9ee4094331b909e10a6.jpg

Backplate with the 3mm plate that keep the backlight constrained to the text areas.

574813939_APUPanelVer.20(6).jpg.cfa29b4cc6ca5b90a4fbfc4ddc075907.jpg

A quick look at what it will look like when done. I'll paint all external surfaces with dull black paint after a final fitting and some sanding.

1389480794_APUPanelVer.20(2).jpg.44e177f7d257bd9ac895faf6b12255ed.jpg

I just love these LED fixtures.. makes the whole thing come togehter so nice..!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]